Man pinned between tractor, trailer at UPS facility in DeWitt

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
If common sense overflowed there'd be a lot less people on this planet. Back to topic.
From my understanding the accident was a person pinned between a tractor and the front of a trailer.

No, Nut, one does not get out and look around every time when backing. Only if you feel the situation may have changed.

To try and answer both your questions,
Imo I don't feel it's any more difficult/dangerous to back up a 53' than it is to back up a 28'. If your are pulling or backing a trailer in a straight line the amount of blind area directly behind you is the same, roughly 8.5' wide x13' high. What differs based on trailer length is how far behind you that blind area extends.
To me though it's all incidental if you follow the proper procedures for spotting a trailer.

Scan the area as you approach it.

Scan the area and the bay as your arrive.

Scan the area as you set up.

Begin your back.

If you do that you'll have both a mental and visual picture of your area and what's in it.

As far as safety items being mandatory on vehicles I'll make a long story short. My fathers equipment repair company has a maintenance contract with the state of MN to repair/maintain state vehicles. These have all the latest safety pieces on them. The number two reason that equipment comes into our shop is for damage repair from people crashing into them. People not paying attention,etc, are going to continue to do so irregardless of what safety requirements are around them.

What's the saying, You can't fix stupid.
I was interested cause I passed up my final four years as shifter. Kinda regret it in a way. I think your right about safety features and people not paying attention, it all comes down to paying attention all times. I had a safety tip that would be great for the newbie. Always assume theirs someone in the lanes around you, don't change until you look. Always at an intersection look in all lanes especially at a 4way 1 minute before you go on green.

moldsporh

If common sense overflowed there'd be a lot less people on this planet. Back to topic.
From my understanding the accident was a person pinned between a tractor and the front of a trailer.

I feel the safety aspect of this is very much on topic. We as drivers take a lot into consideration when backing and by having the necessary safety devices in place accidents are likely to be minimized.

There is the human factor, and since we don't get to go knock on the door of the family members to let them know their loved one has been either seriously injured or worse we don't get the full shock value.

The point I'm making is, UPS talks the talk about safety, we all know this, but comes up short when they have to walk the walk.

Alot more could be done and they choose not to do it.

Safety is a choice.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
I feel the safety aspect of this is very much on topic. We as drivers take a lot into consideration when backing and by having the necessary safety devices in place accidents are likely to be minimized.

There is the human factor, and since we don't get to go knock on the door of the family members to let them know their loved one has been either seriously injured or worse we don't get the full shock value.

The point I'm making is, UPS talks the talk about safety, we all know this, but comes up short when they have to walk the walk.

Alot more could be done and they choose not to do it.

Safety is a choice.

Safety devices are a band aid for proper training and procedures.

moldsporh

Safety devices are a band aid for proper training and procedures.

So by that rationale, we don't need horns, back up cameras, reflective vests in the yard? Kids won't run out into the street, cars won't pull out in front of us? etc...the list goes on.

I agree with you that proper training and procedures accounts to accident avoidance, but what end result are you after? UPS will put a telematics system in the vehicle at a cost of $600 per vehicle to monitor seat belts, bulkhead doors, pressing stop complete at a pickup stop with the engine running, but a $35 beeper is not an option? How many times do UPS vehicles back each day?

http://www.grainger.com/product/WOL.../rp/s/is/image/Grainger/13A522_AS01?$smthumb$

Proper training and procedures will only go so far, UPS needs to do more to take it farther. I still cannot believe a company that preaches safety as much as they do, has an enormous fleet of vehicles, many of them commercial, and have no back up alarms for them.

VonDutch

Bite your tongue, Missy
So by that rationale, we don't need horns, back up cameras, reflective vests in the yard? Kids won't run out into the street, cars won't pull out in front of us? etc...the list goes on.

I agree with you that proper training and procedures accounts to accident avoidance, but what end result are you after? UPS will put a telematics system in the vehicle at a cost of $600 per vehicle to monitor seat belts, bulkhead doors, pressing stop complete at a pickup stop with the engine running, but a $35 beeper is not an option? How many times do UPS vehicles back each day?

http://www.grainger.com/product/WOL.../rp/s/is/image/Grainger/13A522_AS01?$smthumb$

Proper training and procedures will only go so far, UPS needs to do more to take it farther. I still cannot believe a company that preaches safety as much as they do, has an enormous fleet of vehicles, many of them commercial, and have no back up alarms for them.

In 34 years of my driving some sort of vehicle, 25 for UPS, all without so much as putting a scratch in anything, killing anyone, and every one of those years in vehicles without these new fangled safety aids, some how I've managed to get by on skill and sticking to the basics and routines.

Maybe we just need a better quality of new driver?

moldsporh

In 34 years of my driving some sort of vehicle, 25 for UPS, all without so much as putting a scratch in anything, killing anyone, and every one of those years in vehicles without these new fangled safety aids, some how I've managed to get by on skill and sticking to the basics and routines.

Maybe we just need a better quality of new driver?

Yup, same here, albeit 19 years with UPS...no incidents.

It's the others though, chances are by being safe and following the methods there will be no mishaps.

But it may not be you or me, or the driver next to us but it doesn't matter. It's the one life that may get saved, IMO there is no price for that. Lord forbid it happens to a kid.

bluehdmc

I used to work in construction with heavy equipment that all had backup alarms. In a place where there are many machines operating with backup alarms you sort of get immune to them. I still tend to look up when I hear a double tap on a horn. Out on the street a backup alarm might be good, but I think in a large hub it would be chaotic. Between feeders backing up, carwash lining up package cars, etc. all you would hear would be one long, beep, beep, beep.