Management observation

browniehound

And you open it and jump inside and slam the door and call the police on your cell phone. He ain't getting through that door.
VoiceOfReason, the name you go by does not describe you correctly my friend. Since when does UPS make bullet proof doors and locks? We're not Wells Fargo. If someone has a gun pointed at me I do what they say. If you would do different you have a death wish.

Last edited:

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
VoiceOfReason, the name you go by does not describe you correctly my friend. Since when does UPS make bullet proof doors and locks? We're not Wells Fargo. If someone has a gun pointed at me I do what they say. If you would do different you have a death wish.

Its metal, it should slow the bullet down enough not to kill you. :cool:

Griff

He's a hub-jockey, what do you expect? Management can find error in judgement or fault in anything you do out there on this job. It's pretty easy to talk about what someone should have done from up in the ivory tower.

Griff

The other day we got a DIAD message from our Center Manager that said "No backing unless you call and ask for permission".

Is this a joke?

Honestly, how do people like this become a center manager?

Geez our backing related accidents are high this month. I have a great idea, lets restrict every driver in the center from backing! This should fix our numbers and make me look smart I hope.

I would of loved to see that message. Pull in every dock with the nose of the truck. I wonder how much extra OT that little diad message could yield doing 31 pickups / 350+ packages.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
At the moment I got that message, I was backing up a long driveway at the end of a dead-end street. My Center had twelve accidents the first twelve days of December, normally we have about one a month. We have a lot of new Package Drivers this year after we lost a lot of more experienced drivers to the Feeder Dept. Everybody got a good laugh out of it, no way would I call the Center every few minutes to ask to put my shifter into Reverse. Lots of pressure on us this time of the year, I look forward to the "after Peak Slowdown", when everything slows down after next week.:wink:

Griff

The only messages I get this time of year:

1. "If you aren't going to be in by 7:00, respond now, tell us what you have left and your ETA to building."
2. "HELPER HOURS PLS"

oh and...

"STOP OVERRIDING THE OCA"

me: "No"

"CALL CENTER NOW"

(The center team is constantly missending me OCA's for places that are 40+ minutes off my route)

tieguy

Banned
Call the police and tell them you have someone following you. They will take care of it, and it wont happen again. This happened at my center.

Suppose thats an option. Or you could be one of those drivers who works safely everyday and has nothing to hide. In which case you might welcome the opportunity to show off. Maybe walk up to the car and ask them how you are doing and if they see anything you can improve on. A proactive concern rather then a paranoid defense often works well.

hoser

Industrial Slob
And you open it and jump inside and slam the door and call the police on your cell phone. He ain't getting through that door.
Wow, I hope you don't tell your employees this. While the culprit shoots through the door, breaches the door and kicks your ass, or calls for backup so his/her posse can kick your ass, you can rest easy knowing it will be a bit harder for them to harm a driver's life over a box of wal-mart flyers, puttputt golf balls, or fruits & passion lotion samples. Sheer stupidity. I really hope you don't advance into corporate security, let alone a position of decision making, taking into account the way produce your logic and judgement.

Its metal, it should slow the bullet down enough not to kill you. :cool:
You're like the Anonymous Lawyer equivilent of a UPS manager, right? You come off as a truth-sayer, but you're so outrageous that it can't be true..

If not, I'd be happy to test this theory out. Why don't you hang out on the other side of the bulkhead?

browniehound

Suppose thats an option. Or you could be one of those drivers who works safely everyday and has nothing to hide. In which case you might welcome the opportunity to show off. Maybe walk up to the car and ask them how you are doing and if they see anything you can improve on. A proactive concern rather then a paranoid defense often works well.

While I do "bend" the rules from time to time (not proud of it), I ALWAYS work safe. And like Tie says, Its nice to "show off". I always rank high in the on area observations. I do it not because I think someone may be following me, but because it benefits me.

browniehound

Wow, I hope you don't tell your employees this. While the culprit shoots through the door, breaches the door and kicks your ass, or calls for backup so his/her posse can kick your ass, you can rest easy knowing it will be a bit harder for them to harm a driver's life over a box of wal-mart flyers, puttputt golf balls, or fruits & passion lotion samples. Sheer stupidity. I really hope you don't advance into corporate security, let alone a position of decision making, taking into account the way produce your logic and judgement.

You're like the Anonymous Lawyer equivilent of a UPS manager, right? You come off as a truth-sayer, but you're so outrageous that it can't be true..

If not, I'd be happy to test this theory out. Why don't you hang out on the other side of the bulkhead?

For once I have to agree with Dannyboy on this one:laugh:

VoiceOfReason

Telling it like it is
He's a hub-jockey, what do you expect? Management can find error in judgement or fault in anything you do out there on this job. It's pretty easy to talk about what someone should have done from up in the ivory tower.

It wasn't my idea, it the actions of a driver that was recently involved in an attempted robbery in my neck of the woods and it worked.

S

scratch this

Our sups told us it was the "Ketter Group" that was out doing observations. 1 driver has already been fired. Take it one delivery at a time and follow all the methods and stay out all night.

method them to death, mgmt talks the the talk,but when its its all over is sporh and pkgs , numbers and more numbers,always has been and always will....

hoser

Industrial Slob
It wasn't my idea, it the actions of a driver that was recently involved in an attempted robbery in my neck of the woods and it worked.
the fact that you condone this here, and probably do to employees, is a lawsuit waiting to happen. imagine how embarassing the settlement would be for ups when an employee gets shot defending boxes of carpet samples because his manager told him so.

and how stupid it is when managers don't sternly speak out against such stupid actions, like hiding in the bulkhead when looking down the barrel of a gun.

Now thats hardcore, sacrificing your llife for a package. Yeah, you do that!
one thing (but still pitiful) if it's fedex and you risk your life for urgent overnight packages that contain things that actually matter (legal correspondence, cheques, passports and other things that need to get somewhere FAST).

another when it's the dirt and sand that UPS grnd drivers deliver. like grocery store flyers that are valid for 1 week, 16 inch goodyear tires, cheerio boxes full of 500 lugnuts that cost $0.001 each.

Excellent website showing what a bullet can do to a car:

The Box O' Truth - The Buick O' Truth

Would you hide behind all that steel?
exactly. cars (and bulkhead doors) are designed to resist large wide impact, not condensed impact like a bullet.