May Day!

Brother Joe

Haymarket-Memorial_231x154_26ab474c352ab7349e0c197ac5c72c71.jpg
Please circulate widely-
This May Day is special due to the presence of
Frente Autentico de Trabajo, de Mexico
Tuesday, May 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM
Haymarket Statue, Randolph & Des Plaines

May Day ceremony and commemoration of the Haymarket Martyrs. Benedicto Martinez Orozco, a leader of the Mexican union federation Frente Autentico de Trabajo, will preside over mounting a plaque from our Mexican brothers and sisters in the FAT. Then join the May Day demonstration assembling at Union Park at 12 noon and marching to Federal Plaza at 1:00 PM. This May Day demonstration, initiated by Occupy Chicago, is sponsored by a host of local unions and community groups.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

May Day March & Rally

Just a reminder.....

On Tuesday,May 1st o
ccupations all across the globe will stand up and defend the 99%. In Chicago, we are bringing together a gathering of union, immigrants, students & community activists and the
Occupy Chicago Labor Working Group will be part of this and asks that you join us!

On May 1st, we will march for the 99%! JOIN US IN CHICAGO!

We are Workers. We are Students. We are Documented. We are Undocumented. We are Occupiers.

They are Detaining Us. They are Shutting Down our Clinics. They are Closing our Schools. They are Taking our Wealth. They are Busting our Unions.

Come May 1st, we are on the March! Join Us!

DETAILS: We will assemble at 12:00 PM at Union Park, 1501 W Randolph St.
At 1 PM, we will march to Federal Plaza, 230 S. Dearborn Street!

Carole Ramsden – IBEW 134

Occupy Chicago Labor Working Group

brett636

Its sad that on this wonderful day reminding us that summer is almost here the commies have to ruin it by taking it over in the name of their march towards a diminished human experience.

Brother Joe

May Day parade and strikesIn October 1884, a convention held by the Federation of Organized Trades and Labor Unions unanimously set May 1, 1886, as the date by which the eight-hour work day would become standard.[SUP][11][/SUP] As the chosen date approached, U.S. labor unions prepared for a general strike in support of the eight-hour day.[SUP][12][/SUP]
On Saturday, May 1, rallies were held throughout the United States. Estimates of the number of striking workers across the U.S. range from 300,000[SUP][13][/SUP] to half a million.[SUP][14][/SUP] In New York City the number of demonstrators was estimated at 10,000 [SUP][15][/SUP] and in Detroit at 11,000.[SUP][16][/SUP] In Milwaukee, Wisconsin, some 10,000 workers turned out.[SUP][16][/SUP] In Chicago, the movement's center, an estimated 30 to 40,000 workers had gone on strike[SUP][13][/SUP] and there were perhaps twice as many people out on the streets participating in various demonstrations and marches,[SUP][17][/SUP][SUP][18][/SUP] as, for example, a march by 10,000 men employed in the Chicago lumber yards.[SUP][14][/SUP] Though participants in these outdoor events added up to 80,000, it is unclear if there was ever a single, massive march of that number down Michigan Avenue led by anarchist Albert Parsons, founder of the International Working People's Association [IWPA] and his wife Lucy and their children.[SUP][13][/SUP][SUP][19][/SUP]

150px-Haymarketnewspaper.jpg

150px-Haymarket_Flier.jpg
The first flier calling for a rally in the Haymarket on May 4. (left) and the revised flier for the rally. (right)
The words "Workingmen Arm Yourselves and Appear in Full Force!" were removed from the revised flier.

On May 3, striking workers in Chicago met near the McCormick Harvesting Machine Company plant. Union molders at the plant had been locked out since early February and the predominantly Irish-American workers at McCormick had come under attack from Pinkerton guards during an earlier strike action in 1885. This event, along with the eight-hour militancy of McCormick workers, had gained the strikers some respect and notoriety around the city. By the time of the 1886 general strike, strikebreakers entering the McCormick plant were under protection from a garrison of 400 police officers. Although half of the replacement workers defected to the general strike on May 1, McCormick workers continued to harass strikebreakers as they crossed the picket lines.
Speaking to a rally outside the plant on May 3, August Spies advised the striking workers to "hold together, to stand by their union, or they would not succeed."[SUP][20][/SUP] Well-planned and coordinated, the general strike to this point had remained largely nonviolent. When the end-of-the-workday bell sounded, however, a group of workers surged to the gates to confront the strikebreakers. Despite calls by Spies for the workers to remain calm, gunfire erupted as police fired on the crowd. In the end, two McCormick workers were killed (although some newspaper accounts said there were six fatalities).[SUP][21][/SUP] Spies would later testify, "I was very indignant. I knew from experience of the past that this butchering of people was done for the express purpose of defeating the eight-hour movement."[SUP][20][/SUP]
Outraged by this act of police violence, local anarchists quickly printed and distributed fliers calling for a rally the following day at Haymarket Square (also called the Haymarket), which was then a bustling commercial center near the corner of Randolph Street and Desplaines Street. Printed in German and English, the fliers alleged police had murdered the strikers on behalf of business interests and urged workers to seek justice. The first batch of fliers contain the words Workingmen Arm Yourselves and Appear in Full Force! When Spies saw the line, he said he would not speak at the rally unless the words were removed from the flier. All but a few hundred of the fliers were destroyed, and new fliers were printed without the offending words.[SUP][22][/SUP] More than 20,000 copies of the revised flier were distributed.[SUP][23][/SUP]
[h=3][edit] Rally at Haymarket Square[/h]
350px-HaymarketRiot-Harpers.jpg

This 1886 engraving was the most widely reproduced image of the Haymarket affair. It inaccurately shows Fielden speaking, the bomb exploding, and the rioting beginning simultaneously.[SUP][24][/SUP]

The rally began peacefully under a light rain on the evening of May 4. August Spies, editor of the German-language Arbeiter-Zeitung ("Workers' Times"), spoke to a crowd estimated variously between 600 and 3,000[SUP][25][/SUP] while standing in an open wagon adjacent to the square on Des Plaines Street.[SUP][6][/SUP] A large number of on-duty police officers watched from nearby.[SUP][6][/SUP]
Paul Avrich, an historian specializing in the study of anarchism, quotes Spies as saying:
"There seems to prevail the opinion in some quarters that this meeting has been called for the purpose of inaugurating a riot, hence these warlike preparations on the part of so-called 'law and order.' However, let me tell you at the beginning that this meeting has not been called for any such purpose. The object of this meeting is to explain the general situation of the eight-hour movement and to throw light upon various incidents in connection with it."[SUP][26][/SUP]
Following Spies' speech, the crowd was addressed by Albert R. Parsons, the Alabama-born editor of the radical English-language weekly The Alarm.[SUP][27][/SUP] The crowd was so calm that Mayor Carter Harrison, Sr., who had stopped by to watch, walked home early. Parsons spoke for almost an hour before standing down in favor of the last speaker of the evening, Samuel Fielden, who delivered a brief 10 minute address

Brother Joe

It's a cold world no matter what season it is. It is sad that the fascists have been allowed to frame the debate. It's sad that ignorance is so prevalent. In fact, the fight for the 8 hour work day in 1886 was being fought for by Anarchist. That being said I stand with anyone fighting for the 8 hour day. Part-timers are struggling to get their 3 1/2 hour guarantee while drivers have to jump through hoops for 8 hour & 9.5 requests. We had to strike in 97 to bump it up from 3 to 3 1/2. We are still struggling for the 8 hour day. Chicago Teamsters as well as other unions were in the street in Chicago. I marched in the streets in a unpermitted feeder march with anarchist shutting down the streets to the chagrin of the police. I then marched with my Brother & Sister Teamsters. There is no change without struggle, so the struggle for the 8 hour day continues. Red-baiting is still alive & well, not much has changed since 1886 i see. So the struggle for blue skies continues

Brother Joe

All You Fascists
Words by Woody Guthrie, Music by Billy Bragg
I’m gonna tell you fascists
You may be surprised
The people in this world
Are getting organized
You’re bound to lose
You fascists bound to lose
Race hatred cannot stop us
This one thing we know
Your poll tax and Jim Crow
And greed has got to go
You’re bound to lose
You fascists bound to lose.
All of you fascists bound to lose:
I said, all of you fascists bound to lose:
Yes sir, all of you fascists bound to lose:
You’re bound to lose! You fascists:
Bound to lose!
People of every color
Marching side to side
Marching ‘cross these fields
Where a million fascists dies
You’re bound to lose
You fascists bound to lose!
I’m going into this battle
And take my union gun
We’ll end this world of slavery
Before this battle’s won
You’re bound to lose
You fascists bound to lose!

