misloads/fixes

DS

Fenderbender
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I found this on upsers.com and thought it might be interesting to review the ways mngmt has chosen to deal with misloads.As front line drivers and loaders we probobly have some proactive ideas that would involve more than discipline.I only intend to seek positive ideas and do not mean to undermine the integrity[/FONT]
of ups or upsers.com in any way.What would you do to minimize
or hopefully to eliminate misloads altogether.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Awareness[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Daily feedback to our hub team on all misloads.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Misload information posted by area and destination.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Misloads information reviewed with loaders, telecoders, and data acquisition people within 15 minutes of sort. Employees initial SEAS summary.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Team-up[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All levels of management involved in investigating misload problems and developing a service-conscious environment.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Division manager conducts weekly reviews with most-help-needed sort. Sort manager conducts weekly reviews with both full- and part-time supervisor in most-help-needed area.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Focus meetings held with employee groups. All levels involved in finding solutions and determining how they will be tracked.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Training[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All pickoffs, loaders, smalls sorters, and baggers trained and certified in proper job methods. Certifications updated quarterly (includes scanning procedures).[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Part-time supervisors work with employees at least 20 minutes of every hour every day.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Accountability[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All service checks documented on Hub Action Summary.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All pickoffs, smalls sorters, and baggers tested quarterly - test scores documented.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Loaders use reject sheets to stroke count rejects.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Rejects tracked and reviewed hourly and daily on Hub Action Summary.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Misloads, rejects, and test packages tracked on employee profiles.[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Employee profiles reviewed weekly.[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Each loader locked into a load(s) and has correct ID logged in scanner.[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All pickoffs, loaders, smalls sorters, and baggers have and use validated, current load charts.[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Service checks must be done on loaders and baggers within the first 30 minutes of the sort and every hour (includes checking scanner loads keys).[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Service checks must be done on most-help-needed employees a minimum of five times daily.[/FONT]
  11. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Loaders and baggers read out loud all targeted destination labels.[/FONT]
  12. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Smalls sort supervisor checks all targeted destination bags.[/FONT]
  13. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Full-time supervisor talks with all pickoffs and loaders that are off Minimum Acceptable Requirements (MAR).[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Keep Them Happy[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Active recognition program in place for employees.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Recognition given for daily, weekly, and monthly accomplishments.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Responsibility: [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Local sort and hub employees – Read all labels/read UPS Routing Code labels/load all packages to correct destination. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Clerks – Process all building ECS packages prior to sort down time. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All part-time and full-time local sort and hub management – Review SEAS results with employees daily. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hub/local sort management team - Sort manager and business manager conducts weekly reviews with full-and part-time supervisor in most-help-needed area. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Division manager - Conducts weekly reviews with most-help-needed sort. [/FONT]

DS

Fenderbender
Ok I'll go first.I think that if they let the drivers go on the clock 15 minutes prior to the pcm to go through thier loads it would eliminate
local missorts before they become the time consuming procedures I'm
sure we are all familiar with.At the same time in eliminating service
failures it takes away the accountability of every person that has touched
the pkg since it entered the system.For the most part where I am,the postal code tends to be the main enemy.My preloader puts anything in my truck regardless of the street name,address,or even the city if it has my postal code.As for hand written waybills,its virtually impossible to make sure that the town coincides with the actual postal code.Maybe
in these cases,with the installation of new software,the driver could
type in the town name and address in the diad at the pickup point and ensure that the correct code was on the pkg before it enters the system.

mittam

DS in the first part of your post you used the word "accountability" the only ones held accountable to anything in UPS are those of us in brown everyday. I had that discussion with my center manager yesterday. He swore he is held accountable on his job and I begged to differ. His all runs down to the road sups who then push it on us. Other than that I agree with your entire thoughts on this. Today they gave me a break on running a hard very bulky route. I ended up with 134 miles though with a rough job. All I did was meet 5 drivers with a package or 2 and met 2 more 2 times. All I did was shuttle misloads and left in building packages for 4 hours.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I've gone through 4 preloaders in the last two years. When is UPS going to realize that $8.50 an hour is not gonna cut it for new hires? My Lord...... they were paying that much 23 years ago when I started. A person could afford to quit a full time job and bide his time at a part time UPS position till he could get on full time.

