NBC Nightly News

542thruNthru

We had a guy get sent out with bald tires he had been writing up and them ignoring it. He had a tire blow on the freeway and demolish the car next to him. Mngmt pretty quickly got all our tires fixed after that.

It happens in the blink of a eye. 98% of drivers here don't pretrip. No room in the building or when you're driving out. So everyone would have to pull over with in the first block of the building. They don't and I don't blame them but its dangerous. Can you honestly say you pretrip every day?

Its mentioned to drivers but not drilled into us like late air and over allowed.

35years

Gravy route
71c5DtsEW-L._SL1500_.jpg

$15-$17.
Would like to see what my reading was this week after I parked it in the sun for 20 minutes.

35years

Gravy route
Baltimore had a heat index of 122 today.
I guess we were cool with a heat index of 101 today.

Temp in the back of trucks must have been 160 or more and high humidity...deadly.

Steak-Doneness-Traeger-Wood-Pellet-Grills.jpg

Last edited:

RDL

The best thing workers can do to improve his or her compensation is bargin collectively. An individual low skill worker has little to no power to negotiate a livable pay and benefits package on his own. That’s why I get irritated with people like coolslice. If there was no collective bargaining years before he was even born UPS would probably pay like fedex or even lower and he would not be enjoying the solid middle class pay and benefits he has now.

Bottom line, non union companies don’t pay people north of 36 a hour with free full insurance and a pension to deliver boxes. Yes it is a hard job but lots of people do hard jobs for a lot less at non union employers.
I don’t think coolslice’s grievance was so much with the existence of unions altogether as it was with how they serve us today. Anyone who is remotely educated on the history of unions understands that there was a time in history where they were a force of nature in improving workplace conditions. I sympathize with him on many points because I, too, feel the union’s potency has since stalled out.

You are right, though. If the Teamsters had never permeated UPS, it’s entirely inevitable that they’d pay as little or less than FedEx. I’ve been telling that for eons to people I have to explain union workshops to. It’s just that nowadays, we feel our locals extending on up to our national panel, does the bare minimum to represent us. And technically, our healthcare and pension do not come to us free of charge. That wouldn’t be a sustainable model of bizness. You can’t draw blood from a stone. Obviously we net UPS and IBT enough revenue to upkeep these bennies. But I digress, there are in fact other trade companies that pay similarly to UPS and offer similar benefits without the presence of a union in the mix. Those companies I actually find to be more ethical than even our own because they aren’t compelled by the longstanding precepts of a union to a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work like ours is.

Now, don’t get snippy and tell me I ought to go work for one of them then. It’s not that easy. Those companies are often difficult to enter into for starters. I’ve slaved for many years to make it to where I am with UPS, so it makes more sense for me to want to see improvement in the beast that has held my gaze for so long rather than cut my losses at the first sign of trouble. So, I understand coolslice’s frustration. But it’s gonna take far more than just 2 employees giving 2 shts about their working conditions. This requires systemic change and probably revolution on some scale.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
i keep an insulated camelback system strapped into the back of my seat. fill it with cold water every morning. it stays cold all day, and i take little sips between stops.

rod

Retired 22 years
Has anyone put a raw hamburger patty in the back of the truck to find how long it takes to be cooked and ready to eat?
If the back only gets to 154 degrees (according to NBC) it wouldn't be hot enough. Beef needs to be at least 165. It would however rot quick.

Brisket

Can you honestly say you pretrip every day?

Its mentioned to drivers but not drilled into us like late air and over allowed.

Yes sir I do, If I even think I will have late air, I mention it to a Sup, and they usually respond run straight air if they have no one to take a stop or two.

That pre trip saved me from a blowout down the road ( and the mechanic put more air in, and it didn’t help so they had to change the outer duallie (sp? Lol) and I was still not able to give any air away.

Still had three late and no one said a word about it.

Last edited:

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I agree brother. But...

Problem is low level elected officials (locals).

To many same complaints from people on here. Those lazy useless locals hurt us. Yes its also lazy unengaged members also but it all adds up. I don't want to just blame one side because it's never just one problem.

I agree bad low level officials suck but that does not mean we would be better off without collective bargaining... without a contract we would have benefits similar to what new supervisors have now, hell... maybe worse since they would not have to somewhat compete with union benefit packages. Hell, I am in a skilled trade and I can’t find comparable benefits, our benefits are better than the state, federal and local jobs.

I don’t think coolslice’s grievance was so much with the existence of unions altogether as it was with how they serve us today. Anyone who is remotely educated on the history of unions understands that there was a time in history where they were a force of nature in improving workplace conditions. I sympathize with him on many points because I, too, feel the union’s potency has since stalled out.

You are right, though. If the Teamsters had never permeated UPS, it’s entirely inevitable that they’d pay as little or less than FedEx. I’ve been telling that for eons to people I have to explain union workshops to. It’s just that nowadays, we feel our locals extending on up to our national panel, does the bare minimum to represent us. And technically, our healthcare and pension do not come to us free of charge. That wouldn’t be a sustainable model of bizness. You can’t draw blood from a stone. Obviously we net UPS and IBT enough revenue to upkeep these bennies. But I digress, there are in fact other trade companies that pay similarly to UPS and offer similar benefits without the presence of a union in the mix. Those companies I actually find to be more ethical than even our own because they aren’t compelled by the longstanding precepts of a union to a fair day’s pay for a fair day’s work like ours is.

Now, don’t get snippy and tell me I ought to go work for one of them then. It’s not that easy. Those companies are often difficult to enter into for starters. I’ve slaved for many years to make it to where I am with UPS, so it makes more sense for me to want to see improvement in the beast that has held my gaze for so long rather than cut my losses at the first sign of trouble. So, I understand coolslice’s frustration. But it’s gonna take far more than just 2 employees giving 2 shts about their working conditions. This requires systemic change and probably revolution on some scale.

It seemed to me coolslice is either a freeloader or would love to be one. He should go work at a union free fed ex ground contractor, same job without those awful unions in his pocket.

Anyway,

Sure, there are jobs that pay similar pay with good benefits as a top rate driver without a union but all the ones I know are skilled positions, you need years of experience to get those jobs. Please tell me what non union company pays people 36+ a hour to deliver packages. Even non union truck drivers with a CDL A don’t make a guaranteed 36.. high 20s at most or they are working by the mile and every driver I have ever met hates that crap.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Aww, how cute. Another union ankle grabber that actually believes the union wipes his ass just like his mommy. You probably also think UPS has people lined up at the door to work for the company because the union takes such good care of us. Maybe you need to pull your head out of your ass and look at the type of employees UPS is having to hire/ settle for now. It is no longer a sought after job, and that's because the union has sold us out repeatedly. Social media has revealed what a :censored2:ty job it actually is. Boy, 22.4's really have it made. Lower pay, longer top-outs, working weekends, you name it. Thanks, Teamsters. Besides, I never said UPS pays us because they want to, I said it's because they have to if they want to keep people there any length of time and have employees that give a quarter of a friend* about their job.

How much do they need to pay for employees to give a “quarter of a friend* about their job” ?