Brother Joe

When I was just a little thing I used to love parades
with banners, bands and red balloons and maybe lemonade
when I came home one mayday my neighbours father said
them marchers is all commies tell me kid are you a red?
well, I didnt know just what he meant my hair back then was brown
our house was plain red brick like most others in the town
so I went and asked my mamma why our neighbour called me red
my mummy took me on her knee and this is what she said

Well you ain't done nothin' if you ain't been called a red
if you've marched or agitated, you're bound to hear it said
so you might as well ignore it, or love the word instead
cause you ain't been doin' nothin' if you ain't been called a red

When I was growin' up, had my troubles I suppose
when someone took exception to my face or to my clothes
or tried to cheat me on a job or hit me on the head
when I organised to fight back why the stinkers called me red

But you ain't done nothin' if you ain't been called a red
if youv'e marched or agitated, you're bound to hear it said

When I was livin' on my own one apartment that I had
had a lousy rotten landlord let me tell ya he was bad
but when he tried to throw me out I rubbed my hands and said
you haven't seen a struggle if you haven't fought a red!

And you ain't done nothin' if you ain't been called a red
if you've marched or agitated, then you're bound to hear it said
'cause you ain't been doin' nothin' if you ain't been called a red

Well I kept on agitatin', cause what else can you do?
you're gonna let the sons of bitches walk all over you
my friends said you'll get fired, hanging with that commie mob
I should be so lucky buddy, I ain't got a job

And you ain't done nothin' if you ain't been called a red

Well I've been agitatin' now for fifty years or more
for jobs or for equality and always against war
I'll keep on agitatin' as far as I can see
and if that's what being red is then It's good enough for me

'cause you ain't done nothin' if you ain't been called a red

Inthegame

It's a cold world no matter what season it is. It is sad that the fascists have been allowed to frame the debate. It's sad that ignorance is so prevalent. In fact, the fight for the 8 hour work day in 1886 was being fought for by Anarchist. That being said I stand with anyone fighting for the 8 hour day. Part-timers are struggling to get their 3 1/2 hour guarantee while drivers have to jump through hoops for 8 hour & 9.5 requests. We had to strike in 97 to bump it up from 3 to 3 1/2. We are still struggling for the 8 hour day. Chicago Teamsters as well as other unions were in the street in Chicago. I marched in the streets in a unpermitted feeder march with anarchist shutting down the streets to the chagrin of the police. I then marched with my Brother & Sister Teamsters. There is no change without struggle, so the struggle for the 8 hour day continues. Red-baiting is still alive & well, not much has changed since 1886 i see. So the struggle for blue skies continues
Anarchists? You complain that fascists are allowed to frame the debate yet you use the same terms those fascists used when 1886 happened. They weren't anarchists, they were families fighting for rights and time away from the oppressive control of forced long hours without any additional pay ,ie OT. "8 hours for work, 8 hours for rest and 8 hours for what we will" wasn't the cry of anarchists. Haymarket wasn't an isolated incident. In some cities, Milwaukee for example, the city council passed laws requiring business to implement 8 hour days merely to be ignored by the business community. When thousands of citizens peacefully protested, the real anarchists, the state militia, did what military units usually do, come to the aid of poor, oppressed capital and opened fire on unarmed citizens killing seven. Now the folks with union contracts and a grievance procedure won't take the time to lift a pen. It's a cold world alright.
We went on strike in '97 to get full time jobs, and to keep UPS away from the pension because we had a leader with stones and a brain. Now we have neither but don't beat your chest cause you took a walk in the street without a permit. You weren't getting shot at pal.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Anarchists? You complain that fascists are allowed to frame the debate yet you use the same terms those fascists used when 1886 happened. They weren't anarchists, they were families fighting for rights and time away from the oppressive control of forced long hours without any additional pay ,ie OT. "8 hours for work, 8 hours for rest and 8 hours for what we will" wasn't the cry of anarchists. Haymarket wasn't an isolated incident. In some cities, Milwaukee for example, the city council passed laws requiring business to implement 8 hour days merely to be ignored by the business community. When thousands of citizens peacefully protested, the real anarchists, the state militia, did what military units usually do, come to the aid of poor, oppressed capital and opened fire on unarmed citizens killing seven. Now the folks with union contracts and a grievance procedure won't take the time to lift a pen. It's a cold world alright.
We went on strike in '97 to get full time jobs, and to keep UPS away from the pension because we had a leader with stones and a brain. Now we have neither but don't beat your chest cause you took a walk in the street without a permit. You weren't getting shot at pal.
why do I think of Pablo Carlos right now?

