Management is taking issue with my being overallowed.

V and H

Half of the members of this management team I have known for 20+ years and we have all enjoyed a good repoire. Going into management really sets one up for a lot of stress from the DM, etc. I will talk to the center manager very soon and the BA if I need to.

The management team definitely stands its ground re the brown Kool-Aid fantasy. I think they have to if they want to keep their job.

It is funny how much faith they have in a time study that was done based on one sunny day where it didn't get dark until 9 PM, all with an 8 hour dispatch. Think that load was massaged? Any time spent putting a package in a DR bag, dealing with a misroute or imperfect load, slowing down for slick roads or darkness just adds to the overallowed. And was the IE guy ever a driver?

I asked a supe that had been in UPS IE for 20 years why in the Heck did UPS consistently heap upwards of 50 hours per week on drivers that they knew had families. I asked him if IE realized that these families struggled to live a normal life with the driver parent getting home so late. His answer: "Well, a lot of these drivers are running overallowed." Un-freakin-believable. He actually believed in his time studies.

Last edited:

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I came here to read about this issue because I thought there would already be a thread on this. I searched "overallowed" and read most of the info. Here is my story:

I have worked at UPS over 20 years with the last 18 years as a full time driver. When I started out I was a runner gunner, but I had about 7 accidents my first 10 years, so for the last 10+ years I have made it a point to do everything by the methods 100% of the time. Lately, with peak and the fact that I do Early AMs, I have been running out of hours come Friday. Managements idea to fix it is to:
(1) blame my running out of hours on the fact that I run overallowed an average of 1.50 hours per day on my average paid day of 12 hours,
(2) tell me not to come in to do EAMs on Friday in order to have enough hours to do my bid route,
(3) send me out on a split route anyway while a driver with less seniority does my bid route.

I have talked to the union before and the clear result was that I could do EAMs as long as I wanted (which is until I retire), seniority allowing. Currently, all the other EAM drivers are new hires.

Management is under pressure to get the work dispatched and make their production numbers. My bid route is in a town 25 minutes away from the center so that presents a challenge to them. My idea is for them to budget my hours to 12 hours per day so that Friday is just another day; this can definitely be done, but Mon-Thurs they are just trying to worry about those days.

The issue of me being allowed to do EAMs and my bid route will be a slam dunk, but the center manager will be offended if I file a grievance. He could retaliate in some way.

So can I get in trouble for running overallowed when I drive very safely (in treacherous country, by the way) and work safely ALL THE TIME? I am so careful to use all the methods no matter what. Should I start taking shortcuts or start driving a bit faster? What shortcuts would not threaten my job security?

Of course, we have young drivers who come in early and set up the loads on their own time, drive like maniacs, sign for business packages themselves, leave packages at the mailbox, etc. and the management seems to be pleased with them because they bonus.

At one point my BA said "just do everything right all the time and you'll never have to look over your shoulder". I followed this advice to the letter and now management is not honoring my seniority and creating the narrative that I am a slug. I have other drivers telling me "They are mad at you because you are running over".

The center manager has told me that he does not like the idea of me doing EAMs because my route is far away from the center, but a mindful effort in dispatch planning would easily fix this and the adjustment wouldn't add any cost to the company.

If I stopped doing EAMs, my replacement would be a new hire earning half the hourly rate.

At one point, management did a production ride and I ran .65 and 1.49 hours over the first two days. They discontinued the production ride at that point and now they "cannot speak to the time study".
Their numbers are made up.

Remind them that they can't enforce those made up numbers per contract.

Then thank them for their time and start filing over 9.5 grievances after the 1st of the year just to see how they feel being put on the defensive.

V and H

Then thank them for their time and start filing over 9.5 grievances after the 1st of the year just to see how they feel being put on the defensive.

Not only made up, but purposely slanted toward what they want the result to be. An educated guess with an hour shaved off just to set up the driver (and center management) to fail.

I will file a 9.5 grievance as an EAM driver with a remote route and post here how it works out.

Last edited:

By The Book

This is what I thought. They must have slipped some brown Kool-Aid in my eggnog.

I always try to see things from all sides, and I know the pressure these guys are under from the new DM and his new boss (Regional Manager? I don't know). The center is in a smaller city so to a certain extent we try to work stuff out between ourselves before bringing in the BA.

