Misloads

john chesney

You cannot be serious.
Loading boxes isn't worth 10 bucks a hour.

It is unskilled labor....not a damn career making 20 to 25k plus benefits.
I’m dead serious we work for a multi billion company. We could probably easily pay that and save money in the long run. I ran a pair of miss loaded shoes 45 minutes away.

I went from one excellent loader to having my truck moved down the belt and going through several loaders who had daily missloads, bad bulk loads, stuff out of order everywhere. Now back to an excellent loader again who Never missloads. Everything is lined up. Bulked properly. When he’s not there. It’s awful.
He deserves 35 an hour. The others 7.5 maybe.

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
See, this is where the disconnect is.
This is why we aren't a team.

Drivers think that the part timers loading the trucks are just idiot package monkeys who deserve nothing.

Part timers think that the drivers are hugely overpaid idiot package monkeys who deserve nothing.

In truth, our jobs aren't all that much different.
Not completely. The drivers *do* have to be a bit more skilled than us.

Basically, have to have rudimentary customer service skills, and be able to drive a truck.

But then we have the added "fun" of having supervisors never more than 15 seconds away.

So the discussion, in my mind, should become, what is a reasonable pay disparity for the additional responsibilities of driving, and customer service?

We are all overloaded, and stressed.
We all have more work than we can handle.

Part timers deserve better pay.
Period.

I won't say drivers are overpaid. I know y'all work incredibly hard.
But imagine if you were paid 1/3 of what you get now.

Would you care? Would you try?
Would your coworkers be able to read, at that price point?

I'm not asking for equal pay.
But it shouldn't be hard to figure out why load quality is terrible, misloads seem to be at an all time high, and no one seems to care.

Hard to be a team with people who have no respect for you.
And that goes for both drivers, *AND* part timers.

Poop Head

Judge me.
See, this is where the disconnect is.
This is why we aren't a team.

Drivers think that the part timers loading the trucks are just idiot package monkeys who deserve nothing.

Part timers think that the drivers are hugely overpaid idiot package monkeys who deserve nothing.

In truth, our jobs aren't all that much different.
Not completely. The drivers *do* have to be a bit more skilled than us.

Basically, have to have rudimentary customer service skills, and be able to drive a truck.

But then we have the added "fun" of having supervisors never more than 15 seconds away.

So the discussion, in my mind, should become, what is a reasonable pay disparity for the additional responsibilities of driving, and customer service?

We are all overloaded, and stressed.
We all have more work than we can handle.

Part timers deserve better pay.
Period.

I won't say drivers are overpaid. I know y'all work incredibly hard.
But imagine if you were paid 1/3 of what you get now.

Would you care? Would you try?
Would your coworkers be able to read, at that price point?

I'm not asking for equal pay.
But it shouldn't be hard to figure out why load quality is terrible, misloads seem to be at an all time high, and no one seems to care.

Hard to be a team with people who have no respect for you.
And that goes for both drivers, *AND* part timers.
Have you done both jobs?
Why is it when preload is short staffed, there is no shortage of drivers volunteering, hoping not to run a route afterwards?

I personally think starting rate right now should be 17-18/he with equivalent raises for all current pters. We could actually turn people away that suck, instead of hoping people don't walk out mid shift

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Have you done both jobs?
Why is it when preload is short staffed, there is no shortage of drivers volunteering, hoping not to run a route afterwards?

I personally think starting rate right now should be 17-18/he with equivalent raises for all current pters. We could actually turn people away that suck, instead of hoping people don't walk out mid shift
your a poop

BadIdeaGuy

Staff member
Have you done both jobs?

Have I actually driven?
No.
I'm a preloader.

However, I have been a driver helper on many occasions, and have seen what the job entails. I've helped with air, (Paid for basically nothing. ;) ), businesses, residentials, pickups, etc...
And I have a parent who has been a driver for 25+ years.

Your question has no opposite.
Basically, drivers are allowed to do our jobs, but we aren't allowed to drive.
And not to mention, preloading for 35 bucks an hour, or whatever top pay is now, sounds pretty darn good to me. It's no wonder there'd be a line.

For days when drivers are short, if it were allowed, I know there are at least a few of us part timers who'd love to make some more hours. (Myself included).

Your pay rate sounds great, but I'll happily settle for 15 plus raises for existing part timers.

Drink Craft Beer

Unskilled labor isn't worth much. Hence the low rate of pay for loading packages into cars designed to hold them.
UPS refers to loading package cars on the pre-load as a "skilled position."

Once in the union, loaders gets an extra dollar more an hour, to where an un-loader and a person who scans packages (puts label on each one coming out of the un-load) would not. Those 2 positions are considered un-skilled.

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
UPS refers to loading package cars on the pre-load as a "skilled position."

Once in the union, loaders gets an extra dollar more an hour, to where an un-loader and a person who scans packages (puts label on each one coming out of the un-load) would not. Those 2 positions are considered un-skilled.

Fail to see your point.
Regardless of it being considered skilled or not by the Union it is the very definition of unskilled labor.
Loading a car designed to hold packages with packages isn't a skill.

brostalss

It really comes down to work ethic and taking pride in your job. If someone doesn't give a crap then nothing will change no matter how you pay them.

UrFellowUpser

We don't get much misloads at our hub since they started scanning each pkg but i had this dumb noob preloader today that gave me 7 misloads and a poor load quality. I didnt mind running the misloads though because all of them was in a neighboring loop véry close in trace from each other but the load was crap.