I get on my car early most mornings and give it a quick look. Whats sad is management doesn't care about fixing the misload problem as long as we will either pull them off in the morning or go off area and deliver them during the day. The only time they get their panties in a wad is when a missed package shows up on the morning report and they have to answer to someone for it. I have told them over and over how pitiful our load charts are. Out part time preload sup can't do the job herself. Much less train someone else. All she is concerned about is getting done by 10:00 so she can go home.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I hope you`re not working off the clock. If you have been there 23 years you should know better.

We usually are put on the clock early (if we want the work) because the preload is unable to get done on time. I generally take the time while loading to look through the car. Having a start time of 9:30 and a 30 minute drive home only makes the situation worse. Leaving the building at 9:45 or 10:00 with a 9 hour day puts me back home at 8pm or later a lot of nights.

I have been hearing that UPS has seperate people who load the trucks then who drive the trucks and make the deliveries. The UPS carrier where I work sometimes complains that the people who load his truck load it sloppy some days. Yesterday I saw inside his truck that the boxes on the shelves were neat but what wasnt on the shelves looked like it was just tossed in the back from outside.

JustTired

free at last.......
As long as the company continues to put more emphasis on the numbers and how it looks on paper, as opposed to doing what it takes to get the job done right, there are going to be misloads and service failures.

Drivers are not the only ones who are pushed to make "the numbers". As long as you've got someone breathing down your neck, pushing you to keep the preload off overtime and getting the sort wrapped up by a certain time (regardless of volume, etc.), there is going to be mistakes. And those mistakes go up exponentially when the time constraints are greater.

You can have your meetings and reviews and training and writeups and whatever, but that doesn't solve the problem. The problem is that a human being can only do so much work in a certain period of time. I don't care what the computer says (If the computer can do it faster and more accurately, then let it load the pkgs.). These numbers are based on the "perfect load". You know....the ones like you see in the videos. The ones where you could hold a dance in the back of the pkg car.

As long as you have human beings loading pkg cars and unrealistic time constraints put on them to get the job done, you will have misloads. And I didn't have to sit in an office for two weeks and "crunch the numbers" to figure that out. There's a lot of people who's only view of the company is the view they get on their monitor. I'm beginning to think that they would have to have a 100 page manual to figure out how to start a package car and drive it out of the building.

Of course, as always, this is just my opinion.

Channahon

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I found this on upsers.com and thought it might be interesting to review the ways mngmt has chosen to deal with misloads.As front line drivers and loaders we probobly have some proactive ideas that would involve more than discipline.I only intend to seek positive ideas and do not mean to undermine the integrity[/FONT]

1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Daily feedback to our hub team on all misloads.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Misload information posted by area and destination.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Misloads information reviewed with loaders, telecoders, and data acquisition people within 15 minutes of sort. Employees initial SEAS summary.[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All levels of management involved in investigating misload problems and developing a service-conscious environment.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Division manager conducts weekly reviews with most-help-needed sort. Sort manager conducts weekly reviews with both full- and part-time supervisor in most-help-needed area.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Focus meetings held with employee groups. All levels involved in finding solutions and determining how they will be tracked.[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All pickoffs, loaders, smalls sorters, and baggers trained and certified in proper job methods. Certifications updated quarterly (includes scanning procedures).[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Part-time supervisors work with employees at least 20 minutes of every hour every day.[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All service checks documented on Hub Action Summary.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All pickoffs, smalls sorters, and baggers tested quarterly - test scores documented.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Loaders use reject sheets to stroke count rejects.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Rejects tracked and reviewed hourly and daily on Hub Action Summary.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Misloads, rejects, and test packages tracked on employee profiles.[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Each loader locked into a load(s) and has correct ID logged in scanner.[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All pickoffs, loaders, smalls sorters, and baggers have and use validated, current load charts.[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Service checks must be done on loaders and baggers within the first 30 minutes of the sort and every hour (includes checking scanner loads keys).[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Service checks must be done on most-help-needed employees a minimum of five times daily.[/FONT]
  11. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Loaders and baggers read out loud all targeted destination labels.[/FONT]
  12. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Smalls sort supervisor checks all targeted destination bags.[/FONT]
  13. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Full-time supervisor talks with all pickoffs and loaders that are off Minimum Acceptable Requirements (MAR).[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Active recognition program in place for employees.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Recognition given for daily, weekly, and monthly accomplishments.[/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Local sort and hub employees – Read all labels/read UPS Routing Code labels/load all packages to correct destination. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Clerks – Process all building ECS packages prior to sort down time. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]All part-time and full-time local sort and hub management – Review SEAS results with employees daily. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hub/local sort management team - Sort manager and business manager conducts weekly reviews with full-and part-time supervisor in most-help-needed area. [/FONT]
  • [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Division manager - Conducts weekly reviews with most-help-needed sort. [/FONT]

