Luxembourg

MAKAVELI

Companies have been making more than ever, the stock market has skyrocketed. Why haven't they been hiring and passing good will on to hires? If they do now it will look like the good ole boy network. They will continue to run lean and try to get leaner to continue propping up the stock. We'll see.
Van like so many blind republicans believe if you give corporations and the rich more tax breaks it will result in higher wages and more jobs. He is delusional just like the rest of them.

vantexan

Companies have been making more than ever, the stock market has skyrocketed. Why haven't they been hiring and passing good will on to hires? If they do now it will look like the good ole boy network. They will continue to run lean and try to get leaner to continue propping up the stock. We'll see.
One thing that's a serious problem is the 30 hr rule in Obamacare. Companies are only hiring part-time and forcing others into part-time to avoid having to enforce Obamacare, which will cost them big time. Why do you think the business mandate was pushed backed until after the election? It would have been an even bigger albatross for Democrats, not that it would matter much anyways. No way will Obama sign anything repealing Obamacare, but he might be willing to fix parts of it.

Keep in mind also that companies are greatly benefitting from shedding millions of jobs in the recession. That's what has driven profits, and they aren't keen to give that up.

TUT

The 30 hour rule has been in affect for many years prior to the affordable health care act. I don't care if they repeal it or not, I hope whoever in in contol makes it better. However I will snicker if it is repealed and it just goes back to what it was, as if health care wasn't a problem. It was a huge problem then and still is one.

Right to the last part, I'm not sure what more corporate welfare they would accept that will end up with higher paying jobs. I'm not seeing it. We are stuck here for a good while it seems.

MAKAVELI

Keep in mind also that companies are greatly benefitting from shedding millions of jobs in the recession. That's what has driven profits, and they aren't keen to give that up.
Now you get it! Restructuring the tax code or eliminating the 30 hour work week provision in the ACA will not change this.

vantexan

Van like so many blind republicans believe if you give corporations and the rich more tax breaks it will result in higher wages and more jobs. He is delusional just like the rest of them.
And you always see things in the most simplistic terms. The world is much more complicated and nuanced than your writing indicates. But here's a simple truism: JFK said in the early 60's that cutting taxes actually stimulates the economy and results in even more revenue for the gov't from all the resulting economic activity. He was right then and it still holds true today. The problem with today's Democrats is they can't stand that in our system some really win big. I'm much more concerned with most doing at least reasonably well with avenues open to them to do even better, depending on their willingness to work hard. That's the economy I want, not income redistribution from Uncle Sugar. Too many in this economy can't find decent jobs, too many young adults in school loan debt and living with their parents. I've said over and over here that corporations are turning us into wage slaves while they hoard the money. Give them an incentive to invest in new business, create jobs, and compete for workers in a more robust economy. If that happens, as they say, a rising tide raises all boats.

vantexan

The 30 hour rule has been in affect for many years prior to the affordable health care act. I don't care if they repeal it or not, I hope whoever in in contol makes it better. However I will snicker if it is repealed and it just goes back to what it was, as if health care wasn't a problem. It was a huge problem then and still is one.

Right to the last part, I'm not sure what more corporate welfare they would accept that will end up with higher paying jobs. I'm not seeing it. We are stuck here for a good while it seems.
The 30 hr rule as it applies to Obamacare is a major problem that's keeping people from working fulltime.

vantexan

When the business mandate kicks in we'll see if Obamacare is truly the solution Dems think it is.

MAKAVELI

And you always see things in the most simplistic terms. The world is much more complicated and nuanced than your writing indicates. But here's a simple truism: JFK said in the early 60's that cutting taxes actually stimulates the economy and results in even more revenue for the gov't from all the resulting economic activity. He was right then and it still holds true today. The problem with today's Democrats is they can't stand that in our system some really win big. I'm much more concerned with most doing at least reasonably well with avenues open to them to do even better, depending on their willingness to work hard. That's the economy I want, not income redistribution from Uncle Sugar. Too many in this economy can't find decent jobs, too many young adults in school loan debt and living with their parents. I've said over and over here that corporations are turning us into wage slaves while they hoard the money. Give them an incentive to invest in new business, create jobs, and compete for workers in a more robust economy. If that happens, as they say, a rising tide raises all boats.
It's a different world since JFK was alive. I'm sorry that you believe these corporations have the American public in their interest. They don't. Plain and simple. If they could turn America into China, they would. Taxes are not holding these corporations from creating jobs. They are. FedEx is a prime example of this philosophy at work. The more they make the more they take for themselves. FedEx stock could hit $200 , executives cashing out $millions and the workers would continue to get scraps and benefits cut. Simply because there's nothing to stop them. So believe in the tooth fairy if you want. Even if they repealed Obamacare and cut taxes, you would get a measly 2% raise next year. ;)

oldngray

nowhere special
Even other European countries hate Luxembourg.
http://deredactie.be/center manager/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.2140587

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
God, are you that dumb? Do you really think that's going to happen? Somehow, you (and others) think there is now a mandate for sweeping overhaul. It isn't going to happen. To pretend that the GOP is going to get a Christmas List delivered is just clueless reasoning.

Our government is broken, and the Republicans another chance to "fix" it, just like they did when they drove us off a cliff. Floor it, and full reverse!!
No, that is not going to happen. I was responding to a poster who said congress could do nothing to the IRS since they were part of the Treasury Dept. and separate from congress.
But watch out for changes or the replacement of the IRS. Republicans want that dept. anolished and replaced.

hypo hanna

If policies are enacted that increase employment then just maybe we can reduce welfare roles and get people back to work.
not going to happen. Corporations (like fedex), prefer higher unemployment. You have higher educated people competing for fewer jobs and they can pay them less.

vantexan

not going to happen. Corporations (like fedex), prefer higher unemployment. You have higher educated people competing for fewer jobs and they can pay them less.
Except we don't live in a static world. When there's money to be made investors and entrepreneurs will start businesses to capture it. We're already seeing FedEx offering 15% more to retain people in areas that are booming. I remember in the early 2000's truckers telling me they were constantly being approached with better pay offers as there weren't enough truckers to fill the demand. Down times don't last forever, neither do boom times, make hay while you can.

MAKAVELI

Except we don't live in a static world. When there's money to be made investors and entrepreneurs will start businesses to capture it. We're already seeing FedEx offering 15% more to retain people in areas that are booming. I remember in the early 2000's truckers telling me they were constantly being approached with better pay offers as there weren't enough truckers to fill the demand. Down times don't last forever, neither do boom times, make hay while you can.
That 15% is only temporary. After peak it's gone. Only way to make a raise permanent is with a union contract. That 15% also proves FedEx can do better but chooses not to. Corporate taxes and Obamacare have absolutely nothing to with that decision.

hypo hanna

Small businesses and entrepreneurs don't have influence over government, Mega corporations do. And that is who the policies will be shaped to benefit.
More tax breaks for those corporations will not result in more jobs. They haven't in the past and they won't in the future. One of the greatest tax breaks corporations received was the American jobs creation act of 2004. Large multinationals were able to repatriate huge profits at a greatly reduced tax rate by promising to use that money to create jobs. They failed to keep their end of the bargain.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OK,ote="vantexan, post: 1445079, member: 24302"]One thing that's a serious problem is the 30 hr rule in Obamacare. Companies are only hiring part-time and forcing others into part-time to avoid having to enforce Obamacare, which will cost them big time. Why do you think the business mandate was pushed backed until after the election? It would have been an even bigger albatross for Democrats, not that it would matter much anyways. No way will Obama sign anything repealing Obamacare, but he might be willing to fix parts of it.

Keep in mind also that companies are greatly benefitting from shedding millions of jobs in the recession. That's what has driven profits, and they aren't keen to give that up.[/quote]

OK, so why not modify the ACA accordingly? Sounds like job 1 for Mitch and Boehner is to try and kill the whole thing.

vantexan

Small businesses and entrepreneurs don't have influence over government, Mega corporations do. And that is who the policies will be shaped to benefit.
More tax breaks for those corporations will not result in more jobs. They haven't in the past and they won't in the future. One of the greatest tax breaks corporations received was the American jobs creation act of 2004. Large multinationals were able to repatriate huge profits at a greatly reduced tax rate by promising to use that money to create jobs. They failed to keep their end of the bargain.
Well I am talking about the overall economy, not just FedEx. But FedEx and UPS are hiring more people because they expect the economy to boom. Large corporations come and go too, and have to change to meet the challenges of an ever changing marketplace or they too will fail. We've talked extensively of FedEx couriers leaving in droves. What will FedEx have to do to retain them? Granted, FedEx will do everything possible to hold costs down, but if they can't keep employees they'll fail. I know it sounds like I'm being contradictory, but I believe both that FedEx can do better by us, and that they can only do so much. Look at the numbers, FedEx can top us out faster, but they can only do so much. On one side we have a company that has reamed us, lying to us to retain us, and determined to give us as little as possible to make Wall Street happy. On the other side we have employees determined to get much higher pay and better benefits, and anything less is being cheated in their view. The reality of what can be done is in the middle, and some will save themselves alot of angst if they come to grips with that.

vantexan

OK, so why not modify the ACA accordingly? Sounds like job 1 for Mitch and Boehner is to try and kill the whole thing.

No doubt they would if they could. What will be interesting is will Obama work with them to modify it? They can't change a thing without his signature.