Aren't they just doing their job by trying to get me to hustle more? The center manager said "I need you to kick it up a notch". And I tried. I hit my nose really hard on a package after about three minutes. I realized that I had already been working my max safe speed.

And when I tried to drive faster it seemed like I might lose traction and slide off the road (a lot of steep cliffs on my route). A friend joked that me driving off a cliff would solve their problem of me being a "slug" (to quote my runner gunner loop mate). Maybe I should drive as fast as possible on the straight roads.

Maybe I could get them to bring the time study a little closer to reality. Any tips for my imminent 3 day production ride other than the obvious "work as directed"?
The reason they aborted your 3 day production ride was it wasn't going to work out in their favor. Once it's over, you are expected to produce the SPORH that you demonstrated. If you average 1.25 hours late on your ride it's now accepted for you to be 1.25 hours late. Ride like a sup is in the jump seat and keep doing the best you can do.

V and H

Ride like a sup is in the jump seat and keep doing the best you can do.

This is precisely how I have been working every day for at least 2 years.

At one point we had a center manager who was by all accounts a total maniac and she read me the riot act because I was observed handling my DIAD while driving on one occasion. She threatened to take me off road. That is when my BA told me "to always do everything the right way and you'll never have to look over your shoulder". That center manager either cured me or ruined me depending on one's point of view.

Last edited:

hyena

This is precisely how I have been working every day for at least 2 years.

At one point we had a center manager who was by all accounts a total maniac and she read me the riot act because I was observed handling my DIAD while driving on one occasion. She threatened to take me off road. That is when my BA told me "to always do everything the right way and you'll never have to look over your shoulder". That center manager either cured me or ruined me depending on one's point of view.
They can't have their cake and eat it too . Methods all the way baby

V and H

Talked to a dude the other day that was way up their in seniority and didn't know about taking lunch between 3rd and 6th hr smh
Most of the drivers in our center don't ever take a lunch. It is encouraged but optional. And no, they don't take 30 or 60 minutes out of your paid day.

hyena

I came here to read about this issue because I thought there would already be a thread on this. I searched "overallowed" and read most of the info. Here is my story:

I have worked at UPS over 20 years with the last 18 years as a full time driver. When I started out I was a runner gunner, but I had about 7 accidents my first 10 years, so for the last 10+ years I have made it a point to do everything by the methods 100% of the time. Lately, with peak and the fact that I do Early AMs, I have been running out of hours come Friday. Managements idea to fix it is to:
(1) blame my running out of hours on the fact that I run overallowed an average of 1.50 hours per day on my average paid day of 12 hours,
(2) tell me not to come in to do EAMs on Friday in order to have enough hours to do my bid route,
(3) send me out on a split route anyway while a driver with less seniority does my bid route.

I have talked to the union before and the clear result was that I could do EAMs as long as I wanted (which is until I retire), seniority allowing. Currently, all the other EAM drivers are new hires.

Management is under pressure to get the work dispatched and make their production numbers. My bid route is in a town 25 minutes away from the center so that presents a challenge to them. My idea is for them to budget my hours to 12 hours per day so that Friday is just another day; this can definitely be done, but Mon-Thurs they are just trying to worry about those days.

The issue of me being allowed to do EAMs and my bid route will be a slam dunk, but the center manager will be offended if I file a grievance. He could retaliate in some way.

So can I get in trouble for running overallowed when I drive very safely (in treacherous country, by the way) and work safely ALL THE TIME? I am so careful to use all the methods no matter what. Should I start taking shortcuts or start driving a bit faster? What shortcuts would not threaten my job security?

Of course, we have young drivers who come in early and set up the loads on their own time, drive like maniacs, sign for business packages themselves, leave packages at the mailbox, etc. and the management seems to be pleased with them because they bonus.

At one point my BA said "just do everything right all the time and you'll never have to look over your shoulder". I followed this advice to the letter and now management is not honoring my seniority and creating the narrative that I am a slug. I have other drivers telling me "They are mad at you because you are running over".

The center manager has told me that he does not like the idea of me doing EAMs because my route is far away from the center, but a mindful effort in dispatch planning would easily fix this and the adjustment wouldn't add any cost to the company.

