My poor pop would be rolling in his grave!

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
No animus Burrhead in what I'm about to say, but how many people do you have dislike for that have treated you good? Point being, generally there is a reason why someone doesn't give praise to someone or something. It just works it's self out that way (most of the time).
But I really don't have as much dislike as I may have appeared. I'm thinking of one HR person right now, that I have known for almost 30 years. When she went into HR, she wasn't bad. In-fact, the others in the office were good too. Maybe almost 7-10 years ago attitudes started to appear. Then, I felt I was screwed over by two of them in the last 5 years (regarding the predesignated doctor form). BTW The predesignated doctor form is something everyone should do, but good luck with enforcing it. I had a bad time with it.
Anyway, after those last years - I did have a negative feeling towards HR. The HR office also seemed staffed differently now (less staff). The focus in HR is different now. I'm sure it's the company's focus. HR is going to focus only on subject that are required. HR was originally meant to be a sort of middleman, avoiding and solving problems if needed. Unless legally threatening, don't plan on HR being a middleman.
But yet - after I retired, I ran across someone in HR who could not have been more helpful. There were a few things that still had to be tended too after I had left, and I literally told the wife to forget it. I was gone and HR wasn't going to do a damn thing now. I was wrong, or I was lucky. But this woman helped me very much to the end, EVEN AFTER I HAD RETIRED! But the fact that is was a surprise to me, sorta says something to me, maybe not others.
Ohh Ok
Guess that clears that up

twoweeled

I can remember mgmt. driving 70 miles one way (personal vehicle) to get a ground misload to the correct center, so it could be delivered.

Now, they don't care if our NDA is late.
WTF?
I'm sitting here unknowingly nodding my head thinking back to when I lived in Mayberry or something. The good ol days? I wonder what is said in those management meetings. I'm assuming they are shorter? I assume they only talk numbers, and no more talk about service failures? I wonder if they know what a service failure is anymore.

oldngray

nowhere special
No animus Burrhead in what I'm about to say, but how many people do you have dislike for that have treated you good? Point being, generally there is a reason why someone doesn't give praise to someone or something. It just works it's self out that way (most of the time).
But I really don't have as much dislike as I may have appeared. I'm thinking of one HR person right now, that I have known for almost 30 years. When she went into HR, she wasn't bad. In-fact, the others in the office were good too. Maybe almost 7-10 years ago attitudes started to appear. Then, I felt I was screwed over by two of them in the last 5 years (regarding the predesignated doctor form). BTW The predesignated doctor form is something everyone should do, but good luck with enforcing it. I had a bad time with it.
Anyway, after those last years - I did have a negative feeling towards HR. The HR office also seemed staffed differently now (less staff). The focus in HR is different now. I'm sure it's the company's focus. HR is going to focus only on subject that are required. HR was originally meant to be a sort of middleman, avoiding and solving problems if needed. Unless legally threatening, don't plan on HR being a middleman.
But yet - after I retired, I ran across someone in HR who could not have been more helpful. There were a few things that still had to be tended too after I had left, and I literally told the wife to forget it. I was gone and HR wasn't going to do a damn thing now. I was wrong, or I was lucky. But this woman helped me very much to the end, EVEN AFTER I HAD RETIRED! But the fact that is was a surprise to me, sorta says something to me, maybe not others.

There are a few good people left in HR but not the majority. I did find one woman in HR who was very helpful but it wasn't her job to be the one helping me. She was straightening out the mistakes others in HR had made and weren't doing anything to correct or even admit their errors.

It started going downhill even before I retired. Another time I had a payroll issue and HR was too busy working on reports for their superiors to provide service to employees who are their customers.

rod

Retired 22 years

We had a small bar located about 4 blocks from the center. They served the best burgers in town. Many a break was taken there by drivers who saved their break until the end of the day. There would be drivers off work having a beer setting with drivers who had their PC's parked out front finishing their break and having a pop and a burger, NOTHING was ever said and this bar was on the route any management would have to take to get to the building. Once again one size don't fit all when it comes to UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a small bar located about 4 blocks from the center. They served the best burgers in town. Many a break was taken there by drivers who saved their break until the end of the day. There would be drivers off work having a beer setting with drivers who had their PC's parked out front finishing their break and having a pop and a burger, NOTHING was ever said and this bar was on the route any management would have to take to get to the building. Once again one size don't fit all when it comes to UPS.

The difference being that none of the drivers in your story were drinking.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm sitting here unknowingly nodding my head thinking back to when I lived in Mayberry or something. The good ol days? I wonder what is said in those management meetings. I'm assuming they are shorter? I assume they only talk numbers, and no more talk about service failures? I wonder if they know what a service failure is anymore.
I can assure you part of those numbers are service failures.
Now, how and when those service failures are reported is another topic.

rod

Retired 22 years
In this day and age of paying for driver wages, all costs are questioned.

Are you saying the drivers are better off than mid-level management? I had several center manager's tell me they were happy when us drivers got a raise because that meant they were getting one too.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Are you saying the drivers are better off than mid-level management? I had several center manager's tell me they were happy when us drivers got a raise because that meant they were getting one too.
That was in the good old days.
Now management's raises are in a daze.