BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Indeed and reads like fiction or satire.

I don't know if I would go that far.

@104Feeder has always presented well informed, knowledgeable, and informational posts to aid the members.

Can you explain to us what you mean by "without deliberation", are you saying there was no executive session at the conclusion of presentations, rebuttals and questions from the Panel at this hearing? I find that very hard to believe.

Curious about that myself.

I presented one case at the National Air Panel and it was deadlocked in to arbitration.

Over a $54.00 claim about air drivers picking up ground pkgs.

It took 2 years.

The company paid the grievance to avoid spending $thousands.... on a case they couldn't win.

....and while you are at it, tell us why you would think a National Panel would offer an explanation when rendering a decision?
In my long history of participating in Panel hearings, I have never been offered an explanation outside of or in a sidebar (off the record) conversation.

I have gotten explanations from a former JAC Union Chairman.

It's not common.... unless you ask.

As far as changing exhibits on rebuttal, that makes little sense either and would be a classic point of order.
Now if a party says the wrong thing, opening a door in their presentation for the other party to enter additional exhibits into the record in rebuttal, that is possible.

It's still just bizarre.

This post is vague and lacking in facts at best and likely motivated by political agenda ultimately.

I hope not.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
@104Feeder has always presented well informed, knowledgeable, and informational posts to aid the members.
I don't disagree, but in this case....not so much.

I have gotten explanations from a former JAC Union Chairman.

It's not common.... unless you ask.
Yeah I have too, but not in the room.

At the actual hearing there has always been an executive session, and when the decision is ultimately read, the Sergent exclaims "clear the room" and they prepare for the next case.

That's what I find odd here

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Its funny you say that the power slate is pressing that issue. When they were at cach. They told me that. I dont bite my tongue so i told him im a straight white male you think i care about diversity hire. I said usually it just means a over qualified white guy got passed over. Im surprised nobody on either slates are on here.
Truth is, most UPS'ers haven't any idea who these people running are.

Made brown

Subcontracting.

Every Feeder Driver hates this more than anything.

Every Package Driver waiting to go to Feeders should be even more pissed because subcontracting keeps you in that non-air conditioned Package car.

150 bundled grievances regarding subcontracted LOCAL work were denied, DENIED, by the National Air Committee without deliberation or explanation even after the Company was caught changing some of their exhibits on rebuttal.

Who chairs the National Air Committee?

If TU will sell us out they will sell you out too.
Is UPS using the not enough feeder to service the customers excuse to justify subbing CPU's? This is ridiculous because yesterday I dragged a 53 around to pickup at closed customers. Their own lack of planning.

Big Rigger

Subcontracting.

Every Feeder Driver hates this more than anything.

Every Package Driver waiting to go to Feeders should be even more pissed because subcontracting keeps you in that non-air conditioned Package car.

150 bundled grievances regarding subcontracted LOCAL work were denied, DENIED, by the National Air Committee without deliberation or explanation even after the Company was caught changing some of their exhibits on rebuttal.

Who chairs the National Air Committee?

If TU will sell us out they will sell you out too.
What was the essence of the grievances pertaining to and who presented them?
Hopefully this doesn't seem like ignorant questions but there's not much info to shed light onto what was going on.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I find it interesting that his running promise is to provide diversity to the Teamsters lol. Is that even necessary? Why cant it just be about the members of the union and what they want as a whole versus, "ive been told that we need more diversity in the union leadership".. lol

Sorry, you're not allowed in here. :wink-very:

There was a term, it was called “dictating a contract”...The real power belongs to the Company’s side if there no real threat of a work stoppage. Our Union lost it’s swagger after the 97 strike, that was the time to really reform and strengthen, it did not happen. What you got now is a two class membership, the haves who happen to be on these negotiating committees and the have nots left behind because they are a minority of the rank and file and do not count.

The company sees this and will use it, they seen weak leadership who have lost touch with it’s membership and their continuing willingness to cut and run to protect their status quo. Our Union has lost it’s soul and needs to go back to it’s roots again, equal pay and benefits for every member, none of this bickering by these conferences to protect their vested interests, playing politics and word games will only destroy any solidarity.

Maybe it is their formula to stay in power, keep the membership in the dark as they play their “ secret reindeer games” and keep their delusional power head game going by prohibiting any oppositional members from participating.

It is time to upgrade every facet of our way of collective bargaining, begin to strengthen these negotiating committees with real teeth, none of this caving in on a strike vote and then blaming it’s membership for their lack of participation...it is a cowardly way to pass blame. The company sees this and are probably laughing behind closed doors at our people on these committees.

Whether either party will make a difference, don’t know...maybe it is all a dog and pony show and every actor is playing their pre rehearse roles, really do not have vote for the better or will it be business as usual with the IBT.

It's very simple. Teamsters are involved in multi-employer pensions that are, by and large, being propped up by a single employer. That gives UPS all the leverage it needs to get whatever it wants. The key to a stonger union, in terms of dealing with UPS, is fixing the pensions.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
Sorry, you're not allowed in here. :wink-very:

It's very simple. Teamsters are involved in multi-employer pensions that are, by and large, being propped up by a single employer. That gives UPS all the leverage it needs to get whatever it wants. The key to a stonger union, in terms of dealing with UPS, is fixing the pensions.

What is alarming with the last couple of Contracts is the total lack of negotiating power shown by the International's committees, they appeared to have given up... particularly with the Central and Southern Supplements...

Maybe with the possible resolution of the underfunded Central States pension plan the new Negotiating Committees will be able to get those members closer to what the West has. This forgivable loan will have strings attached, the Feds will be running the show for the most part, the money will not be given directly to these suffering pension plans but will be handed out by the PBGC. I believe that the current retirees will be issued checks from that agency when these pension trusts accept their loans.

What is grievous is the disparity for the part time years between the Western Conference and the Central and Southern, most of the full timers under current IBT/UPS Pension Plan have 5 to 10 years as part timers. That plan is totally controlled by the Company, there really has not been any improvements for those vested years served over theist 24 years. The Western formula for a 30 year (part time pension) is 3000 and it continues to grow well after 35 years, that monetary benefit carries over into your full time years with no limitations..I believe that currently it pays roughly 300 dollars per service year.

People been playing politics over this issue for the longest time...Study Article 34 Master and Central Supplement 17 relating to the IBT/UPS Pension benefits...Why did the national negotiation committee include duplicate language..I believe that it was to make sure that the Central and Southern did not have total control or say in the matter, even if by chance we voted the Central and Southern down those inferior benefits will still be in place if the Master passes...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
What pension at this point needs "fixing"?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
What pension at this point needs "fixing"?

I'm sure I don't know. If they are fixed now, we surely have good things to expect from future negotiations. Let me ask you; what steps have been taken to secure the pensions in the long term? Are we hoping for government bail outs every time things get dicey?