Most practical/adequate/effective way to grieve supervisor working?

clean hairy

But who’s to say gets it? Would they just pick a random preloader and say, you get the money this random driver grieved? Doesn’t make sense to me. Like I said, a lot of part-timers like leaving early. The staffing is there. Mgmt just chooses to let them go.
The person who files the grievance is the one who gets paid.

WorkingAsDirected

FWIW.....if anyone is waiting 3-4 years to have a local level hearing on a supervisor working grievance.......there is something seriously wrong with the Union representation in that Local.

My local is considered one of the best in the country and they have greatly disappointed me. I've done everything a member could do: attend union meetings, buy union raffle tickets and attend events. I also talked to all the right people about getting them resolved which helped a little but I still have some from 3 years ago. I've stopped filing grievances for a while now because its not worth it for me. Why be a target for management if the local doesn't give a crap about the supervisors working or getting your grievances resolved.

InsideUPS

My local is considered one of the best in the country and they have greatly disappointed me.

Just curious..... what statistic, poll, or information are you basing your statement on? ("My local is considered on of the best in the country") There is contract language that addresses the timeliness of grievances. Also....if you or any bargaining unit member feels that your Local Union is not representing them properly, there are Plans B & C to consider.....which would be to

Plan B - Contact the IBT directly and voice your concerns.
Plan C - Contact a Labor Law Attorney for a possible "Failure to Represent" charge.

Interesting article you may enjoy reading -

Labor board deals a blow to unions, makes it easier for workers to sue for negligence

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
We have found a very lucrative way to do this. We will punch in and stand next to them. On the clock. We now have up to 10 full time drivers either starting at 5 am loading trucks or doing the night sort. It is nice to start ot a little after noon. This week I made 1000 in ot. Our sups just call us in now. Stand with their hands on their pockets for most of the shifts

RedRvrDrvr

We have found a very lucrative way to do this. We will punch in and stand next to them. On the clock. We now have up to 10 full time drivers either starting at 5 am loading trucks or doing the night sort. It is nice to start ot a little after noon. This week I made 1000 in ot. Our sups just call us in now. Stand with their hands on their pockets for most of the shifts

interesting...

WorkingAsDirected

Just curious..... what statistic, poll, or information are you basing your statement on? ("My local is considered on of the best in the country") There is contract language that addresses the timeliness of grievances. Also....if you or any bargaining unit member feels that your Local Union is not representing them properly, there are Plans B & C to consider.....which would be to

Plan B - Contact the IBT directly and voice your concerns.
Plan C - Contact a Labor Law Attorney for a possible "Failure to Represent" charge.

Interesting article you may enjoy reading -

Labor board deals a blow to unions, makes it easier for workers to sue for negligence

I say we are one of the "best" locals because they negotiated a better contract than the national. Its a shame that an active member has to fight both management and the union.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I say we are one of the "best" locals because they negotiated a better contract than the national.

You are obviously talking about Local 705 or 710.

I hate to break it to you;

Neither one of those contracts are "superior" to the NMUPSA.

Most of the language "mirrors" the National master.

Your contract has certain articles, that have good language.

But, most of the West Coast language.... smokes yours.

542thruNthru

You are obviously talking about Local 705 or 710.

I hate to break it to you;

But, most of the West Coast language.... smokes yours.

That's right ladies...
UntidyShallowAmericanbadger-max-1mb.gif

West Coast...
ImmediateBoringHawk-small.gif

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
First thing, you must confront them and ask why they are working ?

Second.. you must ask to be put back on the clock, and offer to perform the work.
Why do I have to "offer to do the work" to make it a contractual violation when I don't accept their explanation?

See, I already have a job to do, or are in the process of doing it, or have just completed it.
Staffing isn't my responsibility .

So with that being said, I don't see why I am required to be the solution twice in one day, or how my unwillingness to be would make me ineligible to grieve?

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
FYI for little things I usually will ask if I should observe what they are doing and put the onus on them to respond.
If that response is to "keep working" while they do stuff I write the time on a load sheet walking into a package car and then record a stopping point.
the small time (less than 5 minutes) gets sent to my shop steward and anything longer I will keep and fax on day 3 along with any other appreciable chunks of time worked.
Our steward records the small minutes into their booklet and has our highest-seniority loader sign for it every week or two if need be since it makes sense to punish the smaller time with a $60/h penalty rate rather than $30/h split between several employees.