My Buddy Joe got shot

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I am amazed reading the paper and listening to the news. All kinds of coverage of drug dealers getting shot and robbed, and here is a man who was doing his job, just like we do every day. He is paralyzed, yet the big front page article is we have to find help to get a puppy who was shot, medical care as the owner cant afford it. You can find nothing in this rotting town of this mans robbery.
I went to the store today where I deliver and sometimes get a snacker. People could not even talk, so upset. This fine man, was always sweet, wouldnt hurt anyone, and got shot on the way to the bank at 10am on Monday. I have been upset all day, no one seems to care that the dog will get help, but this man will be ruined forever and the article in www.vindy.com was on B2, and nothing on the local news
Man Hospitalized After Apparent Set-up
pxl_trans.gif

A man is in the hospital tonight after being shot during what investigators believe was a set-up.
Youngstown Police say 42-year-old Joseph Kaluza, a manager at KFC, was shot in the neck after a traffic accident on Hilton Avenue Monday.
Detectives say the man was on his way to deposit the receipts from the KFC restaurant on Indianola. Investigators believe a robber forced the victim to crash, shot him, took the money, and ran.

Man shot after two-car accident

Published:Tuesday, March 25, 2008
YOUNGSTOWN — A 42-year-old restaurant manager was in critical condition Monday night after being shot in the neck and robbed Monday morning after a car accident at the corner of South and Hilton avenues.
Joseph Kaluza of Youngstown was traveling south on South Avenue at about 10 a.m. when a blue-gray Saturn cut him off and caused an accident, he told police.
Kaluza called 911 and then loaned his cell phone to the female driver of the Saturn, he said.
Moments later, a man appeared at the passenger door and fired a gun at Kaluza, hitting him on the right side of the head and neck, Kaluza told police.
The female then stood near Kaluza’s car, but the shooter told her to leave, so she did, Kaluza said.
The shooter then pushed Kaluza’s car a short distance into a driveway on Hilton and demanded money.
Kaluza told the man that there was money in the console of the car, which the man took. The man then ran off, he said.
A bag in the console contained $306 — money Kaluza was taking to the bank from the nearby restaurant where he works as manager, Kaluza told police.
A family member who answered the phone in the family waiting area at St. Elizabeth Health Center said Kaluza is in critical condition in the surgical intensive care unit.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I heard the gunshots, I decided to go elsewhere and deliver, when I went back later the store convienince store told me what happened and who it was. I saw all the law enforcement, I thought that a drug dealer just got shot, nothing unusual. They fail to mention that the shooter has not been arrested. This poor guy has 2 kids, and one who is handicapped. I sure hope KFC takes care of him. Makes me sick, they could of took the money and left him be.

Upslady20

Tooner I hope your friend can count on his town coming together in helping him when he is trying to recover from this horrible life altering trauma. I love animals but it does amaze me how we are more apt to help a puppy then another human being..
I hope the company he works for stands by him and does not get him off of the payroll asap..

Upslady20

You heard the gun shots... you sound as if that is a normal part of your day....:surprise: You really have got to bid to another area.. surely there is one with less gun fire...

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
EXupsernaples, I used to work with a naples, are you him?
If not you know what a miserable area this is, Warren is just about as bad.
It justs is so upsetting. 10am!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I thought I was safe being out of those areas by noon!
I cant wait til we get pas and they tell me I have to deliver them after 5, Cya, aint doing it!!

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
You heard the gun shots... you sound as if that is a normal part of your day....:surprise: You really have got to bid to another area.. surely there is one with less gun fire...

It is, daily!! and we only get to rebid if someone dies, retires or quits. Or Id be gone like a freight train. I never had this area until someone in the ivory tower decided to abort 60% of my route, give me the crap and send the other loop driver to a nice cushy areas from noon til quit time!
Every murder or shooting is on this area, or 3 miles from it. 9th most dangerous city. Only 13 this yr so far, usually just thugs killing each other.

Upslady20

Does the other loop driver have more seniority??? Your contract does not allow for a center bid.. We bid every two years.. that is awful...

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Lady, Western states is the same as Tooner is. We only bid rtes when they come open. We have to wait for a retirement or termination.

Upslady20

That is too bad I jump every two years.. it drives the guys below me crazy.. I get bored very easy and tired of my area so I move to another one.. when one of the guys above me retires I might settle on one of thier automatic routes.. but until then..

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
Tooner: I didn't realize that things had got that bad in the Girard, Youngstown area. I know 25-30 years ago you would may see a drug bust or police chase on the Belmont Ave. strip going to the center on Trumbull Ave but that was about it. My thoughts & prayers are out there for your friend Joe & his family.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Girard still isnt too bad, nor is Boardman. It seems to be confined to South, Market, hillman, glenwood, indianola, and campbell. E side is actually better although still bad. Dont miss it, it isnt worth it. My biggest business is moving, to A town, its so bad. RSC on indy. Its bleeding off to the suburbs. I live 40 miles south almost by "Almost heaven W. VA" Its a welcome site at night on the way home. I got here in 1992, do I know you??

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I saw a 60 minute special one time about robberies in fast food restaurants. More often than not a robbery is done by an ex-employee. They know the routine and when /where the manager deposits the nights receipts. This sounds like a set-up alright. I too hope the community comes to the aid of his family.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Thats what Im thinking too.
I still dont know why he would have had Money in the am, they dont open til 11, and wouldnt they have taken the receipts at night instead of leaving them there all weekend on Easter? I would assume they were closed on EASTER.
I thought maybe he was on the way home from the bank instead of on the way to, to get opening cash.
Im hoping the bank or KFC opens an account, he was well liked. If not guess Ill have to go talk to the bank or KFC or both. I cannot do it on route or I would. Lots of people upset, as you could guess. He was nice to everyone. His workers loved him. He was not just a "boss" they liked him. He was a friend.

satellitedriver

I have been trying to compose a response to your post and I am having a hard time doing it,
so many conflicting emotions.
Sympathy, anger and regret that you have to deal with that type of situation daily.
My heart goes out to that man and his family.
My anger towards the punks out there (well I will just leave that one alone).
Regret that we all put ourselves in jeopardy daily, be it, the dangers of the road or the situations we have to place ourselves in to meet corporate goals.
I am big on safety, both for company standards and for personal protection.
As I said, I am having a hard time responding because of my anger at the decaying of our society in general.

I am amazed reading the paper and listening to the news. All kinds of coverage of drug dealers getting shot and robbed, and here is a man who was doing his job, just like we do every day. He is paralyzed, yet the big front page article is we have to find help to get a puppy who was shot, medical care as the owner cant afford it. You can find nothing in this rotting town of this mans robbery.
I went to the store today where I deliver and sometimes get a snacker. People could not even talk, so upset. This fine man, was always sweet, wouldnt hurt anyone, and got shot on the way to the bank at 10am on Monday. I have been upset all day, no one seems to care that the dog will get help, but this man will be ruined forever and the article in www.vindy.com was on B2, and nothing on the local news
Man Hospitalized After Apparent Set-up
pxl_trans.gif
Tooner, this would make a great "Letter to the Editor" in your local newspaper.