Monday Layoffs

Is it true that seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work? Our dispatch supervisor says that the top seniority drivers must work on Monday before lower seniority drivers. My route is usually out in Mondays, and I have over 30 years. I would rather take a layoff than to follow my work on another route or do a vacation route. I work in Michigan under Central States. Do I have the right to take a layoff or am I forced to work on Monday? I'm the highest seniority driver with their route taken out and around 10-15 Monday-Friday drivers are usually sent home.

Est.1998

Is it true that seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work? Our dispatch supervisor says that the top seniority drivers must work on Monday before lower seniority drivers. My route is usually out in Mondays, and I have over 30 years. I would rather take a layoff than to follow my work on another route or do a vacation route. I work in Michigan under Central States. Do I have the right to take a layoff or am I forced to work on Monday? I'm the highest seniority driver with their route taken out and around 10-15 Monday-Friday drivers are usually sent home.
• Seniority DOES give you the right to work.

• 30 years and you don't know one of the guys that are laid off that would like to work and cover the route?

• Seniority DOES give you the right to work.

• 30 years and you don't know one of the guys that are laid off that would like to work and cover the route?
You misread most of what I wrote. There is no route of mine to ask someone else to cover because it is taken out on Mondays. Also, they want to do layoffs from the bottom up. I feel like I should be able to take a layoff over a lower seniority non bid route driver, especially if I don't know another route and someone else with lower seniority does know another route.

Est.1998

I feel like I should be able to take a layoff over a lower seniority non bid route driver, especially if I don't know another route and someone else with lower seniority does know another route.
This is what i understood from the first posting.
You being a senior driver gets dibs to work, seeing that working is how we all get paid. Most of the guys that are really being forced to either take the lay off, or work in the building, would probably love to run the route you're assigned to on Mondays.
Just ask one of them.

This is what i understood from the first posting.
You being a senior driver gets dibs to work, seeing that working is how we all get paid. Most of the guys that are really being forced to either take the lay off, or work in the building, would probably love to run the route you're assigned to on Mondays.
Just ask one of them.
I agree, that's why I don't agree with management forcing me to work Monday before anyone under me with less seniority. That was the purpose of the post, to figure out if there is language on the contract that would prevent me from taking a volunteer layoff. I know of at least 5 drivers that would want to work instead of a layoff, but management wants to work displaced route drivers from the top down. Even if they say that they would rather go home, like me, a 5 year driver gets a forced layoff over a 30 year driver that wants a voluntary layoff.

Steamer

Ya, that doesn't seem to make sense. Lower should be forced to work first if higher wants the day off when the route is temporarily dismembered into other routes.

That being said. If they still needed drivers and lower seniority that isn't in the building can't be forced in on their day off basically. Like say someone calls in sick that was supposed to work on a Monday. Yet your route isn't available. But they still need you to work.

There are variables that you have to consider like that.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Ya, that doesn't seem to make sense. Lower should be forced to work first if higher wants the day off when the route is temporarily dismembered into other routes.

That being said. If they still needed drivers and lower seniority that isn't in the building can't be forced in on their day off basically. Like say someone calls in sick that was supposed to work on a Monday. Yet your route isn't available. But they still need you to work.

There are variables that you have to consider like that.
If you don’t know what you’re talking about it’s best to just be quiet
SMH

DriverNerd

Is it true that seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work?
The reason we say that is because there is no wording in the contract that says you get to bump or use your seniority in order to not work. Such as what you are asking. But there is specific wording pertaining to being told you can not work. You will have to check with your steward to see if your center/building uses past practice for this issue.

Est.1998

I hope that I didn't scare off @Triple Threat ?

I was going to tell him the answer....
His wife tried explaining the stress he was going through on the thread below.
Running away from ones problems isn't the solution.
If a driver doesn't want to work and is satisfied with not getting paid, just call in.

30 years of seniority, they'd love to replace him with a driver getting paid less.

I'm still viewing the comments, just a lot of opinions and nobody referring to any articles in the contract which would hold up for management. All I see is "in the event of a layoff of a full time employee he/she shall have the right to displace the least senior employee". I'm not seeing MUST work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm still viewing the comments, just a lot of opinions and nobody referring to any articles in the contract which would hold up for management. All I see is "in the event of a layoff of a full time employee he/she shall have the right to displace the least senior employee". I'm not seeing MUST work.

You're getting close....

:biggrin:

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
His wife tried explaining the stress he was going through on the thread below.
Running away from ones problems isn't the solution.
If a driver doesn't want to work and is satisfied with not getting paid, just call in.

30 years of seniority, they'd love to replace him with a driver getting paid less.

Yeah.... not reading all that BS from somebody's wife.