My pickup

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
No, no, no, no. If the shipper hands you the packages and tells you that he is all set for the day you close out the pickup within the +/- 15 window at your current location. You do not have to drive back there just to satisfy a metric.
So you're saying you shouldn't drive back there just to satisfy a metric. Instead you should falsify records by stop completing a pickup when you're not actually there to satisfy a metric.

And when a customer calls in to complain you missed their pickup and the GPS shows you didn't go by there at their pickup time and instead closed it out at a different location..... ya, that will go well.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
No, no, no, no. If the shipper hands you the packages and tells you that he is all set for the day you close out the pickup within the +/- 15 window at your current location. You do not have to drive back there just to satisfy a metric.
I was accused once of completing a pickup while off area. New center manager proceded to read me the riot act because I showed up on some report. I knew good and well I was there when I completed the stop. When I told him to check telematics as to where I was, he got quiet. Turns out I was there, but showed up on a report for no reason.
To this day, I will never call a pickup or stop complete off area no matter how much time it would save me. Following these ignorant rules just adds to my bank account.

JL 0513

Often, I show up to a p/u (as a cover driver) right at the scheduled time stated on DIAD. Customer says wow, you're late (or early) today.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I would have closed the pickup then and there.
You scanned the end of day, it's not like you closed it out with no packages.
If my center manager was being a dick, I'd stop complete the pickup in the time window.
If again my center manager asked me about the GPS discrepancy, the owner brought the packages TO ME WITH END OF DAY.
Which is all true.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I have a UPS pickup everyday for a small business I run. I don't ship a ton but to make a long story short and get to my question:

Since I moved locations about 7-8 months ago the driver who is a super nice guy delivers my area in the early afternoon generally which is convenient for me (both of us I thought) because if I have my boxes ready early I just walk them out to his truck when he's parked across the street. Sometimes I have to leave early and it works out great.

So anyway, today he was right in front of my place at 12:30 and I was leaving the shop at 2:00 for a business appointment. I carried 5 small packages out to his truck and even already closed my shipping on the computer so I had the slip it prints out. Only today he said that he couldn't accept my packages at that time. He said that his boss told all the drivers they're not allowed to do pickups outside of the time that is in their machine under any circumstance and was very apologetic. It forced me to have to drive a few miles to at least drop off the overnight package in a box on the other side of town.

I don't want to get my driver in trouble, he is really a great guy and I've never had a problem with UPS before. Prefer you guys over FedEx but it was kind of insulting for him not to take packages that I needed shipped with the piece of paper that closes my shipping for the day and everything. Is there anything I can do about this?
Call Atlanta main office and complain. This is a 100% problem of management geeks looking and caring about computer generated reports. The driver has zero power now. It is all about these fake numbers that reflect zero in terms of service.

Wally

I like to think I'll never get fired for doing the right thing for a customer.
And I'd never make a customer make a trip to a drop box when she's standing at my truck door with her packages. That's plain stupid.
You would if maroon sups are on you case about compliance.

Wally

Nope, I wouldn't. There is no way I'd do that. I'd go over the CMs head if I had to. No way I would treat a customer that way.
The idiots over the center manager are the exact problem. Drivers flex what the do in order to service all their customers, and we get it done. These pencil pushing geeks only look at numbers on paper. They are useless.

JL 0513

So to those who said you can be disciplined for not meeting compliance windows, what would it be?

Warning letter? Give me a break. If they could discipline you for that, they could discipline you for being paid over by 30 minutes.

SafetyFirst

Center manager here said there is no excuse for not being in pickup compliance and failure to do so is a working as directed issue. Said that came straight from the district manager.

JL 0513

Center manager here said there is no excuse for not being in pickup compliance and failure to do so is a working as directed issue. Said that came straight from the district manager.

So your center doesn't have Orion (or you are not required to follow it)?

All pickups on all routes are perfectly spaced out for time?

Unusual traffic, or construction doesn't exist in your center's area?

SafetyFirst

We have Orion, we were told to break off if it meant not being in compliance. I don't agree with what they're doing at all it's retarded like every other one of their one size fits all metrics. I'm just stating what we've been told here.

Center manager said he could explain a few more miles or a lower Orion score to his boss if it meant making pickup compliance

35years

Gravy route
So your center doesn't have Orion (or you are not required to follow it)?

All pickups on all routes are perfectly spaced out for time?

Unusual traffic, or construction doesn't exist in your center's area?
Pickups do not figure into ORION trace compliance.

Drivers have received warning letters for failure to work as directed (when blowing off pickup commit times).

Our drivers have also been warned that closing out stops away from the pickup's GPS coordinates (and not physically stopping there) will be investigated as an act of dishonesty.

barnyard

KTM rider
@GiselleR if this happens again, ask the driver to take the packages and ask for his bosses phone number. Call the boss, tell him/her that you need your pick up when you need it and it is not the same time every day, so get over it.

This job would be so much easier if it were not for knuckleheaded metrics.

Hellobrown2000

I have a UPS pickup everyday for a small business I run. I don't ship a ton but to make a long story short and get to my question:

Since I moved locations about 7-8 months ago the driver who is a super nice guy delivers my area in the early afternoon generally which is convenient for me (both of us I thought) because if I have my boxes ready early I just walk them out to his truck when he's parked across the street. Sometimes I have to leave early and it works out great.

So anyway, today he was right in front of my place at 12:30 and I was leaving the shop at 2:00 for a business appointment. I carried 5 small packages out to his truck and even already closed my shipping on the computer so I had the slip it prints out. Only today he said that he couldn't accept my packages at that time. He said that his boss told all the drivers they're not allowed to do pickups outside of the time that is in their machine under any circumstance and was very apologetic. It forced me to have to drive a few miles to at least drop off the overnight package in a box on the other side of town.

I don't want to get my driver in trouble, he is really a great guy and I've never had a problem with UPS before. Prefer you guys over FedEx but it was kind of insulting for him not to take packages that I needed shipped with the piece of paper that closes my shipping for the day and everything. Is there anything I can do about this?
Is this real? Someone really had to post this?

JL 0513

Is this real? Someone really had to post this?

It's a legitimate customer complaint/concern. Too bad UPS isn't listening up at the top. Real life escapes them. We can't continue running this business purely on numbers, reports, and compliance metrics without human beings being permitted to make adjustments based on common sense.