SERIOUS safety issue with keyless entry/ ignition

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It happened Wednesday. I wrote it up that night and it was repaired and back on the road yesterday. There is no point in calling OSHA or DOT until I have more information about the failure and what is being done to prevent it from reocurring.

With all due respect, and I have plenty for your opinions, isn't OSHA and the DOT better suited and better qualified to gather more information about the failure and what is being done to prevent it from reocurring?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am quite certain Sober doesn't need any help figuring out what is the right thing to do in this situation. I happen to agree with him---give the local center a chance to figure out what happened before reporting the incident to an outside agency.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
1. The car suffered a malfunction.
2. I wrote it up on the DVIR that night.
3. A DOT- certified UPS mechanic made the necessary repairs and declared the car to be OK for service.

At this point, I dont know what basis I would have for even calling DOT.

upsyo

I have no idea which is why I asked the question.

I have keyless entry/start in my Nissan and there is an overide that will not allow you to turn the engine off while the vehicle is moving.

then what do you do if your gas pedal gets stuck? sounds like you're screwed!

over9five

Staff member
3. A DOT- certified UPS mechanic made the necessary repairs and declared the car to be OK for service.

Because it has happened before, and no-one even told you that it could happen to you. Like you said, you could have been killed. Someone else might be because no-one told them that it could happen to them. UPS already knew this was happening, and didn't even warn anyone.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I don't believe anybody can or will make UPS do anything, government or otherwise, until somebody is injured or killed.
My point being that this occurrence should be documented somewhere other than the annals of the UPS automotive department.
Does anybody here think this company would be forthright with the facts if something disastrous happens?

Last edited:

Big Babooba

I have no idea which is why I asked the question.

I have keyless entry/start in my Nissan and there is an overide that will not allow you to turn the engine off while the vehicle is moving.
For some reason my last post didn't show up.

Check your operator's manual. You should be able to shut the engine off by holding the start/stop button in for a second or two.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I don't believe anybody can or will make UPS do anything, government or otherwise, until somebody is injured or killed.
My point being that this occurrence should be documented somewhere other than the annals of the UPS automotive department.
Does anybody here think this company would be forthright with the facts if something disastrous happens?
UPS will pay off the appropriate lawmakers and victims, be on their way. Nice thought anyway. ;)

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
Just wait 'til you're hauling ass on the fwy and you think your turning on/off your interior light toggle switch, and kill the engine AND ALL POWER BRAKES AND STEERING. You work out bro?

Z

ZQXC

I also find it fascinating how inconsistent company policy is in regards to giving out the code to the lock box. In my building, all you have to do is call in to the shop and say your fob is acting up and they will give you the code without any hassle. And the mechanics dont ever bother to change the combination either. Apparently there are other locations where they act like you are asking for the launch codes for a nuclear missile.

As I have mentioned before, they never took our keys away. Keys are on the same ring with the fob. Nothing at all in the lock box.