My story on full electric vehicles

Ups probably does this for the tax benefits. About 5 years ago I worked for a different company that turned 2 vehicles into hydrogen powered...for about 6 months then switched back. Between the hydrogen refusing station and the cost of change they spent probably half a million. But the investment into clean energy saved them millions on a tax break. They had no intention of keeping them..just did the little they had to...thanks Obama
That is one of the benefits that the company brought to our attention when we got the new cars. I can only imagine the tax break on a whole fleet (30 to 40 running electric cars at a givin time) especially for two years now in california $$$$$$$$$$$$$£¢£€$$$

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
That actually sounds pretty cool. The 4cylinder generator that is. The package cars that we have only recharge by plugging them into a charging dock (which half the time doesn't happen) or brake recharging.
The ones we have plug in as well for overnight charging, the 4cyl engine is used as a backup to generate power out on area if needed.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Amazing how people were able to safely drive those hazardous manual transmissions for many years.

Yup.

That's all we had.

Manual transmissions
No power steering
Barely any heat
High step to get in
Insert key and turn to start
Open bulkhead door manually with a key
Very narrow cab
Non adjustable seats
No ventilation

And this new generation complains about a manual transmission.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
same with the feeder tractors.

cab overs
no power steering
5 speeds.
a billion miles on them, holes in the floorboards,
had to wear your winter jacket all the time in winter or night.

defrosters that were crap, no heated mirrors
, no such thing as cruise control or AC.
and loud as hell. had to put ear plugs in if you didn't want hearing damage.
and they were SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
same with the feeder tractors.

cab overs
no power steering
5 speeds.
a billion miles on them, holes in the floorboards,
had to wear your winter jacket all the time in winter or night.

defrosters that were crap, no heated mirrors
, no such thing as cruise control or AC.
and loud as hell. had to put ear plugs in if you didn't want hearing damage.
and they were SLOOOOOOOOOOOOW!
A 5 speed feeder?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
A 5 speed feeder?

Yes.

I drove an International cab over with a 5 speed, no air, no cruise, no power steering, barely any heat.

Was glad to get rid of that and move to a snub nose International.

It had less room in the cab, banged my knees on the steering column all the time, but it did have cruise, and power steering. I think it was a 9 speed.

Todays tractors, and package cars, are Cadillacs compared to what we had.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
So is about every car made now is better then the ones before

I agree but I was kind of responding to the joker who complained about UPS still having manual transmission package cars around saying they were a safety hazard.

Then again not really. UPS had about the same package cars for the last 40 years until they finally got power steering and automatics.

The looks changed a little and the shelves went from wood to metal, but they were all harsh riding, hard steering junk.

So they really only got better in the last 5 to 10 years. Before that, they never really got any better with each new model.

Gear

Parts on Order
I agree when it comes to manual transmissions.
Would be nice if they put a three point seat belt harness in them though.
There's really no excuse for us to still be driving with a lap belt.

I just a seen a package car with a lap belt/2 point seat belt yesterday. I seen it and thought, "WTF? You got to be kidding me." Walk like a penguin so you dont trip but drive this PC with a lap belt. What a joke. I think the last time I seen a 2 point seat belt was at a vintage care show. I swear we have the crappiest vehicles on the road. Not because mechs arent doing their jobs, the trucks are just worn out.

3 places to see a driver seat 2 point/lap seat belt.
1--Vintage/classic car show
2--Junk yard
3--UPS

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
I just a seen a package car with a lap belt/2 point seat belt yesterday. I seen it and thought, "WTF? You got to be kidding me." Walk like a penguin so you dont trip but drive this PC with a lap belt. What a joke. I think the last time I seen a 2 point seat belt was at a vintage care show. I swear we have the crappiest vehicles on the road. Not because mechs arent doing their jobs, the trucks are just worn out.

2--Junk yard
3--UPS

That's all we ever had. And some are still in service.

wayfair

swollen member

2--Junk yard
3--UPS

the Lap belt/2 point seat belt, was by far the easiest one to put on!!! one hand

Gear

Parts on Order
That's all we ever had. And some are still in service.

I'd be willing to bet we are the only fleet still running vehicles with a driver seat lap belt. The crack head running around town stealing scrap metal might have a lap belt, but thats not a fleet.