Brother Joe

The fascists are controlling the debate in the usa. False equivalencies is another tactic used when someone can't win on facts. The leaders of the movement for the 8 hour day in 1886 were anarchist, thats a fact. Check the facts or are you going to be willifully ignorant? Yes there were families, and anarchist have families too. The weren't fighting for over time pay. Thats another example how the debate is controlled. 8 hours was suppose to be the maximum hours to be worked in a day! That means they had to pay someone a living wage for that 8 hour day. A reduction in hours without a reduction in overall pay. Meaning they also had to pay more per hour. It was the Anarchist that made the call of 8 for work, 8 for sleep, 8 for what you will. The propaganda machine in the usa has got goebbels beat. The state militia are the fascist when they are colluding with capital. Corporation & government in cahoots is an aspect of fascism. Anarchism by nature is against having a state, not to mention a state oppressing the people in the name of business. I've been accusing of soliciting grievances. I don't like that term, but it's my duty to be proactive. When members are unwilling for fear of retaliation, I can write local grievances. Ron was the kind of leader that was able to move the members to action. I walked the line in 97. The police were called on me then & I was lied on. When we shut down the streets today, it was in the face of the police attempting to prevent us. I have had guns pulled on me on numerous ocassions, in various situations. Some of those ocassions were the police. I have been shot at. It ain't braggin if its true. They haven't found a way to kill me yet. I hope they get lucky one of these times. Then my work is done & I can lay my weary head to rest.

Last edited:

Inthegame

The fascists are controlling the debate in the usa. False equivalencies is another tactic used when someone can't win on facts. The leaders of the movement for the 8 hour day in 1886 were anarchist, thats a fact. Check the facts or are you going to be willifully ignorant? Yes there were families, and anarchist have families too. The weren't fighting for over time pay. Thats another example how the debate is controlled. 8 hours was suppose to be the maximum hours to be worked in a day! That means they had to pay someone a living wage for that 8 hour day. A reduction in hours without a reduction in overall pay. Meaning they also had to pay more per hour. It was the Anarchist that made the call of 8 for work, 8 for sleep, 8 for what you will. The propaganda machine in the usa has got goebbels beat. The state militia are the fascist when they are colluding with capital. Corporation & government in cahoots is an aspect of fascism. Anarchism by nature is against having a state, not to mention a state oppressing the people in the name of business. I've been accusing of soliciting grievances. I don't like that term, but it's my duty to be proactive. When members are unwilling for fear of retaliation, I can write local grievances. Ron was the kind of leader that was able to move the members to action. I walked the line in 97. The police were called on me then & I was lied on. When we shut down the streets today, it was in the face of the police attemting to prevent us. I have had guns pulled on me on numerous ocassions, in various situations. Some of those ocassions were the police. I have been shot at. It ain't braggin if its true. They haven't found a way to kill me yet. I hope they get lucky one of these times. Then my work is done & I can lay my weary head to rest.

