Mercedes Benz Sprinter

STFXG

There's a turbo resonator eliminator that's around 140 bucks. Basically just a pipe that replaces it.

Goldilocks

Our mechanic told me this morning that some stations have the Nissan type sprinters, and they seem to be so much better than the Mercedes.

Our mechanic told me this morning that some stations have the Nissan type sprinters, and they seem to be so much better than the Mercedes.

I think those are in the testing phase same as the Fiat. OMG I hope they don't buy that piece
of crap. They are also testing several all electric manufacturers. That will be a grid nightmare. I'm told they take as much electricity as a house to recharge so you cannot have a whole fleet charging at once. Lots of infrastructure coming into the stations for those. Department of energy grants are paying for both the trucks and infrastructure.

bbsam

Staff member
I have had a rental for about a year now. Seems like a pretty goomd vehicle for low stop/high mile routes. Got the truck with 19 miles on it. What are the big maintenance issues with them?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think those are in the testing phase same as the Fiat. OMG I hope they don't buy that piece
of crap. They are also testing several all electric manufacturers. That will be a grid nightmare. I'm told they take as much electricity as a house to recharge so you cannot have a whole fleet charging at once. Lots of infrastructure coming into the stations for those. Department of energy grants are paying for both the trucks and infrastructure.

Hey, ask if you can demo one of the electric vans from the Route 66 Tour!! Maybe they can tow one over to you, or are they still on promotion-only status (sitting in storage)?

HomeDelivery

We don't maintain any of the rentals.

I believe he was asking if those newer FedEx Express sprinters have any quirks/ special tools or procedures on the Preventative Maintenance checklists (the Ryder sprinter is about the same van, only difference is the company vehicles have shelves in the cargo area...)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ie, I heard someone saying they need to access the OBD port for a simple brake fluid flush to purge the ABS unit

It would have been better to activate the ABS, via DRBIII, to agitate the fluid inside the ABS during the flush,

there's an old backyard-mechanic way to do this without hooking up to the ABS controller though...

Tech Alert-Brake fluid flushing - Sprinter-Forum

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I have had a rental for about a year now. Seems like a pretty goomd vehicle for low stop/high mile routes. Got the truck with 19 miles on it. What are the big maintenance issues with them?

We have a bunch of them in my station. Brake and transmission problems are very common, as are electrical issues. The sliding side doors are also problematic. We've had several side doors literally fall-off. Not a good vehicle.

jmeti000

Thank god im keepin my w700. Theres something soothing about the pur of that diesel engine in the morning...even as I cough and weeze my way out of the building through the exhaust fumes lol.

The new ones are a lot better than the first ones we got(2002). We have had a few for over a year and for the most part have been problem free, other than drivers bending the hood prop. Some of the newest ones we had to send straight to the dealr when they were delivered with check engine lights which turned out to be problems with the intake runner control actuator. Few glow plug.issues. now they are eating the tires off. Yay! Set of tires wont even make 2 pm cycles. 8 months.

HomeDelivery

... transmission problems are very common...

as far as that goes, those transmissions are easily bumped into manual +/- mode... sometimes without the driver noticing that he/she had downshifted it once they put it in drive. It's waay too easy to bump it left or right & with an inattentive driver, you'll have it straining in 3rd gear instead of OD during a cruise on the highway (keep an eye out for the tach & an ear out for the engine revs)

I did hear a driver messing up the rear diff because he didn't do a proper PM check before he left the building (it was leaking gear oil and was running it dry)

STFXG

I get about 30k miles on a set of tires in the newer models. They also have egr issues... But what diesel doesn't?

I've got a few sprinters. My 06 has over 500k miles on the original motor and has only needed the trans replaced once at around 300k. Been a very good truck.

check6ii

Thank god im keepin my w700. Theres something soothing about the pur of that diesel engine in the morning...even as I cough and weeze my way out of the building through the exhaust fumes lol.
Document this. Seriously, if you are a non smoker and develop cancer.

lobo157

I dont drive one .... but a courier at a local station had a collision with a telephone pole in one , smashed into the windshield, and airbag never deployed .... hmmmmmm

I dont drive one .... but a courier at a local station had a collision with a telephone pole in one , smashed into the windshield, and airbag never deployed .... hmmmmmm

We have had alot of issues with the SRS light on the dash being on. The problem is with the seat belt buckle switch that tells the supplemental restraint system that your seat belt is fastened. If it thinks you seat belt is not fastened it will not deploy the air bag.