Move the Timeclocks!

AlreadyDisgruntled

At my hub we have security guards and a metal detector that we go through as we are leaving, which is a PITA - especially when there is a long line when you are trying to leave work. There is a sign saying how you must go through and cooperate or there is discipline, blah, blah, blah. I say that the timeclocks should be on the outside of the door there. I don't mind going through all that crap, but I'm not doing it for me. It isn't as though I'm wondering if I stole anything and want to check with security to find out. I am doing that for UPS and as such I should be paid for it. Anybody know why we aren't?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
At my hub we have security guards and a metal detector that we go through as we are leaving, which is a PITA - especially when there is a long line when you are trying to leave work. There is a sign saying how you must go through and cooperate or there is discipline, blah, blah, blah. I say that the timeclocks should be on the outside of the door there. I don't mind going through all that crap, but I'm not doing it for me. It isn't as though I'm wondering if I stole anything and want to check with security to find out. I am doing that for UPS and as such I should be paid for it. Anybody know why we aren't?

Supreme Court rules Amazon doesn’t have to pay for after-hours time in security lines
Here's why

dudebro

Maybe if UPS would pay a worthwhile wage to their part timers they wouldn't have to worry about as much theft.
OH, sweet summer child. A significant portion of our PT workforce has no interest in gainful work, and take a job here just to see what they can steal in the three weeks they plan to hang around.

In some neighborhoods, they take the jobs in November when we hire and tell their friends that they are "Christmas shopping"

As for the timeclocks, do you know how many people would go to the bathroom and jerk it for an hour or two after they left their work areas if the clocks were outside? "Oh, I was just washing my hands before I punch out" Yeah, right.

I worked in a large metro hub back when we were paying almost triple the min wage, and the hub was full of these POS's then as now.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Since one is not at the mercy of the employer, it certainly makes it easier to walk through security without a care in the world, and also without being held up for any reason. this ruling makes it more acceptable to not cooperate with security, in my eyes.

Let us know how that works out for you

john chesney

Ya so you don’t get paid for it

BrownThunder

The way security treats us vs the package handlers is night & day. They'll peek in my cooler, give me the quick wand action and high five me through the line. The package handler has to damn near get frisked naked while doing a handstand.

I feel bad for them on the rare days I'm not looking for a morning pick me up.

PT Car Washer

The way security treats us vs the package handlers is night & day. They'll peek in my cooler, give me the quick wand action and high five me through the line. The package handler has to damn near get frisked naked while doing a handstand.

I feel bad for them on the rare days I'm not looking for a morning pick me up.
Package handlers are mostly minority and female while delivery drivers are white and male.

BrownThunder

Package handlers are mostly minority and female while delivery drivers are white and male.

That depends on the region.

I have worked in Oakland where a good 80+% of drivers are African American, and now in Houston where there the driver make up is a lot more diverse.

The treatment was the same at both hubs.

I agree with that you're saying though.

dudebro

Extremely lazy, virtue-signaling thinking.

Not denying racism and sexism exist, but you're so busy jumping to that conclusion you miss the obvious:

Package drivers have a $150k total compensation job to lose, so they're not as likely to swipe something. An unloader who started here two weeks ago making $10 an hour? Much different story.

iowa boy

Extremely lazy, virtue-signaling thinking.

Not denying racism and sexism exist, but you're so busy jumping to that conclusion you miss the obvious:

Package drivers have a $150k total compensation job to lose, so they're not as likely to swipe something. An unloader who started here two weeks ago making $10 an hour? Much different story.

I learned a long time ago never to underestimate the power of stupid that is involved with this company, both on the employee and the management sides.