managing the boss

tieguy

Banned
I will be the one to say it. Some of our bosses are very capable of doing the job and some have the job because of affirmative action, the EEOC etc. These are people that do not deserve thye job and we all know who they are. They get ZERO respect from me. I look forward to the day that they ask me If I would like my order super seized.

Tie I might work a Saturday for you if you asked nicely enough. lol

and ruin a good saturday.....:)

your point does highlight the problems with affirmative action when people don't respect a leader because they don't believe they earned their job. I trust you would wait to see them in action before you determine they were given their job?

JonFrum

I guess we will never agree on this.... I see a difference between what a product is called and what it promises. This is not the only product in the world where the product name doesn't match what the product is.

We have a COD but don't take cash.
Something other than letters can go into a UPS letter.
Nivea has a non-aging cream but you still get older.
There is no chicken in chicken fried steak.
QuckBooks is not quick.

My point is that there is a difference between what a product is called and the promise. If you read the description of NDA, it is an overnight product with a time definite delivery. 10:30 for the majority. This is different than the ground product.

Here is the link:
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/shipping/time/service/next_day.html

I don't understand your analogies so I can't respond to them. I guess its because you believe that all products have to have perfectly descriptive names and if not its a lie? I think the product name is not the same as an advertising claim.

As I said, we will not agree, so you can have the last word. I won't respond to your next post.

P-Man

In the commercial world some products were named many years ago and have evolved since, but retained their original name because the name was so well established.

Some products have names that are intended to be amusing in various ways.

Normal people can take all these things in stride.

There are white guys named Mr. Black, and black guys named Mr. White. There's even Mr. Green. Normal people rely on a wide variety of information to evaluate situations and so are usually not misled. if anything, people enjoy these mildly amusing instances, especially since no one is deliberately trying to trick anyone.

Sometimes the trickery is too much and real money is involved. That's when a lawsuit is filed.

I am not responsible for all the names of goods and services in the marketplace, and haven't said a word about them. No need to waste your time pointing out instances of creative naming to me. I'm just talking about UPS AIR SERVICES and the fine print burried in its shipping contract.
- - - -
In recent years UPS has added fuel surcharges to air and ground packages to cover the added costs of fuel. The air surcharge was much greater than the ground surcharge. At it's highest, the air surcharge was an additional 34%!!!

Does anyone know if UPS charged up to an additional 34% to Air packages, to cover all that expensive jet fuel used to deliver them, even if some of those Air packages actually went by ground and no jet fuel was used? If they did, I think it's dishonest.
- - - -
Customers are very easily turned off. If you don't treat them right, if you seem to be trying to get the better of them, if you make them do too much homework in order to avoid being ripped-off, they will take their business elsewhere. They don't need a rock-solid reason to leave. They just need to feel unappreciated, disrespected, or like they're being played.

JonFrum

Jon it kind looks like you're having a debate with yourself. In your first post you stated that everything did go by air when the service originally was named air.
Yes. And that was an really, really stupid decision by UPS. A normal company would send everything as efficiently as possible. Zones requiring air service would be called Air. Zones not requiring Air service would be called Ground. Seems simple to me.

Dumb Management decisions aren't just a recent thing.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Jon, as I said before, we give our daily pickup customers zone charts for ground shipments. If they choose to send it overnight, even though it doesn't have to be there by 1030 and is within our one day time in transit zone, that is certainly their choice and we will certainly take their money. As far as the fuel surcharge, do you have any idea how much of an accounting headache it would be to figure out which NDA pkgs were flown and which were trucked to their destination?

Returntosender

Misleading perhaps but not dishonest.

Shippers with daily pickup accounts have time in transit maps which show how long a ground shipment would take to get from Point A to Point B. I will use my area as an example. I am in the northeast corner of NY. Our 1 day transit area covers New England, New York (except for NYC) and parts of PA. Unless the recipient needs the pkg by 1030 there really is no need to send it overnight. Overnight packages for most of this area are loaded on the end of a feeder for processing in either Albany or Syracuse.

I deliver to our local Sam's Club. They had a shipment of 16 cases of pizza boxes on Friday. 10 were sent ground and 6 were sent NDA. They all were shipped on Thursday out of MA and all arrived the following day. Did we make an (unfair) profit on the 6 NDA packages? Sure but we simply held up our end of the contract the shipper signed with us when they processed their package. No where in that contract did it mention mode of shipment.

When you pay for Next Day Air, but we use a truck to get it there--that's logistics.

From another post "I worked for UPS doing revenue recovery for 5 years in the EASTERN NEW YORK AREA (ELMSFORD) and I am VERY WILLING to share UPS information about which ground trucks going out of Elmsford carry air packages, and which destination zip codes are in each truck. I have a handout directly from my Revenue Recovery supervisor which specifically spells this out. I can and will be an expert witness if I am needed!" Anyone here in revenue recovery? What does revenue recovery really do at UPS?

JonFrum

Jon, as I said before, we give our daily pickup customers zone charts for ground shipments. If they choose to send it overnight, even though it doesn't have to be there by 1030 and is within our one day time in transit zone, that is certainly their choice and we will certainly take their money. As far as the fuel surcharge, do you have any idea how much of an accounting headache it would be to figure out which NDA pkgs were flown and which were trucked to their destination?
We're not talking about true ground packages shipped as air packages. We're talking about an urgent air package with a time commitment sent by air service, that UPS decides behind the scenes to send by ground.

