Lynching is legal?

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
saw this news blurb from UPS . I never knew it was legal?

UPS said June 8 it urges immediate passage of the federal Antilynching Act and state-based hate crime bills, including Georgia’s. UPS is among numerous major Georgia corporations urging the state to pass a state hate crimes bill.
Strange Fruit.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
I discovered Nina in the 70’s ... gut wrenching at times growing up in rural South Georgia.
She left the States and moved to France to get away from the controversy.
You would think back to Africa where apparently they all live a life of sun shine and lolliepops.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I always think of Billie Holiday associated with Strange Fruit

Nina Simone was more contemporaneous with my youth.

"Strange Fruit" is a song recorded by Billie Holiday in 1939, written by Abel Meeropol and published in 1937. It protests the lynching of Black Americans, with lyrics that compare the victims to the fruit of trees. Such lynchings had reached a peak in the Southern United States at the turn of the 20th century, and the great majority of victims were black.[2] The song has been called "a declaration of war" and "the beginning of the civil rights movement".

Meeropol set his lyrics to music with his wife and singer Laura Duncan and performed it as a protest song in New York City venues in the late 1930s, including Madison Square Garden. The song has been covered by numerous artists, including Nina Simone, UB40, Jeff Buckley, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Robert Wyatt, and Dee Dee Bridgewater, and Holiday's version was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame in 1978. It was also included in the list of Songs of the Century by the Recording Industry of America and the National Endowment for the Arts.

Last edited: