Monday Layoffs

browned out

Is it true that seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work? Our dispatch supervisor says that the top seniority drivers must work on Monday before lower seniority drivers. My route is usually out in Mondays, and I have over 30 years. I would rather take a layoff than to follow my work on another route or do a vacation route. I work in Michigan under Central States. Do I have the right to take a layoff or am I forced to work on Monday? I'm the highest seniority driver with their route taken out and around 10-15 Monday-Friday drivers are usually sent home.
If you are in Michigan in Local 243 the following applies:

(G) Whenever there is a need to reduce regular package car drivers(s) (RPCD) on a day in a center, the Company will offer RPCDs the right to take the day off by seniority.

That language is also beneficial to the company. Let an old guy who makes $40 an hour stay home and have a younger RPCD making $25 an hour come in and work. WIN WIN The company is extremely happy with this trade off.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Is it true that seniority gives you the right to work, not the right to not work? Our dispatch supervisor says that the top seniority drivers must work on Monday before lower seniority drivers. My route is usually out in Mondays, and I have over 30 years. I would rather take a layoff than to follow my work on another route or do a vacation route. I work in Michigan under Central States. Do I have the right to take a layoff or am I forced to work on Monday? I'm the highest seniority driver with their route taken out and around 10-15 Monday-Friday drivers are usually sent home.
Jam it up their ass this coming Monday. Take all your breaks, stop completely at every stop sign, use designated walk paths, fold in your mirror, any method you can think of that will help you not get it done. They’ll get the message and put a runner on it.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Jam it up their ass this coming Monday. Take all your breaks, stop completely at every stop sign, use designated walk paths, fold in your mirror, any method you can think of that will help you not get it done. They’ll get the message and put a runner on it.
A little asterisk here, don’t tell your boss your gonna do this as you clock in, then you will be fired for sabotaging the operation. Be a man and jam it up their ass quietly.

nWo

They are trying to cut back on 6th day punches. The low seniority guys are going to be forced to work Saturday. So they need the higher guys to work on Monday.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Ummmmmm. This is what we do everyday...

iruhnman630

• Seniority DOES give you the right to work.

• 30 years and you don't know one of the guys that are laid off that would like to work and cover the route?
They have taken that choice away from us AND can force us to work Saturday if we do take Monday off

iruhnman630

In the past we have deferred to past practice and allowed voluntary layoff by seniority.

No more.

Our 3-center building is now building-wide high seniority works.

In other words, even the high seniority drivers whose routes are cut can be forced to work in another center if necessary.

My current route has become one of those cut routes despite having a heavy pickup load on Mondays. It is ridiculous.

Thebrownblob

In the past we have deferred to past practice and allowed voluntary layoff by seniority.

No more.

Our 3-center building is now building-wide high seniority works.

In other words, even the high seniority drivers whose routes are cut can be forced to work in another center if necessary.

My current route has become one of those cut routes despite having a heavy pickup load on Mondays. It is ridiculous.

If you’re high seniority you should be able to follow your work. But if they sent me to another center they would be very sorry.🐢