misloads

D

duh

whats with all the misloads? Is it really this difficult.?! I must pull out 5 to 10 misloads a day before i leave the building. It sure would be nice if we hired people with atleast a G.E.D.

brownman15

part time pay has only gone up $ .50 in 20 plus years in my area fedex is paying 10.50 to start and 11.00 after 30 days compared to ups 8.50 we are losing people on my preload to fedex one sup said we lost about 15 people on preload

Gman24

Has nothing to do with the pay. These kids now a days have absolutely no responsibility or care about how they do their job. Not just at UPS. It sure was different when I was brought up. That ain't been that long ago either.

HazMatMan

whats with all the misloads? Is it really this difficult.?! I must pull out 5 to 10 misloads a day before i leave the building. It sure would be nice if we hired people with atleast a G.E.D.

You sound like a supervisor. Why are you asking if it is really this difficult? Was it so difficult that YOU went into management??

aspenleaf

Asking this without thinking about all the contributing factors would be like your loader asking: "Why so many send agains? Can't they hire drivers who know how to deliver a package? Can't they do a 2nd attempt? Did they really try before they brought back 20 packages?"

I know that you are not implying that all loaders are incompetent. We work hard and not all misloads are the fault of your loader.

Lobofan5

Well you all knew I would bite on this one....

No, its not that hard. It is about giving a damn.

I give a damn, and do a hell of a good job, HOWEVER no matter how good of a job I do there is no merit increase for me.. thats right ..so if you have

1. me, great job, number order, labels facing the right way, stops
loaded together..etc...

2. Joe-shmoo loader who doesnt give a damn, crappy load and
mis load galore...

and we are both in the Job for 2 years... Joe-shmoo and I make the exact same amount of money.

SO it makes you think..why am I busting my %%% day in and day out when it gets me nothing?

It kind of wears down my 'give a damn'... at a steady rate.

So, as I have said before...you have a good loader? TREAT THEM WELL.

Cole

Some of it's laziness I imagine, but a vast majority is the confusing system that PAS has caused. Rather than remembering bus names and st numbers, they have to remember frequency numbers and that's confusing, particularly if you have last minute add cuts, and they can't find them to pull them. Also people on vacations, and loaders unfamiliar w/your load filling in. Another is multiple "smart" label errors, and the general rush.

If your loader loads at the end of the belt that only adds to an already tough situation, because they have to keep up w/ pkgs other loaders let get by.

Oh and training these days is pathetic imho.

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Nobody is perfect. If you find a misload, deliver it, or bring it back to the building, you get paid to do that, it's your job.

5 to 10 is awfully excessive, I rarely had 1 a day between three trucks, but then again I am an over achiever.

HazMatMan

I'm sorry I misread your post, so you are a driver. Sometimes you have sups loading trucks along with the preloader (why? I have no idea) they may misload also, although they will swear up and down it was not them. Get with the sup and the preloader to get to the bottom of the problem...

govols019

You smell that?

Were you ever a preloader? Did they give you about 30 minutes training and the let you loose on 3-6 trucks? Did you have to load using this screwed up PAS that negates all area knowledge?

If not, shut up and deal with the misloads. We all have them.

jcinec

You have the time to go through your load before you leave the building each am. I can't say I have it that bad; my loader is a veteran of several years. My center has its share of idiots though, which makes me wonder how they make it through the hiring process!

DS

Fenderbender
You have the time to go through your load before you leave the building each am. !
Uh uh...not in a lot of places.Some guys leave the bldg with a totally cubed out p1000 where it is impossible to "go through your load"
If they set me loose with a load like that,I could do maybe 170 stops with no pickups,but these guys do like 240 stops a day...add a hundred at peak.Most days I have it like you do,and I take 10 min to go through
and pull off the misloads,but this is actually improper ups protocol,because
the preloader is not being held responsible for his mistakes.

dammor

Were you ever a preloader? Did they give you about 30 minutes training and the let you loose on 3-6 trucks? Did you have to load using this screwed up PAS that negates all area knowledge?

I was preloader twenty something years ago. It wasn't easy then, but I do believe it is much more difficult now. The PAS system that was sold as a way to speed up and improve the load process and also help an untrained monkey deliver on the street has done neither. My loader does a pretty good job considering he is loading 3 trucks and splitting the belt. We also have too many pal labels that are just put on the wrong package. I always make sure to point that out when I have to call them in. I have also noticed lately that training is not so good for those slapping the labels on. Too many are across the barcode. That job I have not done but I'm sure it is fast and furious also.

I guess my point is that it is easy to criticize a job we probably wouldn't be able to do well ourselves. Give the loaders a break.......

Cole

Nobody is perfect. If you find a misload, deliver it, or bring it back to the building, you get paid to do that, it's your job.

No it's not. It's our job to report the misload. The PAS system only saves them paperwork, and causes alot more problems. Sups loading is another reason. Preloaders should ask their drivers about it if written up, as often it is due to a "smart label" error, and the driver can verify that for you. Because they don't usually mention that the driver sent in that the misload was due to smart label error, so as to put the blame on the worker rather than the system.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You have the time to go through your load before you leave the building each am. I can't say I have it that bad; my loader is a veteran of several years. My center has its share of idiots though, which makes me wonder how they make it through the hiring process!
WElcome to browncafe, and just what is this time called to go through your load. The only ones doing that are most likely working off the clock.
It may not be the loaders fault, the charts may be wrong. If so they need to be fixed, and that you can do on the clock. With pas edd we will be the last ones on planet earth to get this gift so I dont know how to fix it. Find out where is the fault and deal with it. Till then, leave the bldg and get all your misloads in a row, call the center, and let them deal with it. Once they get tired of filling their personal cars and finding drivers, It will get fixed. Or you will make lots of $$. Once you notify the center, its no longer your concern. Since at least at my center no one reads the misload part of the Diad, in your face confrontation of service failures, is the only way.

LKLND3380

High production leads to high volume on the belts and heavy flow leads to increases misloads.. Lets go back five years ago before PAS, Preloaders were faced with half of the volume and had 25% more time to get the job done. Even with misloads production has increased 150% and that has helped with the record profits UPS had last year.

LKLND3380

I was preloader twenty something years ago. It wasn't easy then, but I do believe it is much more difficult now. The PAS system that was sold as a way to speed up and improve the load process and also help an untrained monkey deliver on the street has done neither. My loader does a pretty good job considering he is loading 3 trucks and splitting the belt. We also have too many pal labels that are just put on the wrong package. I always make sure to point that out when I have to call them in. I have also noticed lately that training is not so good for those slapping the labels on. Too many are across the barcode. That job I have not done but I'm sure it is fast and furious also.

I guess my point is that it is easy to criticize a job we probably wouldn't be able to do well ourselves. Give the loaders a break.......

When the belt is being blown out, you must get in and out of your cars faster... IF you are loading 8A - the 3A, 6A and 9A PALs look very similar when you glance fast. Once in the package car (with your optimum carry) your focus is on what shelf and where on the shelf it goes - NOT car number...

LKLND3380

30 minutes of training? less than 5 minutes is realistic - This is the 1000 shelf... 2000... FL1... 3000... 4000... FL2... and you are lading 9A, 3C and 3B ... I had to use my crayon to write the numbers on the shelf so I could remember...