Members Not Voting

Karma...

When and how will Teamster Management address the issues of such low member voting percentages in both local and national elections ?.....This leads to UPS Management not taking the Teamsters seriously....remember the adage of...In Unity there is Strength ?.....not much Unity displayed ......

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
When and how will Teamster Management address the issues of such low member voting percentages in both local and national elections ?.....This leads to UPS Management not taking the Teamsters seriously....remember the adage of...In Unity there is Strength ?.....not much Unity displayed ......

This should end well.
@Casca I'd like you to meet @BigUnionGuy .

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U knows

The point is to strengthen the union by more participation and educating....proactive......not reactive or status quo....
Too many members actually feel that they are entitled to making $37/hr with a platinum health care coverage and a lifetime pension after 25 or 30 or 35 years. They feel that they earned all of this on their own without the Union.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Too many members actually feel that they are entitled to making $37/hr with a platinum health care coverage and a lifetime pension after 25 or 30 or 35 years. They feel that they earned all of this on their own without the Union.

We almost certainly wouldn't have those things without the Union negotiating for them. That doesn't mean we don't earn them or deserve them. I agree with the OP that member involvement is a leadership issue, something the Union needs to work on.

I think most members who are uninvolved are so because they are unaware of what goes on behind the scenes, what it takes to secure their compensation and enforce contracts. Most UPS members' only interaction with the union, that they are aware of, is having their dues taken out of their checks.

Yet, we all deal with management day in and day out, and most members rely on their relationship with management in order to navigate their careers successfully. They'll believe what management tells them because they don't realize they have a choice, or that they should even question anything.

542thruNthru

The point is to strengthen the union by more participation and educating....proactive......not reactive or status quo....

Do you have any ideas?

Can you name the issue in your building that is causing members not to vote? Please don't say because of the pushing through of this last contract because I'm pretty sure your local hasn't been over 50% in the last 3 contracts at least.

I hate to say it but voter apathy is rampant in more than just the Teamsters. It's a problem I wish was as easy as just "informing" members.

JOHNEEK

We almost certainly wouldn't have those things without the Union negotiating for them. That doesn't mean we don't earn them or deserve them. I agree with the OP that member involvement is a leadership issue, something the Union needs to work on.

I think most members who are uninvolved are so because they are unaware of what goes on behind the scenes, what it takes to secure their compensation and enforce contracts. Most UPS members' only interaction with the union, that they are aware of, is having their dues taken out of their checks.

Yet, we all deal with management day in and day out, and most members rely on their relationship with management in order to navigate their careers successfully. They'll believe what management tells them because they don't realize they have a choice, or that they should even question anything.
Be thankful

Nah
Can you name the issue in your building that is causing members not to vote

A combination of apathy, cowardice, and impotence. At least from my experience, this is what I've seen.

Apathy - Some individuals are perfectly content with the current situation or maybe even don't realize that the Union exists.

Cowardice - A lot of people just want to "do their job and go home," without putting a target on their back. So they don't file grievances, or really get involved with the Union at all.

Impotence - Some members have seen certain ironclad grievances fail or disappear one too many times to care anymore. They believe, best case scenario, that the Union is just weak. Worst case scenario, that there is active collusion between Union officials and management to sweep certain issues under the rug and possibly disparage others who make any noise.

As much as I hate to say it, the last one is what I hear the most from people. And I'm not entirely sure whether they're wrong to feel the way they do.

542thruNthru

A combination of apathy, cowardice, and impotence. At least from my experience, this is what I've seen.

Apathy - Some individuals are perfectly content with the current situation or maybe even don't realize that the Union exists.

Cowardice - A lot of people just want to "do their job and go home," without putting a target on their back. So they don't file grievances, or really get involved with the Union at all.

Impotence - Some members have seen certain ironclad grievances fail or disappear one too many times to care anymore. They believe, best case scenario, that the Union is just weak. Worst case scenario, that there is active collusion between Union officials and management to sweep certain issues under the rug and possibly disparage others who make any noise.

As much as I hate to say it, the last one is what I hear the most from people. And I'm not entirely sure whether they're wrong to feel the way they do.

I see see much more "apathy" and "cowardice" here than "impotence".

To have a majority of impotence there would be many more people that actually know the contract. Most can't even tell you what their next raise will be.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Well my vote was no, and the majority was also a no....yet it still got passed. The ones that do vote, don’t matter. Apathy is real.

Most can't even tell you what their next raise will be.

$4....In less than a month. I’m almost to the point of no return boys. I can basically taste that top scale money. Who am I kidding I already sold my soul. Jesus take the wheel.