Management is out of Control!!!

542thruNthru

So I load a 24 foot Ford F750 Box truck that goes to our local mall by address (two delivery trucks in one). Every day it's packed tight. I also load two other delivery trucks that hold 400 and 350 pieces. Today they tried to give me another delivery truck on top of what I already have. It was an extra 400 pieces. There's no way I can humanly keep up and that's where safety comes into play. I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, I just want to know if anyone else has these same problems and how they handle them. The part that's really discouraging is the fact that others have trucks that have a 150 to 250 pieces and I have all the ridiculously full ones.

To be honest, I have no clue how the union works. I do remember about 4 months ago a union rep came in and saw my mess and made my boss work with me for the rest of the day. They lightened my workload for a week, then it was back to an insane amount again.

Is it me??

Slow down and work at a safe pace. You need to stop trying to keep up with their ridiculous pace they try and set for you. Whatever you do, do not let them get to you. Just shrug off their complaints.

You said you have no shop steward in your building. You seem to want to make a difference maybe it's time you step up to the plate. Talk to your BA and see about becoming a shop steward.

Box Ox

you have to have a clear path to walk. shut the belt off pick up the boxes. file a grievance if they make you do unsafe things.

Not only that. But leave the area immediately if it's getting out of hand. You need to protect yourself if you're potentially in immediate danger. Tripping over boxes, falling off a catwalk, getting whacked in the head by a mountain of stuff, whatever.

You will NEVER lose an argument in which you stopped the belt or left the area because it was clearly no longer safe for you to work in. Your sups might try to push back because their numbers are under the gun. Do not give in.

UPS Preloader

Don't stop the belt unless your safety is at risk. If that is your only exit from the truck then definitely stop it. Otherwise just let them pile up

OSHA requires you to have 2 EXIT Routes from you work area. If either one of the is blocked it needs to be addressed.

UPS Preloader

Not only that. But leave the area immediately if it's getting out of hand. You need to protect yourself if you're potentially in immediate danger. Tripping over boxes, falling off a catwalk, getting whacked in the head by a mountain of stuff, whatever.

You will NEVER lose an argument in which you stopped the belt or left the area because it was clearly no longer safe for you to work in. Your sups might try to push back because their numbers are under the gun. Do not give in.

If management isn't addressing it either call OSHA or ask your local fire department to come in and do an inspection during your work hours. Many cities and towns don't allow the fire department to come in and do random inspections. However, when a complaint is filed or an inspection is requested they will come in. If you request it, they will keep the complaint anonymous.

dudebro

Once again, Dave, you are demonstrating you ignorance.
Actually, he's right. Anyone with inside training knows the specific meaning of those two terms. What the OP is calling a "lockout" button is simply the red button that turns the belt off. It's not what OSHA considers a "lockout", which is where you actually use a padlock and take the key with you.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
When I do turn off the belt, management comes over and asks why the belt is off. Then they override my lockout and walk away.

You simply ask the closest supervisor who in corporate you call to report daily egress safety violations.

rod

Retired 22 years
Mountains of packages was the norm when I was there. You mean to tell me things have changed? waiting for Upstates responce

Box Ox

Mountains of packages was the norm when I was there. You mean to tell me things have changed? waiting for Upstates responce

4x the mountain size now because of a 2x pieces/stops per route increase and a 2x weight limit increase since the olden days?

jbg77

The only person who can unsecure a belt is the one who secured it period. We have to memorize this stupid :censored2:e for their yearly audits then they should abide by them as well.