Magical place?

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
"Use existing equipment to assist in the lift or lower."
Ah, the voice of experience. Oh, wait...
Don't the trailers have built-in rollers anymore or is he talking about unloading the pick-ups out of the package cars?
Depends where you are. Around here, basically, no. At my current hub, there is only 1 CPU account that I know of with those. Anything else with fixed rollers on our property is basically a mistake, because that was the only equipment left somewhere else. Having worked at multiple hubs in my Local, I'd say it's less than 1 in 50 (closer to 100) customers that want that equipment to load (or it's the customer counter trailer).
cheap-cheap-cheap -----You would think over the life of a trailer built in rollers would pay for themselves many times over.
You're right, they do cost more. Couldn't be anywhere near as much as it costs to clean out pallets and shrink wrap from all the other trailers, but what do I know? But seriously, most shippers around here are set up to palletize their freight (and have an automated machine to wrap them).

rod

Retired 22 years
Ah, the voice of experience. Oh, wait...
Depends where you are. Around here, basically, no. At my current hub, there is only 1 CPU account that I know of with those. Anything else with fixed rollers on our property is basically a mistake, because that was the only equipment left somewhere else. Having worked at multiple hubs in my Local, I'd say it's less than 1 in 50 (closer to 100) customers that want that equipment to load (or it's the customer counter trailer).
You're right, they do cost more. Couldn't be anywhere near as much as it costs to clean out pallets and shrink wrap from all the other trailers, but what do I know? But seriously, most shippers around here are set up to palletize their freight (and have an automated machine to wrap them).

What do you mean palletized freight and wrapped pallets. You must be talking UPS Freight -- not regular UPS.

km3

Are you talking about the old drop bottom trailers that you had to raise the wood sections up to get at the stuff underneath.

No. I've seen those around, but those are mostly used to transport empty bags to another nearby distribution center. Only small sort deals with those ones around here. I unloaded a pup that just happened to have rollers bolted in. Seemed to be in relatively good condition, too.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
I would guess about 80% of feeder pickups are customer loaded onto pallets

Attachments

• 1463697973717.jpg
    1463697973717.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 107

Tiredbrown

Professional box jockey
In my building they are starting to replace the old extendos with longer ones that will reach all the way into a 53 they should have done it about 10 years ago though.

Retiree

Sorry, screwed up previous reply. I actually saw a new prototype trailer the other day where the floor has a thick mil plastic sheet that connects to the conveyor and it pulls the sheet towards the conveyor thus pulling the packages towards the unload device. No bare metal irregs allowed.

mrwiliker

I thought all hubs had extendos for years. They have over 80 in unload here and at least as many in load side although there are still quite a few doors using rollers in load. They are busy building another large section to our hub as well. New small sort, automated sort aisle. More unload doors and maybe up to 6 new load areas (30 or more doors). I thought our hub was already big as it was. They moved all the air sorts (4) to a new state of the art building across the street and are turning our building into a colossal ground and bulk facility.