Marriage.......And the UPS'er

bigbrownhen

Its true that the hours can take a toll on our home life if you let it. Its tough to see families eating dinner together at 600 sometimes while I leave them a package.
That isn't my life. This job has it pros and cons, like any job. I would suggest that anyone working for UPS that is having trouble at home decide if they would be better off not working here, what is your priority. You have to deal with it as a team, what do you really want out of life.
As for me, I don't have a college degree, this is the best way I have to provide for my family. Its good money and bennies, nothing better around here, and I actually like my job.
All that aside, the standard at our house is whoever gets home first cooks dinner. We are used to dinner at 800, even the kids. Housework is done as needed, with big cleaning jobs done on the weekend. The world doesn't come to an end if tables aren't cluster free and floor needs mopping. There is a difference between filthy and messy. If it bothers you, hire a housekeeper to come in once a week. It all boils down to a mutual respect and keeping priorities in order. Marrige is "we" not "me". IMO

kingOFchester

I am having a hard time having much sympathy for any of us. Some of us are acting like children with the "poor me" mentality. Feel like I am watching a Oprah show.
How about our present and past troops who go away from their loved ones to fight for our freedom for 12-24 months. Then back for a month just to ship off again to some god forsaken place? How about the families that have both husband and wife working 2 jobs each just to pay rent? Most of you do have 2 full days to spend with the family. For the most part you are home b4 8pm. Some of us work 2 jobs. My better half works on Saturdays. We really only have Sunday, but I won't complain because I am grateful for every minute we spend time together. I am also thankful for the freedom to choose our life, thanks to all the soldiers who have given their lives for our freedom. The same freedom that we are loosing everyday. Kind of hard to listen to all the violins.
I'm just sayin.....

I am having a hard time having much sympathy for any of us. Some of us are acting like children with the "poor me" mentality. Feel like I am watching a Oprah show.
How about our present and past troops who go away from their loved ones to fight for our freedom for 12-24 months. Then back for a month just to ship off again to some god forsaken place? How about the families that have both husband and wife working 2 jobs each just to pay rent? Most of you do have 2 full days to spend with the family. For the most part you are home b4 8pm. Some of us work 2 jobs. My better half works on Saturdays. We really only have Sunday, but I won't complain because I am grateful for every minute we spend time together. I am also thankful for the freedom to choose our life, thanks to all the soldiers who have given their lives for our freedom. The same freedom that we are loosing everyday. Kind of hard to listen to all the violins.
I'm just sayin.....
While you make a good point about the soldiers and their sacrifices. One thing you didn't take in to account is that EVERYONE of those soldiers chose to be in the military and they should have known before signing that they may very well be shipped off to those God forsaken places and put in harms way. Those are the very kind of choices that they are fighting for as well as the freedoms that we , as Americans, have come to expect out of life here.
I didn't take any of the things posted in this thread as asking for your sympathy or deserving of your obvious scorn. As far as I am concerned you can take your sympathy and give to yourself for not being able to take the posts here as they are intended, conversation.
BTW, I heard more trumpets playing here than violins. Pity yourself, not me.

kingOFchester

One thing you didn't take in to account is that EVERYONE of those soldiers chose to be in the military and they should have known before signing that they may very well be shipped off to those God forsaken places and put in harms way. .

WOW, you were forcd into driving for UPS? You didn't have a choice?

Let me change your posting:

One thing you didn't take in to account is that EVERYONE of those Drivers chose to work for UPS and they should have known before Applying that they may very well not be home for dinner.

Perhaps you are correct. THAT should have been my response to the posters who were expressing their dissapointment regarding their hours.
Silly me for comparing asoldiers tour of duty to a drivers late hours.
:peaceful:

WOW, you were forcd into driving for UPS? You didn't have a choice?

Let me change your posting:

One thing you didn't take in to account is that EVERYONE of those Drivers chose to work for UPS and they should have known before Applying that they may very well not be home for dinner.

Perhaps you are correct. THAT should have been my response to the posters who were expressing their dissapointment regarding their hours.
Silly me for comparing asoldiers tour of duty to a drivers late hours.
:peaceful:
I've read many of your posts, I have never before thought you to be an idiot, please don't force me into that thought now. I did address what you were posting, not a far fetched comparison. I also did not pick out one sentence to respond to.
The attitude of your whole post was that the other posts in this thread were, "poor poor me, I have to work overtime". Which is about as far from the truth as one can get.
DO us all a favor and re-read the posts here and if you are not the idiot that you you are playing at this point you will see that your first offering on this thread was out of line and indeed off subject.
No pity parties to see here, move along.

helenofcalifornia

King, me thinks you are letting your name get to your head. Are you having a bad day? Do you feel better slamming everyone? Was a warm, fuzzy, good-feeling thread until you came in here and started talking. What up? Did you mean to say something else and it came out wrong? Back pedal slowly out of the room.

kingOFchester

I've read many of your posts, I have never before thought you to be an idiot, please don't force me into that thought now. I did address what you were posting, not a far fetched comparison. I also did not pick out one sentence to respond to.
The attitude of your whole post was that the other posts in this thread were, "poor poor me, I have to work overtime". Which is about as far from the truth as one can get.
DO us all a favor and re-read the posts here and if you are not the idiot that you you are playing at this point you will see that your first offering on this thread was out of line and indeed off subject.
No pity parties to see here, move along.

