More money or better work conditions

brownelf

Less harassment over bogus numbers....vote out bonus

Bonus can be eliminated here if the majority of the drivers in that center decide to do so, there are centers that have done this in the past. Ours came close a few years ago, the subject normally comes up when guys start getting large (2hrs+) production bonus on a regular basis. We do not have a yearly bid in this area, which would most likely fix the problem but create new ones. As far as work conditions go, you'll never see that happen. So I'll take the money and a pension increase.

GolfCart

Bonus or NO bonus has nothing to do with it , I HAD bonus , got it EVERYDAY ! then my work got moved to different hub , they have NO bonus , both places SUCKED ! so bonus has nothing to do with our bad days in the south .

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Bonus can be eliminated here if the majority of the drivers in that center decide to do so, there are centers that have done this in the past. Ours came close a few years ago, the subject normally comes up when guys start getting large (2hrs+) production bonus on a regular basis.

Must be up North or on the coasts since people get so upset when the hard working, smart overachievers make more than the rest. Its not fair ... time for a change. :groooansmileyf:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Must be up North or on the coasts since people get so upset when the hard working, smart overachievers make more than the rest. Its not fair ... time for a change. :groooansmileyf:

That's bs...my truck goes out bricked and comes back the same way....my customers help me on del and pu's and I'm still overallowed.....

UPSGUY72

That's bs...my truck goes out bricked and comes back the same way....my customers help me on del and pu's and I'm still overallowed.....

Your problem is that you seem to care about being over allowed. Those number are made up and don't take into account any of the 1000 of variables that we deal with each day.

I could careless about being over or under on any given day. If I get back to building a night without getting in a accident, getting hurt or hurting someone else it's been a good day.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
UPS is working on a formula where working drivers 10-hour days is too profittable

We should demand Double-pay for OT, no questions
With this, the I.E. formula doesn't work and they will be forced to put in a few more routes

That is the only thing that needs to change in the 2013 contract !!

yeldarb

I dont know if more money is a real option. Ya, UPS is profitable. However, UPS uses the post office because it is cheaper. They use the railroad because it is cheaper. If we make more and get more towards our pension, aren't we going to price ourselves out of more volume? We have lost alot of volume because it is cheaper to transport it by other means. How can people complain about 30 bucks an hour, a pension, free health insurance, tons of vacation/sick/option days? Where much is given, much is required. If it sucks that bad, get another job.

GolfCart

I dont know if more money is a real option. Ya, UPS is profitable. However, UPS uses the post office because it is cheaper. They use the railroad because it is cheaper. If we make more and get more towards our pension, aren't we going to price ourselves out of more volume? We have lost alot of volume because it is cheaper to transport it by other means. How can people complain about 30 bucks an hour, a pension, free health insurance, tons of vacation/sick/option days? Where much is given, much is required. If it sucks that bad, get another job.

I'll take a pay CUT for better work days !! I do NOT want any money next contract , I want better work conditions . In the OLD days it was a " Fair day , for FAIR pay " Now its great pay for a HORRIBLE day EVERY day in my hub !!! Your hub might be great , but every every route in my hub is maxxed out every day , with NO air drivers anymore . I never had late air in 20 yrs , now I have late air every week . I guess I just work at the wrong hub ?

brownelf

actually hoax, this usually happens when the reports show a large discrepancy in what a route is worth on routes with similar volume and stop numbers. Last time I checked everyone driving a package car is a hard working employee, but now with the one size fits all standards and timestudies from a cubicle in an office, many factors are no longer taken into account for your planned day which results in many people feeling the standards are unfair in that particuliar area. Do you really believe in this day and age that you can run 2+hrs under following all the rules? I doubt it.

UPSGUY72

I'll take a pay CUT for better work days !! I do NOT want any money next contract , I want better work conditions . In the OLD days it was a " Fair day , for FAIR pay " Now its great pay for a HORRIBLE day EVERY day in my hub !!! Your hub might be great , but every every route in my hub is maxxed out every day , with NO air drivers anymore . I never had late air in 20 yrs , now I have late air every week . I guess I just work at the wrong hub ?

It's only as bad as you make it.

I deliver one stop at a time that the only thing that I can control so that is the only thing I worry about.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
I would love to see better work clothing for weather, snow, rain.

What we have now for rain is a joke we are just left to soak out there. I myself would be willing to pay for some UPS aproved weather clothing. But good stuff, not junk that does nothing or just makes you sweat.

Why cant UPS go to a golf company like Footjoy and desingn some UPS Brown weather gear, they have great stuff, keeps you dry, you dont sweat in in that much.

stealth8

I think the company won't mind giving us some more $ in the next contract, but it will come at a cost. I think that they will be asking to be able to discipline us with telematic info. That way when a new hire gets close to full pay they can be terminated with that info, and they can start another newbie at the going rate. The "churning" will continue, until all of the driving postions are below full pay!! What do you think of that theory??

UPSGUY72

I think the company won't mind giving us some more $ in the next contract, but it will come at a cost. I think that they will be asking to be able to discipline us with telematic info. That way when a new hire gets close to full pay they can be terminated with that info, and they can start another newbie at the going rate. The "churning" will continue, until all of the driving postions are below full pay!! What do you think of that theory??

The Union would never agree to using telematics as a way to discipline just like it won't allow performance as a reason for discipline it wouldn't even make it to a vote.

air_dr

Thank you for your posts. I totally understand the point you are trying to make and basically agree with you. However, I also see the point of those who have said that a particular wage is far more easily agreed upon and enforced whereas "'good' or 'bad' work conditions" is more subjective and harder to police... It almost comes down to the culture of the company... and i don't know how you undertake to changing that... though goodness, I agree, it certainly needs some changing. Given what I think is the mindset of UPS, I believe there is reason to fear that giving up a wage increase in the next contract for "better working conditions" would mean less pay and ultimately the same lousy working conditions you have now...Sorry my post is not more encouraging...

As my user name suggests, I am an air driver (evenings), and intend to remain one for the reasons you bring up... even though there is far more money to be made in friend/T package car. I see staying where I am as a quality of life issue, and feel that ultimately, I am better off getting by with less money. I am sorry that is not at least an option for you... Now you have said that air drivers have been eliminated in your hub... Please tell me more... I understand A/D's were eliminated in NY about a year ago. I am in the upper Midwest, and am very interested in what has happened in your neck of the woods and when. I have heard absolutely no discussion lately at work about any planned elimination of air routes, though as a PM A/D, I tend to be among the last to find anything out for reasons which are a real blessing for me... As a PM A/D, so long as I do my job, I feel I manage to largely stay under the radar screen. When I come in, the day is winding down, center manager's and sups are on the way out if not gone, and I tend not to get hassled about production, numbers and the like. I am very grateful for the arrangement I have.