Management changing vacations dates.

Slingy

I put in for my 2015 vacation in December of 2014. I put down that I wanted off the week of the 22nd of June 2015. Well whe. I put down a date I want I assume it's accepted. Protical is you get bumped if someone with higher seniority takes the same date. They are supposed to come ask you for a new date. Well I was informed after working for over an hour (seeing my name tag on the board for what door I was stationed at instead of the vacation slot) when I went into work today that I'm supposed to be on vacation this week the 15th and not next week. I never put down the 15th to have off. My hub manager must have changed it which I'm cool with, I understand seniority and all. but not telling me till a week before? What's my best options to still be off the week I planned for?

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
First of all, You have to prove someone changed it. Ask to see the original sheet you signed. It should be pretty obvious if someone changed it. Then if you had made plans for that week, tell them that. It may mess up the date you were originally going to get paid, but as long as you get it....If all else fails and you are absolutely convinced you've been done wrong. Call the 1-800 number. It should be an honesty issue. If vacations are bid in seniority order, this isn't supposed to happen. Good luck to you.

oldngray

nowhere special
When vacations were posted last year you should have looked to make sure you had the correct week. Mistakes can be made either by management or by you writing down the week wrong. You can't wait months then suddenly claim dishonesty.

Slingy

When vacations were posted last year you should have looked to make sure you had the correct week. Mistakes can be made either by management or by you writing down the week wrong. You can't wait months then suddenly claim dishonesty.
I know for a fact I never put that date down. My secondary date was in October if I didn't get my June 26th week. I'm not the only one they did it to. Another coworker was told the same thing she had the same week as me. Come to find out there are 2 ppl in my work area that have higher seniority and when I told them about the situation they said they were off the week I put down. So like I said I'm not surprised at a seniority bump but not telling me and allowing me to change the date is wrong and unprofessional. I've been there 5 years and haven't had an issue like this.

oldngray

nowhere special
I know for a fact I never put that date down. My secondary date was in October if I didn't get my June 26th week. I'm not the only one they did it to. Another coworker was told the same thing she had the same week as me. Come to find out there are 2 ppl in my work area that have higher seniority and when I told them about the situation they said they were off the week I put down. So like I said I'm not surprised at a seniority bump but not telling me and allowing me to change the date is wrong and unprofessional. I've been there 5 years and haven't had an issue like this.

Did you check to confirm you were scheduled for the weeks you wanted when you first requested them? Or did you just assume those were the weeks you were scheduled to be on vacation? UPS changing your weeks is unlikely but it is very possible they made a mistake when they first scheduled them. It is your responsibility to confirm everything is correct.

rod

Retired 22 years
Well who ever is right or wrong--you will know better next year to double check all dates. Live and learn they say.

Box Ox

I've never heard of someone being bumped to another vacation week once the sign up sheet has come down and the final vacation week assignments sheet is posted for a few weeks. Sure, seniority matters if there are conflicts on the original sign up sheet. But nobody can bump anybody off their final assigned dates at my location. If someone else wants your week you both have to agree to it and notify managenent several weeks in advance.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I put in for my 2015 vacation in December of 2014. I put down that I wanted off the week of the 22nd of June 2015. Well whe. I put down a date I want I assume it's accepted. Protical is you get bumped if someone with higher seniority takes the same date. They are supposed to come ask you for a new date. Well I was informed after working for over an hour (seeing my name tag on the board for what door I was stationed at instead of the vacation slot) when I went into work today that I'm supposed to be on vacation this week the 15th and not next week. I never put down the 15th to have off. My hub manager must have changed it which I'm cool with, I understand seniority and all. but not telling me till a week before? What's my best options to still be off the week I planned for?
Bang out no big deal

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Thats why u make a copy of the vacation bid sheet after you fill it out, i do it every year particularly just for that reason and put them in my phone also under s-note or Evernote just in case it ever arises. Always cya on this job YOUNGBLOOD lol.

iruhnman630

Was the vacation calender posted once the selections were done in December? Did you confirm your
selections then?

I find it hard to believe management would try to change the finalised vaca schedule.

By The Book

I thought that you filled out the weeks you wanted, listed a few other weeks (as a backup) if the weeks you wanted were closed. Then you give it to your sup, or who does the calendar and confirm your picks when your sup gives you the sheet back.