If I stopped doing EAMs, my replacement would be a new hire earning half the hourly rate.

At one point, management did a production ride and I ran .65 and 1.49 hours over the first two days. They discontinued the production ride at that point and now they "cannot speak to the time study".

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.

Stay on EAM's!
As far as over allowed, Article 37 (a) says: The parties agree that the principle of a fair day’s work for a fair day’s pay shall be observed at all times and employees shall perform their duties in a manner that best represents the Employer’s interest. The Employer shall not in any way intimidate, harass, coerce or overly supervise any employee in the performance of his or her duties. The Employer shall not retaliate against employees for exercising rights under this Agreement. In considering any grievance alleging retaliation for exercising his rights under the Agreement, the severity and timing of the Employer’s actions that modify an employee’s work assignment or reprimand employees shall be relevant factors to a determination of motivation. The Employer will treat employees with dignity and respect at all times, which shall include, but not be limited to, giving due consideration to the age and physical condition of the employee. Employees will also treat each other as well as the Employer with dignity and respect.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

So, he comes in early every day to do extra work in the form of EAM's, and you believe filing a 9.5 grievance will help solve his problems?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
In our center if you bid to run EAMs you cannot file a 9.5 grievance. It is spelled out specifically on the bid sheet.
Is it spelled out in the CBA?
Article 6 section 1 states:
Except as may be otherwise provided in this Agreement, the Employer agrees not to enter into, or attempt to enter into, any agreement or contract with its employees, either individually or collectively, or to require or attempt to require employees to sign any document, either individually or collectively, which in any way conflicts with the provisions of this Agreement. Any such Agreement or document shall be null and void.

jr32bad

They can't fire you for doing your job stop worrying about there made up paper Bulls----
Any driver coming in to set there truck are crazy make them load your truck like there suppose too other wise make that money

V and H

In our center if you bid to run EAMs you cannot file a 9.5 grievance. It is spelled out specifically on the bid sheet.
Actually, I don't want to do the 9.5 because I like to make as much income as possible. I like to get 58-60 hours every week and I don't mind doing the EAMs in the morning and the extra resi on the back end.

The drivers who cover my route don't get either the EAMs or (often) the extra resi on the back end so coworkers who see me coming in late just assume that I am a slow worker, not realizing that my planned day is 1-2 hours higher than that of the cover driver.

V and H

They can't fire you for doing your job stop worrying about there made up paper Bulls----
Any driver coming in to set there truck are crazy make them load your truck like there suppose too other wise make that money
Why does the union even allow drivers to consistently take work away from loaders by coming in early and working for free?

I asked about this at work and I was told "Supervisors cannot ask an hourly to work off the clock, but they can if they want to".

The result is that the loaders get less hours and the drivers who follow the rules are made to look slower on paper. It seems like the drivers who are working for free are cheating, if we are to be judged by the WR.

And these runner gunners go through the whole day with only one goal: to get off early. No consideration for safety, methods, service, giving packages to the clerk that could have been delivered, dishonest send agains, etc.

Shipping something via UPS is not cheap--the customer should get the service they paid for.

By The Book

Why does the union even allow drivers to consistently take work away from loaders by coming in early and working for free?

I asked about this at work and I was told "Supervisors cannot ask an hourly to work off the clock, but they can if they want to".

The result is that the loaders get less hours and the drivers who follow the rules are made to look slower on paper. It seems like the drivers who are working for free are cheating, if we are to be judged by the WR.

And these runner gunners go through the whole day with only one goal: to get off early. No consideration for safety, methods, service, giving packages to the clerk that could have been delivered, dishonest send agains, etc.

Shipping something via UPS is not cheap--the customer should get the service they paid for.
Look for the "off the clock work" postings in your building. I'm pretty sure it's a violation of state law to have employees working without being compensated. Your sups allow this because it helps their numbers/bonus. The runners getting off the clock is twofold, getting off the clock and getting the bonus. Unless these loaders are being sent home early and not finishing their shift the drivers working in addition to the loaders doesn't reduce the loaders hours. Now if the drivers get on the belt and work without clocking in and the loader goes home, that's a problem. I do not advocate any drivers on the belts before start time unless they are on the clock in seniority order.