What's with all the song lyrics? Here's the deal my weary warrior. Anarchists have a negative connotation so why do you feel using that term improves your position? Did Gandhi ask to be called an anarchist? The struggle for the eight hour day was a seminal defining moment in labors battle against capital. And the bad guys won. It took years before that effort was rekindled. Using bats and sticks only gets one so far and it usually ends behind bars. Using a pen (and brain)is your most valuable tool. The leaders of the 1886 movement were labeled "anarchists" by the fascists that controlled newspapers and govt to influence others to keep in line. Sure there were some aggressive leaders but nothing different than the recent protests in state capitals. Is that anarchy?
Don't listen to that BS about soliciting grievances. What's wrong is wrong. Write the grievance!
RIP Ron Carey, a true labor hero.

Brother Joe

I'm rebutting the red baiting, have you read the thread? The negative conotations associated with anarchism is from the proganda of the right in this country. It is believed because of the political backwardness of the working class in the usa. The chicken or the egg? At some point people have to take personal responsibility for their education though. It may not improve my position in the short term but I'm looking at the long term. I'm looking beyond just wages & benefits. The system needs to be fundamentally changed or were going to have the same battles year after year. The eventual goal is anarcho syndicalism (the workers running the work place) direct democracy. Gandhi wasn't an anarchist. His work caused the end of the colonialistion of India. It was an advance, but he wasn't an internationalist though. He made some material improvements. But he didn't end the system. Non violence only gets so far. Its a tactic to be used based on the conditions on the ground. Not my favor tactic though. Are you familiar with the 1934 Teamster strike in MN? The company (not ups) sent thugs to bust the strike. They beat back the thugs & the police in street fights & won! The local was led by Socialists at the time. We had to have wars to get rid of a king, slavery & nazis. There were fights in the streets against the kkk & the neo nazis in the usa. We drove the neo nazis out of the south side, we didn't use non violence. You got to fight fire with fire sometimes. The leaders in 1886 weren't labeled as anarchist, they were anarchist. The people were mislead to what anarchy is. I was in Wi. when it was hitting the fan. One of the difference between then and now, is that now the movement tends to get co-opted by the democratic party. They put all their eggs in electoral politics & none in movement politics. The occupy movement is an anarchist movement. I know when they try to sweat me, I'm doing the right thing. Met Ron Careys son.

wkmac

Labor Day, celebrated each year on the first Monday of September, is widely known and celebrated as a holiday for American workers; perhaps less well known as a day for the labor movement is May Day, observed around the world on the first of the month.
While it originated as a celebration of nature and of spring, May Day became, by the close of the nineteenth century, a decidedly working class holiday, set aside for parades and demonstrations by tradesmen and organized labor groups.
In the United States and abroad, the concerns of the labor movement are often assumed to be plainly at odds with those of free market libertarians. Mutually unaware of their historical and ideological overlap, both groups have been skeptical, indeed antagonistic, toward each other, each regarding its counterpart as ideological foe. But this need not be the case, and, as it happens, it hasn’t always been.

Musings on May Day

Brother Joe

The working class and the employing class have nothing in common. There can be no peace so long as hunger and want are found among millions of the working people and the few, who make up the employing class, have all the good things of life. Between these two classes a struggle must go on until the workers of the world organize as a class, take possession of the means of production, abolish the wage system, and live in harmony with the Earth. We find that the centering of the management of industries into fewer and fewer hands makes the trade unions unable to cope with the ever growing power of the employing class. The trade unions foster a state of affairs which allows one set of workers to be pitted against another set of workers in the same industry, thereby helping defeat one another in wage wars. Moreover, the trade unions aid the employing class to mislead the workers into the belief that the working class have interests in common with their employers. These conditions can be changed and the interest of the working class upheld only by an organization formed in such a way that all its members in any one industry, or in all industries if necessary, cease work whenever a strike or lockout is on in any department thereof, thus making an injury to one an injury to all. Instead of the conservative motto, "A fair day's wage for a fair day's work," we must inscribe on our banner the revolutionary watchword, "Abolition of the wage system." It is the historic mission of the working class to do away with capitalism. The army of production must be organized, not only for everyday struggle with capitalists, but also to carry on production when capitalism shall have been overthrown. By organizing industrially we are forming the structure of the new society within the shell of the old

working up a sweat

Troll alert. Quit trying making your class project coming here. Brother Joe Stalin. We work for a living for a company that makes a profit. We are compensated in salary and wages.