My helper nightmare and helper salvation.

helenofcalifornia

I had a helper Mon. through Thur. that was totally lethargic. But never having a helper before I just thought he was "little" substandard. He wanted his own DIAD board to play with, WALKED up to the door, knocked and waited for a signature despite my yelling at him to "stop, drop and run" repeatedly. He had to go to the doctors on Thursday at 4:30 because he bumped his knee on Wednesday, so needless to say, his doctor gave him the next two days off. I then had a helper that every driver dreams of. This kid, 17 years old, RAN! This kid was like Forrest Gump playing football. (Forrest would sit like a people until he was handed the football and wouldn't stop for nothing.) My helper was on his cell phone talking or texting until you gave him the package and he took off. We got 75 stops off in 1 1/2 hours!!!! I had a hard time parking the truck, etc, and scanning the next package for him to deliver before he got back to the truck. He was GOOD!!!! I gave him the $50 I was going to give to my Mon.-Thurs. helper. If every driver had helpers like this.... Maybe this isn't as good as some other driver/helper teams, but all I can compare him to is what I had the first four days. Anybody else have similiar helper stories to relay?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I had a helper Mon. through Thur. that was totally lethargic. But never having a helper before I just thought he was "little" substandard. He wanted his own DIAD board to play with, WALKED up to the door, knocked and waited for a signature despite my yelling at him to "stop, drop and run" repeatedly. He had to go to the doctors on Thursday at 4:30 because he bumped his knee on Wednesday, so needless to say, his doctor gave him the next two days off. I then had a helper that every driver dreams of. This kid, 17 years old, RAN! This kid was like Forrest Gump playing football. (Forrest would sit like a people until he was handed the football and wouldn't stop for nothing.) My helper was on his cell phone talking or texting until you gave him the package and he took off. We got 75 stops off in 1 1/2 hours!!!! I had a hard time parking the truck, etc, and scanning the next package for him to deliver before he got back to the truck. He was GOOD!!!! I gave him the $50 I was going to give to my Mon.-Thurs. helper. If every driver had helpers like this.... Maybe this isn't as good as some other driver/helper teams, but all I can compare him to is what I had the first four days. Anybody else have similiar helper stories to relay?

I'm a helper and my drivers have been nothing but happy with my work as far as I know. They haven't complained as far as I can tell because I was sent all over the Center to help other drivers. Hell, I was helping one guy and after four or five stops he yelled as I was going up to a house, "Maaaan, you're GOOD!! BEST helper I've had all Peak." He musta liked me because he took my help when he didn't REALLY need it. It shaved a few minutes off his on-road time, I guess. I had a few drivers that wanted me back again but didn't get it because they had a helper already and that person just didn't show up for a given day. When I was helping other drivers, I was plugging a hole, so to speak. I was kinda worried I wasn't doing well because I had like 8 different drivers in a week and a half. It turned out they were trying to find a good fit. The driver I've been with for about two weeks LOVES my work. He's got two little girls he's been getting home to put to bed, so he's been very happy. That changed when the Denver blizzard hit.

Last edited:

leastbest

LeastBest
Jumpers aren't supposed to run! The first jumper I had ran to a house and I told him if he wouldn't work safely I'd drop him off at his car.

I give my jumpers breaks and if we work over five hours a lunch. I work them as the contract and UPS policy book dictate, with respect and dignity.

local804

Jumpers aren't supposed to run! The first jumper I had ran to a house and I told him if he wouldn't work safely I'd drop him off at his car.

I give my jumpers breaks and if we work over five hours a lunch. I work them as the contract and UPS policy book dictate, with respect and dignity.

Exactly.....
Why in God would you want the helper to run and possibly get hurt for $8.00 an hour. Lets be serious here.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Guy and his helper in the Milwaukeee suburbs pounded 518 stops and 691 pieces in one day for a center record. Now that's moving!

helenofcalifornia

Dude, I couldn't stop my runner from running. (And I admit, I didn't want to) This kid was awesome!!!! I ran when I was a part-timer and have nothing but respect for the jobs they do. I can't imagine coming in from off the street and doing the job without any idea of UPS time constraints and lifting required. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but the utmost RESPECT for runners. They are definitely not paid what they are worth. (They should start them at least at $12.) That is why I tipped mine and bought lunch for mine. Small thing to do for the helluva great job he did. Kudos runners!!!!

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
I had a different helper almost every day. For the most part they were pretty good. I had one who was way overweight and smoked. He was about dead after 4 hours. I feel sorry for all those helpers out there who only get $8 an hour. The rate for helpers here is $11.87.

brett636

I had a different helper almost every day. For the most part they were pretty good. I had one who was way overweight and smoked. He was about dead after 4 hours. I feel sorry for all those helpers out there who only get $8 an hour. The rate for helpers here is $11.87.

I believe $11.87 is the helper rate here too. Wonder why its different in other areas?

Bulkstop

Shanty Irish
I had a great helper this year. 17 year old motocross rider. I had to struggle to beat him back into the the cab. The only problem I had with him was that I repeatedly had to remind him to wait until the car came to a full stop before he stepped out.

helenofcalifornia

Mine was a frisky young colt!!! And he got $8.35 and hour. How come they get paid more elsewhere? It's not part of the contract??? I know our inside runners are paid adequately since overtime starts after 5 hours. $8.35 doesn't even pay for McDonalds here (which would probably slow down most runners).

area43

Here in virgina they are paid 10.50 an hour. I heard rumors of o.t. after 5 hrs , but couldn't confirm it. My helper was 51 yrs old. He held his own. Did better than most 20 yr olds. Bottom line Profit is what matters , safety a strong second. No profit no need for safety,because will be all out of job.

MassWineGuy

As a helper making 9.50 an hour with no benefits, I never run. I walk very, very fast. But I won't run. When I'm covered by the union contract and medical benefits, then maybe I'll start running.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As a helper making 9.50 an hour with no benefits, I never run. I walk very, very fast. But I won't run. When I'm covered by the union contract and medical benefits, then maybe I'll start running.

Ironically when you are covered by the union contract and medical benefits you will move even slower.:wink2: