Management bungle

Packmule

Being on an extended route with a small, tourist town at its center, I have a lot of seasonal businesses, which include church camps, campgrounds, Joe Blow's cabins, etc. Many of these have owners who live on the premises, but are not home in winter, busy with other things, and refuse to waste their time filling out SDNs.

Last week, my supervisor began printing off "signature on file" forms from the computer in his office and handing them out. We were told these forms would be good for one year from the date signed. I couldn't explain the purpose of these to my customers fast enough that they weren't reaching for a pen.

Two days ago, management backtracked and told us the new forms are no good. Not legal--and I literally saw people throwing away their SDNs because we FINALLY came up with what they really want.

First, I want to know why they are not authorized and legal if they are coming off of a UPS computer?
And, secondly, when is this company going to start giving our customers what they want?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We have a few signature on file stops. One commercial business I know of that's been DR to for at least 5 years.

Nimnim

The Nim
That actually sounds like a good idea, provided the customer has an option to cancel it before it normally expires.

I really have no clue why this isn't an option already.

raceanoncr

It's probably "not legal" because a local supe/mangler decided to make a corporate decision and got his dieckman in his zipper when corporate found out.

Granted, it's probably a good/right/sensible thing to do but it was not CORPORATE's decision and they are PISSED!

wornoutupser

We had that option taken away a few years ago. I have the same situation-a rural run with a LOT of exceptions to the rules. I used to get a letter and NO PROBLEM! No..NO LETTERS ALLOWED!

Being on an extended route with a small, tourist town at its center, I have a lot of seasonal businesses, which include church camps, campgrounds, Joe Blow's cabins, etc. Many of these have owners who live on the premises, but are not home in winter, busy with other things, and refuse to waste their time filling out SDNs.

Last week, my supervisor began printing off "signature on file" forms from the computer in his office and handing them out. We were told these forms would be good for one year from the date signed. I couldn't explain the purpose of these to my customers fast enough that they weren't reaching for a pen.

Two days ago, management backtracked and told us the new forms are no good. Not legal--and I literally saw people throwing away their SDNs because we FINALLY came up with what they really want.

First, I want to know why they are not authorized and legal if they are coming off of a UPS computer?
And, secondly, when is this company going to start giving our customers what they want?
Cant they just sign up for UPS My Choice???

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
So Packmule, are you telling me that you have customers sign blank delivery notices before a first attempt is made on a delivery?
If so, how is that any more valid than the system your supervisor was rebuked for?
There are drivers in my building that do it and I think it is crazy.
Do yourself a favor and stop it before you are asked to pay for a package.

I only accept signed delivery notices if prompted to do so by the DIAD.
This is because I have found that no 2 supervisors give the same answer when asked when it is ok to accept them, nor is there any real system in place to turn them in and catalog them for future reference.
It is much better to worry about covering you ash than worrying about send agains.

Packmule

So Packmule, are you telling me that you have customers sign blank delivery notices before a first attempt is made on a delivery?
If so, how is that any more valid than the system your supervisor was rebuked for?

This is because I have found that no 2 supervisors give the same answer when asked when it is ok to accept them, nor is there any real system in place to turn them in and catalog them for future reference.
It is much better to worry about covering you ash than worrying about send agains.
We are told that as long as we include the date when we take one, it works. Never been told otherwise.

Packmule

Cant they just sign up for UPS My Choice???
Some could, but it took me three tries to get the program to send an email notice to my computer for my packages. Some of these people out there in the sticks don't have Internet access at all, or don't want another ^&(# password to remember, etc. Don't blame them. I think corporate needs to light a fire under themselves and give our customers what they want for once, instead of watching the competition do it and snatch away our business in the process.

Packmule

You are exactly right! Talked to them today, this is exactly what happened. So ... let's fire corporate and make my little sup the new CEO since he has common sense!!

U

uber

What is the point of an infonotice than? If somebody signs the agreement on the notice they are liable. I could see how it could irritate some customers that they sign it and they don't get their package.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Packmule,

The customers are most often not the individuals or businesses receiving the packages but the individuals or businesses shipping the packages.

Sincerely,
I

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
Packmule,

The customers are most often not the individuals or businesses receiving the packages but the individuals or businesses shipping the packages.

Sincerely,
I

That's the dumbest thing I've seen in awhile. No surprise that statement was made by a bean counter..

sigreq

If someone can log on to ups and electronically sign for a package just by typing their name in, then a hand signed info notice is more than ok in my book.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What is the point of an infonotice than? If somebody signs the agreement on the notice they are liable. I could see how it could irritate some customers that they sign it and they don't get their package.

If they sign the notice, they can't read.
I don't check that box to give them that option.
The point for the notice I left was to let them know I have a package that they will need to sign for and that I will be back tomorrow.
Like I said before, when they can give me a concise set of instructions as to when I can accept a signed delivery notice or the diad prompts me, I will accept them.