MR. FED EX

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Right. And I'm the one saying the two aren't as dissimilar as you like to believe.

Agreed, which again makes my point that FedEx is doing everything possible to make Ground as ruthlessly efficient as Express without having any "employees" who deliver packages. That means Express-style management and personnel tactics, and an ever-increasing focus on productivity at all costs. It also means that the big cheeses in Memphis over at Express are the ones that really run Ground. FedEx has done this with every company they have ever bought,and it goes just like this:

1. Buy the company and lie to the workers about the incoming takeover by the Borg (Express management in MEM).

2. Eliminate as many managers from the former organization as possible and bring-in former Express managers.

3. Get rid of "problem" employees, especially those that are pro-union.

4. Dismantle existing policies and procedures and begin implementation of FedEx Express style anti-union, anti-people policies.

5. Introduce new Express-style tracking and delivery technologies and start pushing employees for increased efficiency for the same pay.

6. Begin Express-style OSS-type engineering studies to further increase efficiency and continue the elimination process for former employees.

7. Continue implementation of Express standards, and reinforce anti-union policies through fear and intimidation tactics. Eliminate or target anyone pro-union or anyone who exhibits group leadership abilities that aren't in-line with Express protocol.

The Borg that is Express will continue to grow and fester at Ground. The trick for Fred is to try and continue to pretend that the company is really run by independent contractors, not Memphis. Get ready for some real fun. The harder they push, the less you are "independent" and more like employees. The ISP model will eventually wind-up being challenged in court too, as FedEx exerts even more control than they already have.

FedExer267

It does not matter what they call the model at Ground ask any driver and they will tell you who really runs the show. This is just away to stall lawsuits against them for now if this model fails they will come up with a new one. They will try anything to take focus off of them its going to be intresting.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It does not matter what they call the model at Ground ask any driver and they will tell you who really runs the show. This is just away to stall lawsuits against them for now if this model fails they will come up with a new one. They will try anything to take focus off of them its going to be intresting.

Yes, it will. Anyone who thinks this is a done deal is kidding themselves. A switchover of E2 and SOS would require even more scrutiny from Memphis. I wonder how they propose to try and hide that level of control. Really, the essential legal question is "degree of control". You know what's really going on....so do others.

vantexan

But what if they don't switch E2 and SO? What if customers vote with their feet by using Ground's overnight service? It won't completely replace Express P1 service or SO but it could take a huge chunk of Express business for in-state or next state over business. Customers really don't care about all the service details mgmt stresses over. All they want is that the pkg arrives safely, on time, and affordably. If enough customers learn of Ground overnight service Express will become a secondary division.

FedExer267

There has always been that overnight thing as long as I have been around its within a certain amount of miles are something. The big diffrence is you have commit times to get most overnight packages delivered my commit time is 5 pm for business and whenever for resi. Any Ground driver I know will not hop all over 5 zipcodes to meet commit times we would never finish if that was the case. Awhile back I think it was for Valentines we were told to deliver all pro flowers on our routes before 1030 am. Not one driver in my building complied they got their flowers when we got there at our normal time. If FedEx wants us to jump thru hoops for them they can pay us to.

bbsam

Staff member
Well maybe added volume shrinks delivery areas. Maybe other vehicles drive though a zip code on the way to their main delivery area and can make the early commit times. I don't know of a single Ground person who would say that we could make %100 of Express' commit times as our routes are all structured. But to say that it couldn't be done? Simply wrong.

bbsam

Staff member
Agreed, which again makes my point that FedEx is doing everything possible to make Ground as ruthlessly efficient as Express without having any "employees" who deliver packages. That means Express-style management and personnel tactics, and an ever-increasing focus on productivity at all costs. It also means that the big cheeses in Memphis over at Express are the ones that really run Ground. FedEx has done this with every company they have ever bought,and it goes just like this:

1. Buy the company and lie to the workers about the incoming takeover by the Borg (Express management in MEM).

2. Eliminate as many managers from the former organization as possible and bring-in former Express managers.

3. Get rid of "problem" employees, especially those that are pro-union.

4. Dismantle existing policies and procedures and begin implementation of FedEx Express style anti-union, anti-people policies.

5. Introduce new Express-style tracking and delivery technologies and start pushing employees for increased efficiency for the same pay.

6. Begin Express-style OSS-type engineering studies to further increase efficiency and continue the elimination process for former employees.

