Lying customers

rod

Retired 22 years
I fill in on a route. The regular guy caters to businesses all over his route, breaking trace no matter where he is to the tune of an extra 30+ miles a day compared to when I run it. I run a straight trace and finish an 1 1/2 hours before he does.
Now....I now how regular drivers hate when a cover driver "tears" up their route but there is something to be said about running a route efficiently and keeping the customer contact to a minimum.
I have never received a complaint from any one of the businesses that he caters to for being later that the regular guy. So I do not know why he does it.

I was that driver who broke trace to deliver business early. I did it because the jelly spined management team bent over backward and made all kinds of promise's to any business that called in to complain about their delivery time. My opinion about taking more time to do it that way never mattered. Also our lovely account rep who signed up new accounts didn't give a crap about where a business fell on my route---he would promise evey new accout anything to get them to sign up, including being delivered early. All a vacation driver with any knowledge of a route has to do is plead stupidity and run the route like it should be ran and he will always look better on paper. That is why the regular driver "does it".

oldngray

nowhere special
I was that driver who broke trace to deliver business early. I did it because the jelly spined management team bent over backward and made all kinds of promise's to any business that called in to complain about their delivery time. My opinion about taking more time to do it that way never mattered. Also our lovely account rep who signed up new accounts didn't give a crap about where a business fell on my route---he would promise evey new accout anything to get them to sign up, including being delivered early. All a vacation driver with any knowledge of a route has to do is plead stupidity and run the route like it should be ran and he will always look better on paper. That is why the regular driver "does it".

Account reps aren't supposed to have the authority to make operational changes but of course they will promise anything trying to get that commission. Even if its impossible for the route driver to do.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
superballs----is there a reason you are unable to deliver her grounds along with her airs? Why is the bid driver able to do it but you are unable to?

That store does not usually get airs. He delivers that store while running airs which are to nearby stores. Well, he and I run the route a bit differently. Most routes that I run I try to run air and ground together for most company's, even if it means getting my last air delivered by 10:29

MethodsMan

Cover drivers are supposed to manage the route while the regular driver enjoys a day off or is on vacation. When I was a cover driver I tried my best to follow the same routine as the bid driver. All I ask of my cover drivers is that they try their best to take care of the customers while not being taken advantage of.

I have to comment on a few of the previous posts. First of all, there is no way that I am sitting at a stop for 15 minutes waiting for the receiver to open the door. I will back up to their dock, ring their bell, sheet their packages, ring a second time if necessary and, if no one shows up within 5 minutes I post an info notice and move on to the next stop. There is a difference between being patient and being taken advantage of. Secondly, the "driver did not knock" complaints are bs----what driver is going to take the time to make the delivery attempt and fill out an info notice and not knock on the door.

upsguy----sheeting the package twice on the same day and counting it as two separate attempts, the second resulting in the package being held in the center and a postcard sent, will earn you a sit down with your center manager.

superballs----is there a reason you are unable to deliver her grounds along with her airs? Why is the bid driver able to do it but you are unable to?

It sounds to me like a few of you need to work on your customer service skills.

After reading that, hot damn! You're an American Superstar!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That store does not usually get airs. He delivers that store while running airs which are to nearby stores. Well, he and I run the route a bit differently. Most routes that I run I try to run air and ground together for most company's, even if it means getting my last air delivered by 10:29

We start at 0940 and there are days when we don't leave until 10. With a 10 minute drive to my first stop it is very hard to get more than 4-5 air stops delivered by 1030 when we leave at 10.

barnyard

KTM rider
The customer only gets a refund if they complain. So UPS isn't issuing refunds for many late airs.

Our largest shippers have people that track packages and make sure they get their refund. A late NDA is not free though, they are refunded the difference between NDA and NDA saver. If we totally botch it, it may be the difference between NDA and ground.

FilingBluesFL

The customer only gets a refund if they complain. So UPS isn't issuing refunds for many late airs.

We have one supervisor that gets up there and screams and yells about how it is "an automatic instant refund." That we make absolutely no money what so ever on that package.

The story changes with every mouth.

That happens all the time here. People think if they call in "driver didn't knock" that we will be forced to come back to make another attempt that day.

The only time I go back somewhere is when it's a veteran waiting for their meds and they're not there in the morning (most are next day airs and it's easier just to go back later that night instead of rushing to get it done in the morning by a commit time, and well, they're a veteran.).

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
That's insane. I hope you have a lot of air drivers.
it's similar in my building...or at least in my center. They stagger driver start times from 910-930. If preload is late wrapping up....my drivers can leave as late as 940 with a 40 min drive to their first stop....and 24 airs. Air is always late....

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It used to be in the past that the customer would only get a refund if they called and complained. Guaranteed service refunds are automatic and refund the difference between the level of service we were unable to provide to the next available level; in the case of NDA, it would be the difference between NDA and NDA SVR.

It also used to be that refusals of premium packages were sent back using the same service level-----they are now sent back using 3DS.

barnyard----we used to have "cottage industries" near the border that did nothing but track packages all day long. This is back when you could track an unlimited number of packages through ups.com at the same time----now you can only track 25 at a time. These businesses worked on a percentage basis, sharing part of the refund with the companies that hired them.

barnyard

KTM rider
barnyard----we used to have "cottage industries" near the border that did nothing but track packages all day long. This is back when you could track an unlimited number of packages through ups.com at the same time----now you can only track 25 at a time. These businesses worked on a percentage basis, sharing part of the refund with the companies that hired them.

We had those here too.

upschuck

Our largest shippers have people that track packages and make sure they get their refund. A late NDA is not free though, they are refunded the difference between NDA and NDA saver. If we totally botch it, it may be the difference between NDA and ground.

Are you sure about that? The customer gets all the shipping charges back, less the fuel surcharge, but can even get that back if you question it. Unless something has changed in the last year.

barnyard

KTM rider
Are you sure about that? The customer gets all the shipping charges back, less the fuel surcharge, but can even get that back if you question it. Unless something has changed in the last year.

My wife used to work for a major shipper and the info I got, I got from her. The only time they got a full refund was when a late NDA was refused because it was too late.

upschuck

My wife used to work for a major shipper and the info I got, I got from her. The only time they got a full refund was when a late NDA was refused because it was too late.

I just call "field support", even if it is past the 2 week(?) time period to request a refund, they will put it under something else(not sure what they call it since it has been a while ago) and refund the money back. Only have called for two packages, got full refunds for both.