MLB Changing Intentional Walk Rules

Should MLB change the current intentional walk rules?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

MLB is considering several changes for the 2017 season, one of which includes a major change to the intentional walk rule which would mimic most slow softball leagues. Rather than the catcher standing up, signaling for the intentional walk and the pitcher being forced to throw four pitches, the new rule would allow the pitcher to simply signal his intent and the batter to advance to first base without any pitches thrown. The thought process behind this change is to speed up the game.

Future

Victory Ride
I like any idea that would speed up the game. This is a small step in that direction, but as stated it does eliminate the chance of a "passed ball" by the catcher on a wild throw.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Very rare.... But it has happened

I can recall Vladimir Guerroro (Expos) doing it a couple of times; of course, he would swing at anything from his ankles to his shoulders.

I remember when I was coaching Babe Ruth I had a player who was being intentionally walked swing at one of the pitches, driving it down the right field line for a triple.

upschuck

I think I heard where they are considering changing the strike zone, making it smaller, I believe. That would lengthen the game, either more walks, or more hits, a much bigger time impact than the intentional walk issue.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I like any idea that would speed up the game. This is a small step in that direction, but as stated it does eliminate the chance of a "passed ball" by the catcher on a wild throw.
or striking out Johnny Bench on a "supposed" intentional walk with the count 3-2.

Last edited: