Miserable

glowworm

Hi all,

I'd like to say hi and apologize up front if my questions have been answered in previous threads. I've searched a bit, but not as thorough as I'd like to, as I'm at work and have little time to do so.

I'm currently working behind a desk and cannot stand it any longer. Just over a year ago I changed careers from a construction foreman to what I'm doing now. I thought it was a good move for my future and now I'm regretting it on a daily basis. I'm not looking to go back to construction as I do not want to become my father (finishing concrete at age 60).

I'm currently looking to change careers again and I'm interested in being a driver. The job simply appeals to me, from the physical aspect to being mobile and on my own, for the most part. The pay, from what I've read, is similar to what I make now.

My question is, what is the quickest way into a driver spot? Should I dive into a part time package handler and eventually toss my number in for a position? Or do I have the same chance if I simply apply off the street?

I have plenty of experience driving large trucks, UD's, pulling trailers and even big rigs (water truck). Unfortunately, I left construction just before I received my CDL. Do you think it would be worth it or up my chances if I get my CDL on my own before I apply?

I'm not naive and know that I will most likely have to work my way into that position, but I thought I'd simply ask a few questions.

Thanks for you time and I appreciate any feedback.

Fnix

You sound like a canditate. The best thing to do is start off as a Part Time Handler and reach your 90 days first. Get a feel for the company, is it what you wanna do, do you like it? Talk to some people who drive. After that whenever you see a BID sheet for Early AM, and Saturday Air sign it. This will start you off as a "Part Time Driver" as I like to say. When you feel experienced you can then move to cover driver and then from there you can move to Full Time.

Some people prefer to skip Cover driver and jump to Full Time but I would feel more comfortable taking my time and learning then ropes then to just jump in.

glowworm

You sound like a canditate. The best thing to do is start off as a Part Time Handler and reach your 90 days first. Get a feel for the company, is it what you wanna do, do you like it? Talk to some people who drive. After that whenever you see a BID sheet for Early AM, and Saturday Air sign it. This will start you off as a "Part Time Driver" as I like to say. When you feel experienced you can then move to cover driver and then from there you can move to Full Time.

Some people prefer to skip Cover driver and jump to Full Time but I would feel more comfortable taking my time and learning then ropes then to just jump in.

thanks Fnix, much appreciated. This is what I suspected would be the most common/best course of action. Like I said, I'm very unhappy at my current position and am looking to move ASAP, so I'm a little impatient. :anxious:

What is "Early AM" and "Saturday Air". My current hours are set a 7:00AM-3:30PM, will the "Early AM" conflict with my current hours?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Glow

THe only problem with the situation suggested in the second post is that in some centers, the progression from part time package handler to full time driver can be as much as 10 years or more. In some cases much more. So you might not be able to handle part time wages for that length of time.

Since you seem to be more mature than the average part time applicant, I would tackle full time right off the bat. It wont be easy, but if you are offered full time, jump at the chance. You will top out much faster with full time hours instead of part time.

d

glowworm

^wow, 10 years, wasn't expecting something like that. Yeah I would be very interested in full time, however, I simply don't think that the money would be enough to get by. (That's one of the reasons why a driver position is so attractive the pay will match.)

Does anyone here work in the Minneapolis Hub? Any info?

Mike Hawk

With a large hub nearby you could probably land a part time shift what works with your other job, if you can handle 5 more hours of work. Your chances of going straight into driving are slim to none, CDL doesn't change that. Early AM and Sat. air are part time driving positions, Sat. air is delivering air packages on Saturday(next day air, 2nd day air etc), early AM's get delivered by 9:00 or earlier depending on your location could be earlier so you couldn't do that and your other job.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Mike

There are centers and hubs where you certainly can go full time right off the street. Not enough part timers that want full time. But that is not usually the case. Like in our building.

He needs to check around. Maybe moving might be one answer.

d

glowworm

Thanks, Mike/Danny for explaining and the info.

Hopefully the Minneapolis hub will bring me good luck. I filled out the online information; it said up front that they were looking for drivers, but after I submitted my request to fill out an application it told me that there were no open positions available for my area (same thing for partime package handler). I assume it works from the zip code you enter. Does anyone know for sure? Is it okay to enter another zip code?

feeder53

ADKtrails
You had mentioned pay, if you work the sort in my area, it is $8.50 per hour to start. You would have to be able to live on that until a drivers job came up. I do not know about your area. I would still get that CDL, and look at other teamster operations in your area. They pay good too.
Good Luck

Fnix

You could always work a Second job like most part timers do until a FT position comes. That would alieve you.

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Also keep in mind that the new wage progression is 3 years for full-time drivers.

Meaning if you work part-time for your 90 days, and let's say go driving full-time 9 months after that - it'll be 4 years total before you reach top driver rate!.

glowworm

Also keep in mind that the new wage progression is 3 years for full-time drivers.

Meaning if you work part-time for your 90 days, and let's say go driving full-time 9 months after that - it'll be 4 years total before you reach top driver rate!.

Believe me, if by some miracle I were to get a driver position, from what I've read the starting pay, plus OT, seems to be close to what i'm making now. Even if I'm making a little less, the fact that I'd be much happier would surely make up for it.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This may not be what you want to hear but I have been known to say what I feel so here goes. I suggest that you stay right where you are. If you are currently making more than what our top rate is ($28.20/hr plus a strong benefit pkg) than why would you want to scrap this, start back over at $8.50/hr w/adequate benefit pkg and hopefully progress within an unspecified time frame back to the point where you are at right now? In light of the current economic situation, I think you would be foolish to leave your current job simply because you are bored. Stay where you are--the grass is definitely not greener on this side of the fence.

Rantmuse

Cog for the man
Good advice overall. Factor in the wear and tear on the body, as well. One bad step can lead to a career-ending injury. I'm not sure how old the OP is, but its not easy starting the driving gig later in life...its even harder if you're starting UPS entirely.

<<This may not be what you want to hear but I have been known to say what I feel so here goes. I suggest that you stay right where you are. If you are currently making more than what our top rate is ($28.20/hr plus a strong benefit pkg) than why would you want to scrap this, start back over at $8.50/hr w/adequate benefit pkg and hopefully progress within an unspecified time frame back to the point where you are at right now? In light of the current economic situation, I think you would be foolish to leave your current job simply because you are bored. Stay where you are--the grass is definitely not greener on this side of the fence.>>

barnyard

KTM rider
You can try applying, but I suspect that you are a year late. Last year, all 3 twin cities centers were hiring off the street. They asked guys from my center (including me) if anyone wanted to move to Maple Grove. Thanks, but no thanks.

This year, there have been lots of feeder layoffs and those guys are bumping into package.

The railroads are hiring in the twin cities (BNSF, UP, CP and CN.) Better money and better retirement than UPS.

TB

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
As has been mentioned, your age, while not old, is not your friend. At best you are looking at 25 years as a driver, and that is on top of what you would have to put in part time. And I can tell you from experience, the job does not get any easier when you go past 50. But the body begins to show more signs of wear and tear, and the recoup periods become longer and longer.

So you really need to do some soul searching to figure out if that is really what you want. Nothing would be more heartbreaking to switch jobs, only to find out what appeals to you today is not much better than " do not want to become my father (finishing concrete at age 60)."

Might help to work part time, to see if indeed that is what you want to do.

d

glowworm

I hear what you guys are saying, and yeah starting over is difficult to do, however take a look at my current situation.

I make around 35K/year, this is not that great. My job title is EDI Trainer, which means I basically train appraisers on how to use their software and trouble shoot issues when they come up. I've never worked (for long periods of time) behind a desk so I'm not used to it and have found out that I do not enjoy it. The reason I decided to work for this company is because I was able to get in from the ground floor, I literally started working here the day the company opened. This sounds terrific, however, my "department" is within what is called the "Panel Management" department; they did this because the EDI Department was far to small to create it's own area. That being said, I have no chance to move up into a senior, team lead or manager position, I'm stuck right were I am getting a 1-3% raise per year. So not only am I completely miserable doing what I'm doing, I cannot further my career here.

I'm currently 28 and have worked hard labor since I was 14 years old, in fact I still take on side jobs building retaining walls and such when they come up. I don't want to diminish the physicality of being a driver, but delivering packages and working concrete construction are two different types of physical work, believe me concrete is one physically demanding job. I'm in great shape, I run/walk/swim/bike at least 15 miles 4-5 times per week and lift weights on alternating days. As I said before I don't want to work construction but I also do not wish to be behind a desk for the rest of my life. I figured driving for UPS or some other company would be a happy medium. I enjoy moving around and working up a sweat and most of all I enjoy feeling as though I have accomplished something at the end of the day (doing what I'm currently doing I certainly never feel like that).

I truly appreciate the advice, and will take some of it to heart, but if I can toss my hat into the ring and give it a shot, and if I can end up even one ounce happier than I am here, I'll take it.

thanks again for the advice and info guys/gals.

glowworm

As has been mentioned, your age, while not old, is not your friend. At best you are looking at 25 years as a driver, and that is on top of what you would have to put in part time. And I can tell you from experience, the job does not get any easier when you go past 50. But the body begins to show more signs of wear and tear, and the recoup periods become longer and longer.

So you really need to do some soul searching to figure out if that is really what you want. Nothing would be more heartbreaking to switch jobs, only to find out what appeals to you today is not much better than " do not want to become my father (finishing concrete at age 60)."

Might help to work part time, to see if indeed that is what you want to do.

d

this is what i will probably end up doing. :peaceful: