making others look bad???

deathracer

is it possible that if i work at a fast pace while another teamster works at a slow pace im making him/her look bad. i was told today to not work so fast by a friend cause some other guy was saying im making everyone else look bad but at the same time i know the guy saying this doesnt like me. i work at a certain pace cause i dont like being backed up on my sort. i try and handle my belt the best to my ability while working safe of course, should i slow down and get backed up so they can send me help(eventually) or should just keep doing what im doing. i dont want to get my co-workers mad but at the same time they dont know what its liked being backed up and not getting help on my belt. is there a rule on this cause i dont want to get in trouble with union or management?

tieguy

Banned
is it possible that if i work at a fast pace while another teamster works at a slow pace im making him/her look bad. i was told today to not work so fast by a friend cause some other guy was saying im making everyone else look bad but at the same time i know the guy saying this doesnt like me. i work at a certain pace cause i dont like being backed up on my sort. i try and handle my belt the best to my ability while working safe of course, should i slow down and get backed up so they can send me help(eventually) or should just keep doing what im doing. i dont want to get my co-workers mad but at the same time they dont know what its liked being backed up and not getting help on my belt. is there a rule on this cause i dont want to get in trouble with union or management?

work at a pace your comfortable with that is safe. Don't worry about what others think of you.

drewed

Shankman
is there a rule on this cause i dont want to get in trouble with union or management?

The company complain about good production HA
and as its been stated in other threads, the union doesnt carry any standard of work.

so go with what Tie said, work safe, work comfortably because we want you back tomorrow

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The key word is "safe".

Work at a safe pace, followong the methods you are instructed to use.

What is safe for you may not be safe for another person. No two people are the same.

If the belt gets backed up it isnt your problem. That is an operational issue that needs to be resolved by management.

There is a common sense element to follow. Hypothetically speaking, if you are a 22 yr old guy 6'1 and 225 lbs, you cant just shove a bunch of over-70lb. irregs down the belt faster than the 45 yr old, 105 lb woman at the other end can safely handle them. You might be working at a safe pace for you, while at the same time creating problems for someone else. Again, no two people are the same. It is your managements responsibility to see to it that the various elements of the operation coordinate smoothly.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
The young cover drivers are always complaining that whenever they run my route they get a split that I never seem to get so that even when they skip their lunch they can't get in any earlier than I do. Someday they will figure it out, and so will you :happy-very:

Mike Hawk

I make all the other Teamsters look bad just by showing up for work, they see me and are all like "I'm ugly compared to him."

dillweed

No one can make anyone look bad.
One does that to them self.

I agree totally. If the smaller, less muscular worker is doing the best they can with a good attitude, good attendance and so forth they don't look bad.

If the larger, stronger worker is slamming pkgs for the fun of seeing someone struggle, they are the ones who look bad.

If management is directing the stronger worker to slam pkgs to the slower worker THEY look bad to us but look good to upper management.

deathracer

my friend told me this, cause he thinks management was expecting the same from them wish i can agree with but at the same time me and some other guy(also a sorter) have the lowest seniority/experience in our area wich makes no sense why im supposedly sorting faster/better than anyone else. if ur wondering im also a small guy.

Hawaii50

What you have experienced happens in Hawaii all the time. Some workers either don't have the ability to plan ahead, or they are just lazy and want to do the minimum amount of work, and let others pick up the slack.

tieguy

Banned
I agree totally. If the smaller, less muscular worker is doing the best they can with a good attitude, good attendance and so forth they don't look bad.

If the larger, stronger worker is slamming pkgs for the fun of seeing someone struggle, they are the ones who look bad.

If management is directing the stronger worker to slam pkgs to the slower worker THEY look bad to us but look good to upper management.

the big brawny football players don't always do well humping trailers. The leaner types usually did better. jmho

dillweed

the big brawny football players don't always do well humping trailers. The leaner types usually did better. jmho

You are correct, tie. I've seen many big guys crash and burn within a week or two. Rather than use size as an example I should have used "more determined workers"?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

In our center, we have a "female" preloader who is maybe 5' 2" and 110 lbs and is by far our hardest worker. Yes, the word female is in quotes for a reason but not the one pertaining to this discussion. She busts her ass daily, has her cars wrapped up in time and helps the loader next to her wrap up his car, as well as keeping the end of the belt clean for the tug drivers. We have a former high school football star, 6' 3" and close to 250-260, who couldn't carry her pelvic protector (female jock). He has a hard time keeping up and always waits for the drivers to help him wrap up his cars.

This topic is the basic frustration many employees have with the Union mentality which exists within UPS and has been discussed in many, many threads here on BC. ("How many pkgs must I scan on average?") This also reminds me of when I was a cover driver working my butt off to get a FT job. A few of the older guys used to complain to me to slow down when I covered their routes. When I told them I was simply trying to get a FT job they said that I was making them look bad.

I never worked on the inside as I was hired off the street but would have done the job to the best of my ability at a pace that I felt safely comfortable with little or no concern that I was making someone else "look bad".

I will not apologize for the work ethic that my father instilled in me from a very early age nor will I "slow down" for fear of making anyone else "look bad". I do my job at a pace that is comfortable to me with the level of service that my customers expect.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

In our center, we have a "female" preloader who is maybe 5' 2" and 110 lbs and is by far our hardest worker. Yes, the word female is in quotes for a reason but not the one pertaining to this discussion. She busts her ass daily, has her cars wrapped up in time and helps the loader next to her wrap up his car, as well as keeping the end of the belt clean for the tug drivers. We have a former high school football star, 6' 3" and close to 250-260, who couldn't carry her pelvic protector (female jock). He has a hard time keeping up and always waits for the drivers to help him wrap up his cars.

This topic is the basic frustration many employees have with the Union mentality which exists within UPS and has been discussed in many, many threads here on BC. ("How many pkgs must I scan on average?") This also reminds me of when I was a cover driver working my butt off to get a FT job. A few of the older guys used to complain to me to slow down when I covered their routes. When I told them I was simply trying to get a FT job they said that I was making them look bad.

I never worked on the inside as I was hired off the street but would have done the job to the best of my ability at a pace that I felt safely comfortable with little or no concern that I was making someone else "look bad".

I will not apologize for the work ethic that my father instilled in me from a very early age nor will I "slow down" for fear of making anyone else "look bad". I do my job at a pace that is comfortable to me with the level of service that my customers expect.

I second that emotion!

evilleace

Totally agree I work at a furious pace not to show others up but because I believe that is how you should work. Also if I am tired and moving a little slower I don't want anyone else to slow down to make me feel better I want to get the volume processed as quickly as possible.

Overpaid Union Thug

Working hard doesn't mean that you have to work as fast and as furiously as you can. In fact, that would be a horrible idea for anyone that plans on making a career out of this. Its also not part of the methods (believe it nor not). Its kind of like that old joke......

Two bulls were standing on the top of a hill overlooking a bunch of cows. One bull turns to the other and says "lets run down there and....

Oh nevermind.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Working hard doesn't mean that you have to work as fast and as furiously as you can. In fact, that would be a horrible idea for anyone that plans on making a career out of this. Its also not part of the methods (believe it nor not). Its kind of like that old joke......

Two bulls were standing on the top of a hill overlooking a bunch of cows. One bull turns to the other and says "lets run down there and....

Oh nevermind.

But people are all different. There are turtles and rabbits. They all get to where they're going, eventually. Same methods, different pace, one big happy family.