Remember UPS (and their partners the Teamsters) are the ones that have had those huge legislative and advertizing campaigns claiming Fedex is dishonest because its pilots should be flying their air express packages all the way to the receivers' front doors. If a non-pilot in a truck delivers the package in its final leg, that supposedly means Fedex is not playing fair and should be spanked.
- - - -

What accounting headache? It's probably as simple as instructing the computer to charge the ground surcharge to all packages shipped to zone 1, 2, and 3 (or whatever), and the air surcharge to all the more distant zones. UPS makes distinctions between air and ground, comercial and residential, early commit and late commit, one zip code and another zip code, etc. all the time. It's just a matter of setting things up initially, then the computer does it automatically.

tieguy

Banned
Yes. And that was an really, really stupid decision by UPS. A normal company would send everything as efficiently as possible. Zones requiring air service would be called Air. Zones not requiring Air service would be called Ground. Seems simple to me.

Dumb Management decisions aren't just a recent thing.

somehow this company has survived 103 years without your superior wisdom at the helm.

tieguy

Banned
Remember UPS (and their partners the Teamsters) are the ones that have had those huge legislative and advertizing campaigns claiming Fedex is dishonest because its pilots should be flying their air express packages all the way to the receivers' front doors. If a non-pilot in a truck delivers the package in its final leg, that supposedly means Fedex is not playing fair and should be spanked.

i have not seen that , do you have any clips?

Omega man

roflmao I hope you clicked your heels and extended your right arm as you made that comment. We have our union rules after all.

You wouldn't know the first thing about a seniority system or trying to be fair. You are part of a cannibalistic management culture that readily eats its own.
Respect for some type of system that lets workers earn opportunities by their longevity is not only necessary for fairness but also functionality. Imagine a UPS where managers like you and selfish workers could do as they please. It would be a free for all where both the company and its employees would suffer tremendously. It would not be a company that anyone would want to work for.
Anyway, our contract mandates the system so you really have no choice in the matter.

tieguy

Banned
You wouldn't know the first thing about a seniority system or trying to be fair. You are part of a cannibalistic management culture that readily eats its own.
Respect for some type of system that lets workers earn opportunities by their longevity is not only necessary for fairness but also functionality. Imagine a UPS where managers like you and selfish workers could do as they please. It would be a free for all where both the company and its employees would suffer tremendously. It would not be a company that anyone would want to work for.
Anyway, our contract mandates the system so you really have no choice in the matter.

Congrats your union brainwashing was successful. dont forget the the last part of the mantra. you are nothing without the union. then click your heels and extend you arm.

DS

Fenderbender
How about UPS next day however? I still like overnight,it describes the service without mention of what mode of transportation was used to get it there.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Why don't you know right from wrong as a grown adult? Why do the majority of this company's managers feel its right to treat hourly workers with no dignity or respect and expect these very same people to treat you with any? Why do you discipline people for petty and trivial things to push them to panel to roll the dice for their job simply because they won't skip their lunch and run all day for you? Why do you steal money from people to make your numbers? Why haven't you or any manager within the last 10 years grown a pair and been a man for once in your life and stood up for your employees?

...Why did your CEO take a pay raise when he took yours away?
Caught something 4 pages back " why do you steal money to make your numbers ?" I have represented someone ( hourley) who has lost his job for taking 1 bottle of bottled water (broken case on the belts) and was asked to resign and rightfully so. Stealy is wrong ! I have yet to see a sup or manager lose his or her job yet alone disiplined for shorting people time and money and it goes on all the time. Not getting overtime , shaving minutes, changing start times it happens all the time to often to be a coincidence. Well if the guy who took a bottle of water loses his job maybe just maybe the sup who shorted an employee 1 day's pay 4 weeks out of 6 should be a least repremanded instead of being promoted. I don't know call me kookie ?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Caught something 4 pages back " why do you steal money to make your numbers ?" I have represented someone ( hourley) who has lost his job for taking 1 bottle of bottled water (broken case on the belts) and was asked to resign and rightfully so. Stealy is wrong ! I have yet to see a sup or manager lose his or her job yet alone disiplined for shorting people time and money and it goes on all the time. Not getting overtime , shaving minutes, changing start times it happens all the time to often to be a coincidence. Well if the guy who took a bottle of water loses his job maybe just maybe the sup who shorted an employee 1 day's pay 4 weeks out of 6 should be a least repremanded instead of being promoted. I don't know call me kookie ?

If they are actually doing that they should be fired.
I know of over 30 management who have been fired for that and they should be.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
If they are actually doing that they should be fired.
I know of over 30 management who have been fired for that and they should be.

I am sure it happens (management fired) and I believe you to be honest and forthright in your opinions. But I believe because of the numbers, it is a whatever it takes attidude and infractions wether ethical or contractural are ovelooked to achieve a better bottom line and promotion.I am a customer oriented person ( my full time job is sales management) but you don't cheat your empolyees to arrive at your goals.

JonFrum

How about UPS next day however? I still like "overnight," it describes the service without mention of what mode of transportation was used to get it there.
Removing the "Air" from Next Day and Second Day is one way of making the names less misleading.

But Three Day Select doesn't contain the word "Air" in its name, yet UPS still adds the higher Air Service Fuel Surcharge to cover the added expense of the aviation fuel used to deliver the package, even if the package went by ground and no aviation fuel was actually used.

But on Air-Service-Only Holidays, UPS doesn't consider 3-Day Select an Air package. Hmmm.

tieguy

Banned

P/t people? Did they punch out or is the sup guessing their punch out time? When I was in the hub we surprisingly had a lot of problems with people forgetting to punch out when they left.