Management Blocking Move to Feeders

ManInBrown

I was picked to move to Feeders about a month ago. I studied my butt off to pass the CLP quickly to get in one of the first class dates which is next week. I was telling my current Manager that I was starting Monday (assuming they knew since there's only one more day before class), and they freaked out and said I wouldn't start until they said I could start. Now the Feeder office is telling me to come back tomorrow to see whether I will start Monday. Can anyone help me with my rights please? Does my current Manager have the ability to block the move to Feeders?
They do it all the time. Here around peak they don’t let anyone go. I had my Feeder seniority date moved up 7 months because I was supposed to come at peak and they held me till the following summer. Happens all the time. As long as they re not calling someone else up with less seniority instead of you, nothing you can do.

They do it all the time. Here around peak they don’t let anyone go. I had my Feeder seniority date moved up 7 months because I was supposed to come at peak and they held me till the following summer. Happens all the time. As long as they re not calling someone else up with less seniority instead of you, nothing you can do.
They did that even when you got your CLP that expires after 150 days? Did you have to get the CLP again?

Johney

Here the package manager has no say in what feeders does unless you have less than 10 weeks in feeders in the year then they can hold you through peak in package. Other than that if feeders call you up for school you go. I remember my manager blowing a gasket when I told him on Friday that I was in feeders on Monday.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Feeders has priority here. If they need you, they take you. Package can cry to feeder management and they might get their way sometimes but the final decision is up to feeders.

ManInBrown

They did that even when you got your CLP that expires after 150 days? Did you have to get the CLP again?
No. The way it works here is, you go by yourself to DMV and obtain your CLP. That’s just passing tests on the computer at DMV. Then once you have that they send us to an outside school. The school trains us and takes us to get our CDL. You pass the driving test and obtain CDL and then let HR know you’re all set. Then you are slotted on the list and they call you when it’s your turn.

ManInBrown

Feeders has priority here. If they need you, they take you. Package can cry to feeder management and they might get their way sometimes but the final decision is up to feeders.
Not here. Happens all the time. I would say more then half of our package to feeder drivers get their feeder seniority changed once they are in feeders because package wouldn’t let us go when it was our turn.

Johney

No. The way it works here is, you go by yourself to DMV and obtain your CLP. That’s just passing tests on the computer at DMV. Then once you have that they send us to an outside school. The school trains us and takes us to get our CDL. You pass the driving test and obtain CDL and then let HR know you’re all set. Then you are slotted on the list and they call you when it’s your turn.
All schooling here is done in house. You get your learners permit from the DMV by taking the tests on computer then do a week of school at our Hialeah hub, then a week of "production training"where you do actual runs with an on-road and if you pass that you go back to the hub for your driving test which is done by our feeder manager qualified by the state to do testing then if you pass you get a certification to take to the DMV for your CDL.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
All schooling here is done in house. You get your learners permit from the DMV by taking the tests on computer then do a week of school at our Hialeah hub, then a week of "production training"where you do actual runs with an on-road and if you pass that you go back to the hub for your driving test which is done by our feeder manager qualified by the state to do testing then if you pass you get a certification to take to the DMV for your CDL.
Pretty similar here.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
In house training here, once you pass your two weeks and get your CDL you're in. I passed my driving test on a Friday, went to DMV that afternoon and got my CDL, started feeders on Monday.

Apparently the feeder office won so I started school Monday. I asked what happened and they said "We worked it out...fact is, we need drivers too and if it wasn't you, it would have been the next person on the list. Regardless, they would have lost a driver anyway". I'm just happy it worked out. Now I have to pass! Thanks for the feedback everyone.

trickpony1

The center can split out routes to PVDs and other loop drivers.
Feeders can't split out those trailers.

Be safe. You're not in pkg cars anymore.