Management Hiring Freeze?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I assume you are talking about people already working for UPS ... people not working here would jump at the chance ... hundreds per position.

Thats right...can you imagine if we hired for the positions off the street.

My on-car sup worked as a preloader for 3 months before becoming a PT sup. He did that for 6 months and then spent about 6 weeks as a driver during peak season and was then promoted to FT management and assigned to my center.. He was actually in grade achool when I started driving. Oddly enough, his lack of experience has not been a handicap for him so far, and he has turned out to be one of the better supervisors I have had in my 25 years.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
My on-car sup worked as a preloader for 3 months before becoming a PT sup. He did that for 6 months and then spent about 6 weeks as a driver during peak season and was then promoted to FT management and assigned to my center.. He was actually in grade achool when I started driving. Oddly enough, his lack of experience has not been a handicap for him so far, and he has turned out to be one of the better supervisors I have had in my 25 years.

OK ... who hijacked sober's account? :wink2:

Give this man some rep ... I have to spread it around before I can.

soberups

OK ... who hijacked sober's account? :wink2:

Give this man some rep ... I have to spread it around before I can.

Hey, I just call 'em like I see 'em.

The supervisors job is different today than it was 25 years ago. Today it is more about data entry and technology than it is about area knowledge. This particular sup was up front and honest with me about his relative lack of driving experience, and he didnt insult my intelligence by trying to pretend otherwise. I would much rather work for someone like that than for a blowhard whose ego wont allow him to ask questions or learn anything from his employees.

CAFAL

The supervisors job is different today than it was 25 years ago. Today it is more about data entry and technology than it is about area knowledge. This particular sup was up front and honest with me about his relative lack of driving experience, and he didnt insult my intelligence by trying to pretend otherwise. I would much rather work for someone like that than for a blowhard whose ego wont allow him to ask questions or learn anything from his employees.

It's nice to hear that there is some respect and integrity in the company

TechGrrl

Space Cadet

This kid obviously has no future with the company! If the lying weasels don't chew him up, he will become disillusioned when he realizes integrity and respect for his employees has no upside. (Sorry, my cynicism is tweaking me this morning...)

soberups

This kid obviously has no future with the company! If the lying weasels don't chew him up, he will become disillusioned when he realizes integrity and respect for his employees has no upside. (Sorry, my cynicism is tweaking me this morning...)

You are probably right, but it is my hope that all of that will happen after he has been promoted or transferred out of my area.

I have never gotten to enjoy "fresh meat" before, usually by the time I get a supervisor he has already been chewed up and picked over and there isnt much left for me to gnaw on but bones and gristle.

menotyou

bella amicizia
You are probably right, but it is my hope that all of that will happen after he has been promoted or transferred out of my area.

I have never gotten to enjoy "fresh meat" before, usually by the time I get a supervisor he has already been chewed up and picked over and there isnt much left for me to gnaw on but bones and gristle.

It tastes wonderful. :winks:

The old DM, Deliboy as I call him, use to bring me "fresh meat" all the time. Yummy!