Multiple consecutive grievances...

FilingBluesFL

Our dispatcher tried to make a "route" out of a VERY senior drivers big $$$$ tip residential work...

He mentioned he wouldn't be available for the rest of peak due to medical problems... oddly enough it was fixed the next day... We'll see what happens the rest of peak lol

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We had a driver who punched in and after he saw his dispatch (after the PCM) went to the restroom, seemingly got sick and took himself out of service.
After a couple of those illnesses the PDS got the issue fixed.
The company preys on the weak.
They're never totally your friends so get that settled in your mind today. If the center manager was so great and honest he'd fix your issue. The pds doesn't run the building.
That's some weak sauce if you ask me. Yeah don't like dispatch so fake like you are sick. That's pathetic.

C

chuchu

That's some weak sauce if you ask me. Yeah don't like dispatch so fake like you are sick. That's pathetic.
Yes, it was. But management shoving people around against their contractual rights is also pathetic.
Gotta have a strong spine to survive at UPS. Some can't deal with it in conventional ways.

Ouch

This is whats wrong with people, why are you scared to file a grievance against a contract violation. Do you realize they have you right where they want you? They feel if they intimidate people enough they can do whatever they want and everything will be fine. Do you allso realize if you screw up you not filing grievances will not stop them from firing you. Step up file the grievance and make them do whats right. Its not that hard.

I've put grievances in before. It's not like I rolled over and just let them bone me. In September they bumped me twice in a row and I filled one out. The boss caught me doing it before the PCM, called me in and asked what was up. I told him, and they moved me back to my trip without hesitation. The paper never had to get filed. I don't get moved without a fight, at least verbally, but have seen guys get screwed that went down the All Union road and tried to ride the company by the book. Getting bumped a time here or there to avoid having a target painted on my back was a better option than sticking a grievance in every time and then getting followed every week, or driver follows, because we all know what those are when they're gunning for you. That was my choice, good or bad. Some might understand, some may think it was a poor choice. I understand why.
no offense bro but you've enabled them from the beginning it this situation. Guys that make side deals always get it in the end. You sir are getting it in both ends now.

bumped

You say your body isn't taking it well. Then, make sure you put in an incident with Liberty Mutual. You don't have to go to the doctor, but get a claim number in case it gets worse. management would love that.

over9five

Staff member
Here's what should have happened:

As soon as the OP started being Managements Angel, his route should have been put up for bid. The next senior guy who last bid on the route was screwed by someone who bid it, and then did cover.

ALSO, any brother who would not help management in this way was now an a/h with a target on his back, thanks to the OP. I'm sure there's more than a few who refer to him as "da boy".

I hate stories like these, they usually come from centers with a weak steward. A good steward would have stopped this from day one, or at least got that route assigned to the next senior man who should have gotten it.

I imagine both the company and the union are laughing at the grievance. How was it worded? "I voluntarily left my route, and now I feel screwed"?? You can't be grieving that they didn't put you on your route, because they did. So I do understand why it's being ignored.

Hopefully you'll get it back after Peak, and this will be a lesson learned.

rod

Retired 22 years
They tried that tactic with a new temporary gal one peak. Kept taking stuff off of her and giving her nothing but the gravy. Finally one of the senior drivers asked our center manager during the AM ---"what does a person have to do around here to get a cut --- have blonde hair and tits?" Off to the office he went--but the rest of us had a good laugh.

Marne Vet

Let's stop with the I'm management's "angel". I'm far from it. I have never met a driver that's put a grievance in every time they've been bumped. Maybe it's easier for people to say they would online, but in reality no one here does that. I've put them in before when necessary, but they hardly do anything but put you under a microscope, which I'm fine with. Just hate having a constant tail at work. I went to the dispatcher a bunch if times before peak telling them my intentions. I specifically told him I wanted my trip. I've put three grievanances in now all in a row, and have a pile waiting for every day until I'm back on my trip. Maybe your local is stronger, but mine isn't. I'm not taking this without a paper fight, so drop the push over idea. If I knew before Monday this was their plan I would've had the grievances in already. Oh, and I NEVER make side deals. I was asked if I wanted to take a day off or run an easier trip a few times, and those were my choices. Just because I bump a rookie to take a day off doesn't mean I made a side deal. I wanted off and used a personal. Tomorrow will be grievance number 4. :)

Marne Vet

Here's what should have happened:

As soon as the OP started being Managements Angel, his route should have been put up for bid. The next senior guy who last bid on the route was screwed by someone who bid it, and then did cover.

