mandated to work out of job class?

hypo hanna

I don't see why not, as long as you have the training for whatever role you're being asked to fill.

In my station if the preload has a catastrophe(belt system failure, surprise extra freight, 4/21 absenteeism, etc), the office staff might get drafted as package handlers. Sure; I'll grab my gym bag out of the car and go be a grossly overpaid package handler for a few hours.
Except in your scenario you are being paid over your job classification. In his, as i understand it, he is being asked to do the job of a higher pay grade at his lower rate. Big differance.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Except in your scenario you are being paid over your job classification. In his, as i understand it, he is being asked to do the job of a higher pay grade at his lower rate. Big differance.
And to make it all look good on paper.

Sent using BrownCafe App

CJinx

Huh. I wasn't aware DG/Hazmat agents were a lower pay grade.

If he's full-time DG and is mandated to take on additional courier work, does he get OT for that? If so, wouldn't that be a net gain?

hypo hanna

I am assuming he took a pay cut to go from courier to service agent. (He may be under some new classification ive never heard of.) The fact that he would get OT is irrelevant. He is still being asked to do the work of a driver for an agent's pay. (And an agents OT rate I might add).
Maybe he signed something that stipulated he would be required to drive when he stepped down. I don't know but it smells like typical fedex sorryness to me.

I am a she by the way, not a he...

I took a pay cut so that I would be full time.

I still drive daily...basically at a bulk stop where they determined the majority of the work is DG, and not courier work.

Doesn't matter, apparently we didn't have to mandate anyone anyways.

Maui

Your situation is a little tricky because you are DOT, but you can NOT be forced to work in a higher classification. If you're ever asked and don't want the work I would raise the issue with your manager or senior and if they tried to schedule you for anything above your classification I would call HR.

Many managers got in trouble for attempting these tricks.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am a she by the way, not a he...

I took a pay cut so that I would be full time.

I still drive daily...basically at a bulk stop where they determined the majority of the work is DG, and not courier work.

Doesn't matter, apparently we didn't have to mandate anyone anyways.

OK, so what are the stated duties of your position in your job description? If you are asked to do courier work, you should be receiving courier pay. It sounds like you're more of a glorified courier/handler with assigned DG duties. If that's the case, you should only be doing bulk stops, not a route. This absolutely sounds like a typical FedEx scam to pay you at a lower rate and then force you to be a courier when they need you.

At my station, courier/handlers run routes every day, and they're too dumb to know they're getting screwed.