There are a lot of good elements noted that will reduce missorts. However, with hub staffing as it is today, there is no way all the elements can be done daily.

In my opinion, hub management staffing would have to double, to provide all the attention to detail and audits to be done accurately.

The focus should be on the sort aisle, small sorts and recycle slides, that is where the majority of misload mistakes occur.

And the more times a package is handled, the opportunity for damage is increased. So then we can have packages not arrive on time and be damaged as well.

I have never managed a hub, but have worked closely with other division and staff managers to increase service levels to our customers.

misloads, left in building pkgs, and over dispatches have not been near as bad as they were in '97. I used to spend all day delivering them. Pulling a building off a driver at 4:30 and missing 55 stops 120 pkgs.:thumbdown

ncamara

Ok I'll go first.I think that if they let the drivers go on the clock 15 minutes prior to the pcm to go through thier loads it would eliminate local missorts before they become the time consuming procedures

I've done routes that are out to the back door, so until I get rid of a few dump stops, I don't know what's on the shelf. It would work with a lot of the routes though.

Re: misloads/fixes - how much is it costing us?

How many misloads do you guys think we get per day/per truck? What all costs go into rectifying these? It seems dumbing it down a bit, but if the major thing that is causing the problem is a new/untrained guy loading the box in the wrong truck, why can't we incent the pre-loaders a bit more than $8.50 per hour to get quality guys in there, AND keep them there?

upsguysavannah

As long as you have human beings loading pkg cars and unrealistic time constraints put on them to get the job done, you will have misloads.

That is absolutely correct. I don't know how mgmt expects loaders to be PERFECT - we are all human and bound to make mistakes. Until UPS invents a robot that can load cars perfectly, there will be misloads. It's unrealistic to think that all loaders will be perfect every day, so just accept the fact that there will be misloads and then deal with them as best as you can.

Channahon

That is absolutely correct. I don't know how mgmt expects loaders to be PERFECT - we are all human and bound to make mistakes. Until UPS invents a robot that can load cars perfectly, there will be misloads. It's unrealistic to think that all loaders will be perfect every day, so just accept the fact that there will be misloads and then deal with them as best as you can.

As long as a misload frequency improves (total volume divided by misloads for an operation we are improving service to our customers and management can and does understand the human error factor.

It's all about service to the customers, minimizing guaranteed service refunds, and satisfied shippers and consignees.

I understand some of our larger customers are a challenge and Corporate is charged with keeping them happy, but we do have control over the packages our drivers deliver and pick up. The reload and hub operations in sorting the packages to the right locations to ensure service is made regarding time in transit days.

And keeping UPS volume from our competition and providing job security for our union employees

Just my opinion and experience at UPS

LKLND3380

This could work IF we are loading 75 pph...

