Management/Stewards in a RTW state

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
Out of curiosity, is there a such thing as a strong local in a RTW (Right to Work) State? I work at a hub in a RTW state and so far from what I can tell, all the Stewards I've seen here are all buddy buddy with management. Management seems to be able to act out however they want though that may just be typical across the company but not sure?

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I'm in one and ours suck. I saw a steward hanging out in the offices eating subs with management just laughing it up. Seriously friend that guy hard. On that note though I'm on the fence about Unions so I don't really care if my state is right to work or not.

billerz

I think my local is pretty good, definitely saved my job. We have some great stewards and some not so great ones. You also need to remember that management, at the end of the day, is your boss. Work as instructed, follow the contract, and file when you need to.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
[
I'm in one and ours suck. I saw a steward hanging out in the offices eating subs with management just laughing it up. Seriously friend that guy hard. On that note though I'm on the fence about Unions so I don't really care if my state is right to work or not.

What would the contract be without the Union? Still on the fence? The Union is a whole lot more than working as instructed.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I think my local is pretty good, definitely saved my job. We have some great stewards and some not so great ones. You also need to remember that management, at the end of the day, is your boss. Work as instructed, follow the contract, and file when you need to.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Do you pay dues

raceanoncr

I was a feeder steward in my waning days with the company. Every night before I started work, I'd go into Mangler's office and sit down. Asked, "Is there anything I should be in on? Anything I need to know about so I don't get blindsided by you or hourlies?"

Would you construe that as being "in their pocket"? We would butt heads often but I liked to get close to them incase they slipped. I wanted to hear their gossip. I wanted to be in on what they were planning. Never socialized, tho.

Does that look like I'm "sucking up"? To some, it may seem so. To me, it was planning my next move, either REACTIVELY or PROACTIVELY.

Yes, we are in a RTW state.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
You're seriously complaining about a good working relationship?

El Correcto

god is dead
I'm in right to work and the stewards are pretty solid in my center. Always file their 9.5s and don't hesitate to let the management know when they are in violation the contract. They'll sit there and help fill out the grievances as well. I've gotten my job back when I was a part timer through the union.

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I don't completely agree with the politics side as far as the union is concerned though I do pay dues it's kind of a matter of principle for me. But there are some people at my job that proudly let everyone know they aren't in the union and don't pay dues. I wonder what will happen if they ever need the unions services.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I was a feeder steward in my waning days with the company. Every night before I started work, I'd go into Mangler's office and sit down. Asked, "Is there anything I should be in on? Anything I need to know about so I don't get blindsided by you or hourlies?"

Would you construe that as being "in their pocket"? We would butt heads often but I liked to get close to them incase they slipped. I wanted to hear their gossip. I wanted to be in on what they were planning. Never socialized, tho.

Does that look like I'm "sucking up"? To some, it may seem so. To me, it was planning my next move, either REACTIVELY or PROACTIVELY.

Yes, we are in a RTW state.
"Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer"