My Hobby Income Exceeded My Pension

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
The hobby I started just 2 years ago started making us money on the side by doing it about 10 hours a week.

Last year this income exceeded our pension. This is after expenses. It has been unbelievable. We worked maybe at most 2 hours at it per day.

So far in the first 5 weeks of 2019. Our hobby income has exceeded about 3 months of pension payments.

What is so great about this is it is so much fun and we would do it for free. It's nice to take this extra income and help our grown children out more with the grandchildren.

So take that hobby of yours, something you love , and see where it goes.
(Hope you see this one too)

I'm curious if these are large ticket items? Don't say exactly what you sell. I wouldn't want anyone harming your side business. I just wondered; Is this like a Porsche you guys pick up for $12k... clean it up and flip it for $28k?

Trying to get an understanding on your trade secrets, maybe I could piggy back off your idea with different products. I don't want to know the sites you use. I can figure that out. Just wondered what you think can punch a keystone (double) out in sales for me?

Anyway, back to the original question, are these high ticket items you're selling or under $100 items mostly? Three months of pension that quickly, this I could go for. That tells me you're buying late 80's Corvette's for a couple grand and sell for 8k. Something along those lines. That's my guess.

Thanks again :)

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
(Hope you see this one too)

I'm curious if these are large ticket items? Don't say exactly what you sell. I wouldn't want anyone harming your side business. I just wondered; Is this like a Porsche you guys pick up for $12k... clean it up and flip it for $28k?

Trying to get an understanding on your trade secrets, maybe I could piggy back off your idea with different products. I don't want to know the sites you use. I can figure that out. Just wondered what you think can punch a keystone (double) out in sales for me?

Anyway, back to the original question, are these high ticket items you're selling or under $100 items mostly? Three months of pension that quickly, this I could go for. That tells me you're buying late 80's Corvette's for a couple grand and sell for 8k. Something along those lines. That's my guess.

Thanks again :)
keep wondering. already have a couple copy cats in my area.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
keep wondering. already have a couple copy cats in my area.

D14A0C17-A411-4470-9CCA-4807F6CDDA6D.jpeg

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
True. THere's plenty of room for competition. Could you imagine what our workload would be without FedEx, Amazon, etc.? Market domination isnt always a good thing.
I love being the dominant seller of this in the western states. Have had people fly into Reno from other states for my restorations.

Other people have tried to copy but so far they haven't been able to succeed or have the passion and talent to continue to compete. Word of mouth is getting around and my stuff sells before the potential buyer even arrives to look at it about 90% of the time time.

All I need is one sale a month to equal close to my pension. My best month was 8 in one month. Plus I do repair work for other owners that can be pretty lucrative as well.

Ancient Alien

UPS Vacation
Let me think here.

Close to pension on one sale. Let's say $3500 as an average. Then this is pure profit. So if you paid $1500... that would mean around a $5,000 sale.

There's only so many Big Boy or Penzoil signs leaning up against barns, driving these back roads. Can't be furniture it would be roached out in the weather. You couldn't see those from the road. Only so many old cars/trucks on the cheap. Those and motorcycles would be inside and hid as well. You can't sell old Schwinn's for $5,000.

Must be farm implements & tractors. That's something that could be restored... You don't find a lot of $1k+ items at yard sales.

What else could it be? God hates a coward but I can't be poking around folks stuff just nosing around in the back country. Maybe farm public auctions.

That has to be it... public auctions. So yes, I answered my question. The pandemic is bad news on sales.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

All I need is one sale a month to equal close to my pension. My best month was 8 in one month. Plus I do repair work for other owners that can be pretty lucrative as well.

Let's assume that your pension is $3K/month. If your claim that you sold 8 in one month is true, are you seriously telling us that your "hobby" made you $24K in one month?

cachmeifucan

buy within a 50 mile radius at moving, garage, estate sales which we love going to anyway. the great thing is the word has spread that we do this and people contact us and either give us the items or trade in their old stuff to buy one of our restorations.

I would practically do this for free it is so much fun.
I really want my furniture restored it's a bedroom dresser set I was quoted 600 each for 2 large and 300 for nightstand seemed high the guy had photos and did great work I think

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I really want my furniture restored it's a bedroom dresser set I was quoted 600 each for 2 large and 300 for nightstand seemed high the guy had photos and did great work I think
Not sure if that is a good deal.I don't do furniture. I would askaround. You really can't trust yelp reviews in my opinion.do you have a local Nextdoor.com in your area? recommendations on ours are pretty accurate .

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
This covid-19 is bad and good for business at the same time. did an inventory and we have 18 units ready to sell.right now no one is buying or afraid to come look and have 11 projects to work on. so I'll be as busy as i want for rest of summer.

expecting to get more deals. this month I picked up 6 so far and 3 of them were free. people just wanted to get rid of them. easy money there.

this is a heck of a lot of fun.just took a hobby and it turned into extra money. last 3 years have been averaging about $80 an hour and that's counting everything. time spent picking up projects ,time refurbishing , time showing people.usually first person that looks buys and for an extra $50 we will deliver.

I tell people I'm retired from UPS and that seems like a good selling point.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
This covid-19 is bad and good for business at the same time. did an inventory and we have 18 units ready to sell.right now no one is buying or afraid to come look and have 11 projects to work on. so I'll be as busy as i want for rest of summer.

expecting to get more deals. this month I picked up 6 so far and 3 of them were free. people just wanted to get rid of them. easy money there.

this is a heck of a lot of fun.just took a hobby and it turned into extra money. last 3 years have been averaging about $80 an hour and that's counting everything. time spent picking up projects ,time refurbishing , time showing people.usually first person that looks buys and for an extra $50 we will deliver.

I tell people I'm retired from UPS and that seems like a good selling point.

How many times are you going to tell this story