W

westsideworma

This could work IF we are loading 75 pph...

hey there is no standard, we COULD load at 75 pph....[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]its just not currently the MAR. Actually come to think of it, doesn't the contract state there is no performance standards? Where are they coming from with this MAR business then? Anyone with two brain cells that's read the contract would know they have no obligation to meet it.

currently our MAR for preloading is 210+ pph....its the lowest number that makes the shift under 5 hrs...however my pull has a plan of 5.96 hours (I've seen the sheets)...interesting lol. When we get more volume I imagine they'll adjust it to 220-240pph, which is pretty damn near impossible the way the loads arrive...however that won't stop them haha. I only wonder why the same job has a different MAR every year? Its the same job, nothings changed...:confused:1. Mine went from 170pph when I was hired to the current 210+ I find that amusing...if not moronic.

Funny thing when I was on a lighter pull (900pcs or so) and given 5 hrs to do it, I had no missloads for two months (under PAS). Now I'm doing 1200+ with 5hrs/15min to do it and I have them regularly...doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out..but UPS has never been accused of being smart where it actually counts.
[/FONT]

Fishbulb

i always see preloaders going home early, is there a reason they cant be kept around for another 15-20min per day while the drivers are doing their PCM. Keep the preloaders around to check through trucks for misloads. It seems more economical to pay a few p/t'ers for 20min than it is to pay a driver for that amount of time which he/she will spend either delivering the misload or bringing it to the proper driver. Just a thought, maybe i'm naive..

#1angelfan

our center manager is always trying to get everybody off the clock. they don't want to pay anybody anymore than they have to. they even call break so late so that they can send some unloaders home. that's how our hub is run. pretty cheap ass company if you ask me.:thumbup1:

DS

Fenderbender
i always see preloaders going home early, is there a reason they cant be kept around for another 15-20min per day while the drivers are doing their PCM. Keep the preloaders around to check through trucks for misloads. It seems more economical to pay a few p/t'ers for 20min than it is to pay a driver for that amount of time which he/she will spend either delivering the misload or bringing it to the proper driver. Just a thought, maybe i'm naive..
If a preloader misloads a pkg in a car,how could they possibly find it ?
After all, if they knew it did not belong in that car why would they load it in the first place?
They say that they care about the customer but the bottom line is saving money,and looking good on paper.

Fishbulb

when I was on TAW & working the preload I would go through everyone's trucks just before driver start time. I would find misloads simply by going through the cars & quickly looking at the labels on each individual package. It sounds time consuming but its really not. I could go through 4 cars in a span of about 8min. On average I would find 5-15 misloads per day With the PAS system it makes it pretty simple(excluding out of sync packages of course) to find a misload. As long as the loader is loading properly(labels out, PAS labels visible) its really not that hard. Obviously in bulk trucks where you cant even walk through its near impossible to find misloads but for the rest of the routes going the misloads could be cut in half if the preloaders were kept on the clock an extra 15min to give a quick scan of their work. It's a pretty common work ethic in most companies to check your work after you've finished, in fact its somthing most of us learned in high school if not earlier. Accidents happen, human error is inevitable but if we keep the 4 or 5 preloaders on the clock for the extra 15min per day instead of sending them home early I think we could cut our misloads in half. In my center they send home about 5-10 preloaders early everyday to cut down on their paycheck. Saves the company money but as i said in my previous post it seems much more cost efficient to pay a preloader for 15-20min extra than to pay a driver that same amount of time, especially if the driver is going to deliver that misload on OT. I think they dont do this because management somewhat considers the preload & the drivers to be 2 seperate entities. Thinking that the preload manager is only concerned with his numbers & the center manager is only concerned with the drivers numbers. Preload manager doesnt want to shell out more money than absolutely necessary to his people because he/she will have to catch hell the next day from his superiors. It seems like a case of upper management not seeing the big picture. Kinda like the way when you're out on a route & one of your pickups tells you they're going to have 4600 pieces that day. Management wont call a feeder driver to handle it because even though he may need ot send 3 other drivers to help with that pickup it will make his numbers look good. Management cant see the big picture, in the end it all equtes to money for UPS but management is so hung up on their numbers game they cant see that. But I cant blame our on car sup's or center manager's for that because its upper management breathing down their necks everyday for numbers. The way I see it upper management has lost all touch with reality & is much to focused on their numbers. Just my opinion...