7. Continue implementation of Express standards, and reinforce anti-union policies through fear and intimidation tactics. Eliminate or target anyone pro-union or anyone who exhibits group leadership abilities that aren't in-line with Express protocol.

The Borg that is Express will continue to grow and fester at Ground. The trick for Fred is to try and continue to pretend that the company is really run by independent contractors, not Memphis. Get ready for some real fun. The harder they push, the less you are "independent" and more like employees. The ISP model will eventually wind-up being challenged in court too, as FedEx exerts even more control than they already have.

Oh. I see. I don't have a problem with any of that. In fact, I think that's the way it's supposed to be. They are the one's paying so they get to set the standards. But in choosing the ISP/contractor model, they do have certain limitations as written in the contract. I don't think I ever said that contractors "run" Ground. I do run my little company that contracts with Ground and I've gotten very good at it and it's been profitable and (here's the kicker) I enjoy it. Regardless of the nit picky irritations from management and on up the line, I get along with drivers, other contractors, and management. I don't care if I'm part of "the Borg". Apparently you do. Battle on Morpheus.:wink2:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Oh. I see. I don't have a problem with any of that. In fact, I think that's the way it's supposed to be. They are the one's paying so they get to set the standards. But in choosing the ISP/contractor model, they do have certain limitations as written in the contract. I don't think I ever said that contractors "run" Ground. I do run my little company that contracts with Ground and I've gotten very good at it and it's been profitable and (here's the kicker) I enjoy it. Regardless of the nit picky irritations from management and on up the line, I get along with drivers, other contractors, and management. I don't care if I'm part of "the Borg". Apparently you do. Battle on Morpheus.:wink2:
The millionth time you've mentioned this. Do you not realize the awkwardness and self-interest to continually mention, almost daily, the same exact thing? :/

bbsam

Staff member
No. I'm amazed that I have to continue to do so. I am not the one saying others must see things the way I do. I don't believe MFE have anything more than their own self interest in their stated positions. This is the direction the company has decided to go. I'm cool with it. Those who aren't? Stay and be miserable, leave and be miserable, whatever. But why am I supposed to take a view of an evil view of a company that I enjoy working for?

vantexan

No. I'm amazed that I have to continue to do so. I am not the one saying others must see things the way I do. I don't believe MFE have anything more than their own self interest in their stated positions. This is the direction the company has decided to go. I'm cool with it. Those who aren't? Stay and be miserable, leave and be miserable, whatever. But why am I supposed to take a view of an evil view of a company that I enjoy working for?

What was it you said before, you intend to leave with a crapload of money or something like that? Of course you enjoy it, things are going your way. Just remember when you are enjoying your nice retirement in your nice home, having paid for your kids' education, driving a nice car, taking trips, playing golf, or whatever you enjoy doing, again just remember that a lot of people had to do without, and retirement for them will be a struggle to keep the lights on and food on the table. Hope you appreciate that. You are scum if you don't.

bbsam

Staff member
What was it you said before, you intend to leave with a crapload of money or something like that? Of course you enjoy it, things are going your way. Just remember when you are enjoying your nice retirement in your nice home, having paid for your kids' education, driving a nice car, taking trips, playing golf, or whatever you enjoy doing, again just remember that a lot of people had to do without, and retirement for them will be a struggle to keep the lights on and food on the table. Hope you appreciate that. You are scum if you don't.
Hey, I'm a card carrying democrat. You people worried about what you don't have and will have to do with out need to stop eating up the elephant poo and drinking the Tea Party swill and then show up and vote at every election. You are scum if you don't.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The point that I think you may be missing is that none of his employees has been forced to work for him. Unless he lied when he hired them, each of them knew what they were getting in to, what was expected of them and what the compensation would be and by accepting his offer of employment they agreed to those terms and conditions.

What you call scum I refer to as a smart businessman. If bbsam is able to get qualified employees who are willing to accept his terms and conditions then more power to him. Would I work under those terms and conditions? If this was the only option that I had I most certainly would; however, I have other options so I would not accept his terms or conditions.

Do you agree that bbsam also has a right to earn a living?

I do see conditions improving for the Ground drivers as more work is diverted to the Ground side and, as bbsam said, more volume = more revenue = higher compensation.

I choose to work at UPS as I am making more, have better benefits and will enjoy a more comfortable retirement that I would have had I pursued a job using my business degree.