Mark your mailbox/house

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What about a strip mall with 20+ stores and none of them have unit numbers and the package is addressed to a person with no mention of which business they're in.

Need suite/unit number.

Or you can ask around while making the other deliveries in that complex-----someone may either know or have heard that name before.

dex 84

Yep that is real annoying.

How do you guys code that? Because you know dispatch will message like an hour later with the suite # saying to reattempt. What I've done is not in/closed and then purple sticker it at the end of the day. But there must be a better way haha.

I would ask at any other stops I had there and then 03 it if I couldn't figure it out. If I'm not going to reattempt then I hit no research needed.

Express Courier

I would ask at any other stops I had there and then 03 it if I couldn't figure it out. If I'm not going to reattempt then I hit no research needed.
Ah yes I remember that. They made a big stink about us using NRN a few years ago so it is forbidden now. Or at least they made it seem that way back then, I guess I just got used to never using it after that.

dex 84

Ah yes I remember that. They made a big stink about us using NRN a few years ago so it is forbidden now. Or at least they made it seem that way back then, I guess I just got used to never using it after that.

Sometimes it backfires if a trace comes in. They probably won't notice it otherwise.

SmithBarney

Yep that is real annoying.

How do you guys code that? Because you know dispatch will message like an hour later with the suite # saying to reattempt. What I've done is not in/closed and then purple sticker it at the end of the day. But there must be a better way haha.

Well the rule now is REATT required on all DEX business packages especially if you get a good address from dispatch. The only exception i've seen is a few rural routes that actually run an enormous 200mile loop, generally there is no going back.

SmithBarney

Now if you use NRN, we get a message asking for an ETA since they assume we know where is it since NRN... LOL

SmithBarney

My first year at Ground, I had a rural delivery of 20 boxes of mini blinds in a snowstorm... The address was a triangle of 3 driveways with no houses marked. I happily jabbed all 20 boxes into the snow like skis at a lodge, right at the 3 driveway split.

Sounds about right for Ground... ;)

bacha29

IN the days before 911 all addresses began with the letters RD. therefore with the mail RD stands for rural delivery. With us it stands for rightfully delayed. They're out there because they choose to be not because they have to be and if you can't truck it........friend!*!k it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

IN the days before 911 all addresses began with the letters RD. therefore with the mail RD stands for rural delivery. With us it stands for rightfully delayed. They're out there because they choose to be not because they have to be and if you can't truck it........friend!*!k it.

Did you ever notice that there was a system to the way the RD numbers ran?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Did you ever notice that there was a system to the way the RD numbers ran?

As a retired guy who probably shouldn't be posting here, I have to begrudgingly agree with Dave. Most of my years at UPS, I ran rural routes with RD numbers. It never took more than a week to figure out the order.

Only wimps had a problem.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a retired guy who probably shouldn't be posting here, I have to begrudgingly agree with Dave. Most of my years at UPS, I ran rural routes with RD numbers. It never took more than a week to figure out the order.

Only wimps had a problem.

I did have one town on my rural route where the RD numbers went up in increments of 5 but other than that once you figured out how the numbers ran the route was very easy.

fatboy33

The long time mail carrier retired and, after not receiving some of our mail and receiving neighbors mail, I painted numbers on the box. Other neighbors follow my lead and things have been fine since. We were spoiled because the old carrier knew everyone on the route. The new guys don't care and are more that willing to give away mail just to get rid of it.

bacha29

In response to an earlier post, the RD maps were not public information , the were the exclusive property of the USPS. Secondly my service area consisted of 34 zip codes stretched across 4 rural counties and totaled more than 1500 R.D carrier miles. No surprise, the guy who set up my route was from downtown Manhattan . When I took him out to the ghing weeds on the first day he said, " what does R.D. stand for ?". This so called 'industrial engineer", retired from UPS had no idea they existed. What an enormous miscalculation.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I remember one very rural route, used to have what we called the bible. I was not driving then, whenever anyone had to go on it they would yell, where is the bible.