ALSO, any brother who would not help management in this way was now an a/h with a target on his back, thanks to the OP. I'm sure there's more than a few who refer to him as "da boy".

I hate stories like these, they usually come from centers with a weak steward. A good steward would have stopped this from day one, or at least got that route assigned to the next senior man who should have gotten it.

I imagine both the company and the union are laughing at the grievance. How was it worded? "I voluntarily left my route, and now I feel screwed"?? You can't be grieving that they didn't put you on your route, because they did. So I do understand why it's being ignored.

Hopefully you'll get it back after Peak, and this will be a lesson learned.

Not even close. No offense, but you're so far off track here you would need a GPS to find your way back to what really happened. ;)

over9five

Staff member
Not even close. No offense, but you're so far off track here you would need a GPS to find your way back to what really happened. ;)

Well maybe, but I got all my information from you. Let's see:

You went on vacation for 4 weeks and they let a cover driver do your route. (No problem there).
You came back from vacation, and all of a sudden you're the cover driver and he has your route. (This is where the problem started).
You decide to BE a cover driver and not file a grievance because you love this management team, they're the best thing since sliced bread.
Peak comes, and being a cover driver during Peak sucks, so you want your route back.

I find it hard to believe the steward or some senior man didn't slap you on the side of the head, saying "WTF are you doing??"

Anyhow, you asked for all opinions, good or bad. That was mine.

Good luck.

Marne Vet

No, I wasn't a "cover driver" when I came back. I was pulled off a few times to cover call outs on trips I knew. He went home a bunch, but that wasn't relevant to the current issue, or so I thought. I should've been clearer. Sorry about that. I ran my trip a lot between vacation and Monday, but also had the opportunity to rest my knees whenever I needed to. That didn't equate into me being their "boy" or runner. I was also told by my dispatcher that they assumed I wouldn't have a problem with going on my old trip because they knew I liked it. That's also not the issue. The problem is I was never informed that I was being forced to do this, and had no say in the matter. It's my choice if I allow them to move me, not theirs. You don't just bump a guy and assume it's ok. At least this morning I got him to admit he was wrong to assume, so I'm making a little headway.

oldstagg

Yes, it was. But management shoving people around against their contractual rights is also pathetic.
Gotta have a strong spine to survive at UPS. Some can't deal with it in conventional ways.

I don't know If its a shoving around thing or one of focus. The contract and the goodies in it will always be more important to us then to them. Unless of course the language benefits them.

Let's stop with the I'm management's "angel". I'm far from it. I have never met a driver that's put a grievance in every time they've been bumped. Maybe it's easier for people to say they would online, but in reality no one here does that. I've put them in before when necessary, but they hardly do anything but put you under a microscope, which I'm fine with. Just hate having a constant tail at work. I went to the dispatcher a bunch if times before peak telling them my intentions. I specifically told him I wanted my trip. I've put three grievanances in now all in a row, and have a pile waiting for every day until I'm back on my trip. Maybe your local is stronger, but mine isn't. I'm not taking this without a paper fight, so drop the push over idea. If I knew before Monday this was their plan I would've had the grievances in already. Oh, and I NEVER make side deals. I was asked if I wanted to take a day off or run an easier trip a few times, and those were my choices. Just because I bump a rookie to take a day off doesn't mean I made a side deal. I wanted off and used a personal. Tomorrow will be grievance number 4. :)
Once you bid a route and it's yours you should never EVER come off it for ANY reason. It there's a route that's easier than your times three isn't a reason. You want to get off early isn't a reason. If it's your route and you bid for life and it's not a training route you only run that. Need to get off early take an 8 hour. Don't like the workload file 9/5. You should have never Ever came off your route. You taking another route when yours is in is indeed a side deal.

BrownChoice

What about messing up timecards regularly. Ive asked 6 times for my past weeks timecard and they always give me a cold shoulder. Or asking pt utilty Under me to shuttle before me? Why is there not a way to get the message across besides filing blues? This company aint fedex and it needs to start abiding by the contract, otherwise get the friend out of management