Move the Timeclocks!

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Since one is not at the mercy of the employer, it certainly makes it easier to walk through security without a care in the world, and also without being held up for any reason. this ruling makes it more acceptable to not cooperate with security, in my eyes.
So....fight the power?

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
The way security treats us vs the package handlers is night & day. They'll peek in my cooler, give me the quick wand action and high five me through the line. The package handler has to damn near get frisked naked while doing a handstand.

I feel bad for them on the rare days I'm not looking for a morning pick me up.
That's probably because they know a package car driver can swipe a package or item out on route much easier. It would be dumb to try to swipe it and bring it through the guard shack like an inside worker would have to do.

gorilla75jdw

That depends on the region.

I have worked in Oakland where a good 80+% of drivers are African American, and now in Houston where there the driver make up is a lot more diverse.

The treatment was the same at both hubs.

I agree with that you're saying though.
Minorities as well as all demographics can sign the bid sheets , it just takes seniority to gain a job , not a gender or color as ya'll arr insinuating

jaker

trolling
My old hub didn't have security and we didn't even have badges . Now my new hub has both and at first it really erk me off going though security because those guys are just plain dumb and it doesn't help that ups only has one xray machine

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Will they let you leave without submitting to a security check? If not, that ought to fall under unlawful detention and coersion. Oh, wait, I forgot, corporations have carte blanche to crap all over our rights, apparently even when they aren't paying us.

JL 0513

One could argue that companies would then have to pay your commute time. We're commuting for the company.

It's actually quite sickening to think about how much we have to do for our job off the clock. Just reality though.

CoffeeStainedUniform

Package handlers are mostly minority and female while delivery drivers are white and male.
What on earth makes you think this is a sysgender white male priviledge issue? I'm fed up with the race/gender card being played for no good reason.

If you're Awoke, go get some coffee and shut up till there's an actual descrimination.

JL 0513

Women and minorities have the same obligation to sign bid sheets , to move into other jobs , including driver positions. Please dont play that card yet , pretty please .

Seriously. People look and see there's barely any women package car drivers and conclude there must be gender discrimination or something. When it just comes down to the fact that UPS driver is an ability based job. A majority of men can't cut it, why would there be lots of women doing it?

BrownRecycler

Seriously. People look and see there's barely any women package car drivers and conclude there must be gender discrimination or something. When it just comes down to the fact that UPS driver is an ability based job. A majority of men can't cut it, why would there be lots of women doing it?

I welcome women UPS driver. They can help out with 150 pounds package and what not. But, if they refuse, it isn't discrimination but willful employment choice.

ERA! ERA! ERA!

AlreadyDisgruntled

One could argue that companies would then have to pay your commute time. We're commuting for the company.

It's actually quite sickening to think about how much we have to do for our job off the clock. Just reality though.

Ha! Actually my UPS should be paying for our commute since they lie about where the job is to attract more people to apply because they're so desperate! :biggrin:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I think the problem is that people are approaching the issue from a labor law angle (even though that should be good enough). They should be approaching it from a criminal law angle. And if the policy is causing damages, such as failing classes due to being late, losing wages from other jobs, or paying more for childcare, there is also a civil law aspect involved.

Returntosender

a 2002 federal act that extends liability protection to any company that uses “anti-terrorism” technology or services that can “help prevent and respond to mass violence,”

UPS security operates in strict cause if a mass shooting occurred the victimized can sue. Doubt ups security is homeland security approved to prevent UPS from being sued

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
a 2002 federal act that extends liability protection to any company that uses “anti-terrorism” technology or services that can “help prevent and respond to mass violence,”

UPS security operates in strict cause if a mass shooting occurred the victimized can sue. Doubt ups security is homeland security approved to prevent UPS from being sued

That should only apply to people entering the property, not trying to leave.

Returntosender

That should only apply to people entering the property, not trying to leave.
It’s both. Anyone can wear a vest go in the yard and retrieve a weapon thrown over the fence line concealed in the shrub.

Ups security needs to think if their is way someone will figure it out

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It’s both. Anyone can wear a vest go in the yard and retrieve a weapon thrown over the fence line concealed in the shrub.

Ups security needs to think if their is way someone will figure it out

Why would someone retrieve a gun thrown over a fence, not use it for anything, then carry it out through a security check point? If someone were planning to use a weapon in a parking lot on UPS property, but outside the secured area, there are way easier ways to accomplish that.

Searches on the way out are not for weapons, they are for the detection of theft. Police officers are not allowed to conduct such searches without probable cause, why should some ex-felon with 8 hours of training and a shiny badge be allowed to conduct a search without probable cause? The argument is that it is a condition of employment, and I have a few problems with that argument, but that can take all night to get into.

The main problem I will address is that corporations have managed to put themselves in a position of both being above the law, and legally capable of violating our rights, and most people will defend that position. It's absolutely insane that companies can get away with this stuff, and people not only accept their own persecution, they will fight for their oppressors. It makes no sense.