My story on full electric vehicles

JL 0513

DriveInDriveOut, most Tesla's are over $100,000, except for lower range base models.

You probably shouldn't be buying a $100K car unless you're making north of $300K. Maybe less if your big priority in life is cars.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
DriveInDriveOut, most Tesla's are over $100,000, except for lower range base models.

You probably shouldn't be buying a $100K car unless you're making north of $300K. Maybe less if your big priority in life is cars.

Actually, the Model S starts around $70k. You could probably get a nicely equipped one for $85k. Not cheap, but still a lot less than $100k.

When the Model 3 comes out, after tax incentives, you will probably be able to get a well optioned model for less than $30k. That is getting down into the range of other mid-size sedans.

There is a chance of you having a premium car after all.

JL 0513

Guess you're not aware of their new model.

Well, talking about right now, Model S. Model X crossover is coming up. The model 3 is a 2018 model.

The prices have indeed come down with a wider range of outputs on the S. Even the base model at $70k is reserved for upper class earners unless you're ready to drop a years income on one.

rod

Retired 22 years
I would imagine with Government incentives and kickbacks from whoever built them for UPS they probably got them free of at least dirt cheap. I bet when it comes time to replace the batteries in them they will disappear.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Well, talking about right now, Model S. Model X crossover is coming up. The model 3 is a 2018 model.

The prices have indeed come down with a wider range of outputs on the S. Even the base model at $70k is reserved for upper class earners unless you're ready to drop a years income on one.
You don't need to be in the top 1% to own an electric vehicle like you said.

I think all the right wing radio is frying your brain.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Buy a Leaf or a Volt.

rod

Retired 22 years
Hell no. Leaf only good for local driving. Ugliest car in America. Volt is extended range but not at all interested.

Getting a 3-row crossover for my next vehicle. I have a family and like road trips.

I'm getting a 3/4 ton pickup that will probably get 13 - 15 mpg ---if I'm lucky. Screw the environment.

JL 0513

You're not the kind of consumer they're trying to appeal to

That's the thing, the appeal and usefulness of electric vehicles is minute in the market. Until they're able to go many hundreds of miles between charges, most people won't buy.

That's why I point out that you need to be doing pretty well for yourself to own one because it's usually one of 2 or more cars because it's so limiting. A Tesla owner usually owns another luxury vehicle to go further or hold more stuff.

Otherwise you have to rent a gasoline car everytime you want to take a trip.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
That's the thing, the appeal and usefulness of electric vehicles is minute in the market. Until they're able to go many hundreds of miles between charges, most people won't buy.

That's why I point out that you need to be doing pretty well for yourself to own one because it's usually one of 2 or more cars because it's so limiting. A Tesla owner usually owns another luxury vehicle to go further or hold more stuff.

How many people actually need that much range, every single day? Or even for the occasional road trip? When I was looking at getting a new vehicle I took a look at the available cars on the market, and honestly if it weren't for my student loans, I would have gotten one. I sat down and figured how many times in a year do I need to go several hundred miles in a day? Almost never. I think I figured that in the last 4 years I'd gone over estimated charge distance of a Tesla 4 times. That's it. And I'm not talking 4 total trips, I mean 4 total legs.

I will gladly take my fiancee's car when we need to go somewhere far in exchange for paying 1.50 a charge that will last me a week.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Getting a 3-row crossover for my next vehicle.
1096.gif

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

I'm too lazy to look for it, but someone recently posted on Jalopnik about a coast-to-coast trip in a Model S. They did have to plan their trip to hit Tesla Superchargers, but considering there is no cost to recharge, it became a winning proposition.

Besides that, they used the self-driving mode for much of the trip. Not bad for a $70k car.