And sir you would be correct. :whiteflag:
There really isn't any pity posts on this thread. I have seen them in the past and also hear daily from the drivers on my line complain. Just today I heard these and more "I have to much work"....."why do I have to go to bed Bath and Beyond"...."the doorbell doesn't work at the hardware store and I have to walk to the front to get somebody to open the back door" ......."Where is my truck, this truck is to small"...... I could go on and on. In my defense, I am on the other side where I would love to have those complaints. Instead I am complaining that I don't have enough work.
Trying to figure how I can feed my family for 30$ for the next week. The one driver that complains the most goes out with 11-12 hours worth of work. He runs all day and works thru his lunch. He gets back no later then 5ish. We are in a bonus center. This same driver was happy to show me the first week of April his pay stub. Gross for the first 3 months. 25k and change. Over 100k a year and he is done by 6 at the latest. I would imagine he does even better over peak. Anyway, I guess I am just having a bad day, and the thread kind of poked me where it doesn't feel so good. I just want the economy to get better so i can complain about to many hours, rather then complaining that my family will be eatting beans and rice for the next week.

kingOFchester

Me thinks you are letting your name get to your head. Are you having a bad day? Do you feel better slamming everyone? Was a warm, fuzzy, good-feeling thread until you came in here and started talking. What up? Did you mean to say something else and it came out wrong? Back pedal slowly out of the room.

Yes, please read the above post that I was typing as you posted. Just a bad week.

helenofcalifornia

SO WHAT!! Dude, I was a PTer too. May I throw your words back in your face? If you don't like it, look for another, different job. I lost all my seniority and had to start all over again, at the bottom. Life ain't easy. Suck it up. Again, was a fuzzy, warm thread before THE King came stumbling in here. Sorry life is hard for you right now, you are not alone. I hope you get to go driving sooner rather than later. But, sheeeesh!!!

King, I feel really bad for the situation that you are in and I don't want to ever be there. If I remember correctly, you had started to drive and then was sent back into preload. So you had just a taste of more income. As I said above, I have never thought you to be an idiot, so I have to assume you are either working a second job as well or have at least looked for one. Not knowing any personal stats on you and your family I don't know if you qualify for assistance but there is no shame in accepting help for the state if you can. The main objective is to provide, however you have to short of dishonesty. I think you know what I mean.
You sound like the kind of guy that has a lot of self pride and personally I feel that is a good thing, to a point. Sometimes pride can starve you to death. I would love to be able to say something that would help you, but I can't. I just hope that you can make it though this bad time of history and prosper some how.

kingOFchester

SO WHAT!! Dude, I was a PTer too. May I throw your words back in your face? If you don't like it, look for another, different job. I lost all my seniority and had to start all over again, at the bottom. Life ain't easy. Suck it up. Again, was a fuzzy, warm thread before THE King came stumbling in here. Sorry life is hard for you right now, you are not alone. I hope you get to go driving sooner rather than later. But, sheeeesh!!!

Nevermind. I got what I asked for.

helenofcalifornia

And I am sorry too that you work with idiots flaunting their checks. Bad form on their part. No class there. You too will be there eventually. Probably most of them have been in your shoes, but not in these stressful economic times. Venting now over, fired up and ready to burn up my route.

kingOFchester

And I am sorry too that you work with idiots flaunting their checks. Bad form on their part. No class there. You too will be there eventually. Probably most of them have been in your shoes, but not in these stressful economic times. Venting now over, fired up and ready to burn up my route.
be safe

kingOFchester

King, I feel really bad for the situation that you are in and I don't want to ever be there. If I remember correctly, you had started to drive and then was sent back into preload. So you had just a taste of more income. As I said above, I have never thought you to be an idiot, so I have to assume you are either working a second job as well or have at least looked for one. Not knowing any personal stats on you and your family I don't know if you qualify for assistance but there is no shame in accepting help for the state if you can. The main objective is to provide, however you have to short of dishonesty. I think you know what I mean.
You sound like the kind of guy that has a lot of self pride and personally I feel that is a good thing, to a point. Sometimes pride can starve you to death. I would love to be able to say something that would help you, but I can't. I just hope that you can make it though this bad time of history and prosper some how.

Thanks. I do work 2 jobs. Just a tough month in the bill department. Car insurance is do and also 2 children in catholic school that I am trying to get next years tuition ready By July.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
"Honey, I love you, but would you mind signing this contract that protects me in case you decide to run off with the FedEx guy?"
LOL The way this world is today and the divorce rate being so high, I can't say I blame you any. Marriages have become disposable. Like just about everything else in our lives. We work our asses off to get somewhere in life and at the drop of a hat it is all gone. Retirement, home everything. We have to do what ever it takes to protect our selves.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Slant, Dilli is right about this gal driver needing to talk to someone about her problems at home. My advice is to tread lightly, very lightly. Sometimes, a lot of the time, a person in her position is so hungry for human kindness that when they find someone that will listen to them and not feel like a threat to them they for attachments. I know it doesn't always work out that way, but it is sure something you need to protect against.
Trp, you are right and I should have said this myself. My bad.:peaceful: