NBC Nightly News

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
I don't know how you have it where you're at, but where I'm at, wait time to be a driver is as soon as you're foolish enough to sign the intent sheet, which could be your first day. Coverage drivers make the same as route drivers where I'm at, and 22.4's are on a lower pay scale. The union doesn't provide me with jack. I work my ass off for what I make, and the union takes around $1200 a year of it. People forget the fact that we make what we do because we essentially work a job and a half and make a ton of money for the company. They can't make that money hiring bums that work for a month and quit. Trust me, if UPS were losing money by paying our wage and benefits, then we wouldn't get either. The union would be powerless to stop it. Give yourself the credit, not the corrupt fat cats at the union.

Lol,
You would be making 17 dollars a hour driving a :censored2:ing rental truck for amazon if it was not for collective bargaining!

Some of you guys have no idea what people in the real world in non union jobs pay for benefits. I have friends that work in skilled jobs paying 200-300 hundred a week for insurance that sucks compared to ours. Pension.... lol it’s called gtfo when you get old and slow down

RDL

Lol,
You would be making 17 dollars a hour driving a :censored2:ing rental truck for amazon if it was not for collective bargaining!

Some of you guys have no idea what people in the real world in non union jobs pay for benefits. I have friends that work in skilled jobs paying 200-300 hundred a week for insurance that sucks compared to ours. Pension.... lol it’s called gtfo when you get old and slow down
What’s shiiet about that is this is the quality of employment Americans have come to accept from their prospectors. If we aren’t a third-world country yet, we aren’t far from it. Everything you’ve described is thoroughly unethical and very lazily regulated.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A Center fifty miles South of mine had six drivers call in because of heat and one of them took himself out of service on area and checked into a motel. My Center has been working everybody with a DOT card the last two weeks, two of our supervisors were sent down to try to help that other Center the last two days. The heat index has been at least a 100 most of the week and my heaviest day was Friday with 178 stops. I'm used to working in Summer heat, when I started driving every vehicle had manual steering and brakes and we wore long pants year round. High stop counts due to Prime Day, lousy ventilation in package cars, and personal health habits are the real culprits to me. I don't see how air conditioning would make much of a difference.

A Center fifty miles South of mine had six drivers call in because of heat and one of them took himself out of service on area and checked into a motel. My Center has been working everybody with a DOT card the last two weeks, two of of supervisors were sent down to try to help that other Center the last two days. The heat index has been at least a 100 most of the week and my heaviest day was Friday with 178 stops. I'm used to working in Summer heat, when I started driving every vehicle had manual steering and brakes and we wore long pants year round. High stop counts due to Prime Day, lousy ventilation in package cars, and personal health habits are the real culprits to me, I don't see how air conditioning would make much of a difference.
Less work and more ventilation?

RDL

A Center fifty miles South of mine had six drivers call in because of heat and one of them took himself out of service on area and checked into a motel. My Center has been working everybody with a DOT card the last two weeks, two of of supervisors were sent down to try to help that other Center the last two days. The heat index has been at least a 100 most of the week and my heaviest day was Friday with 178 stops. I'm used to working in Summer heat, when I started driving every vehicle had manual steering and brakes and we wore long pants year round. High stop counts due to Prime Day, lousy ventilation in package cars, and personal health habits are the real culprits to me, I don't see how air conditioning would make much of a difference.
Are you in the TX, NM, OK, AR, LA area?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Are you in the TX, NM, OK, AR, LA area?
Atlanta, its always hot as Hell this time of the year. Summer heat is nothing new to me. My family ran a cattle/hay business at one time, I would go pick up a couple thousand bales of hay off the ground on my weekends this time of the year. You have to take care of yourself in extreme conditions.

IworkWhatdoUdo??

Unfortunately, as I understand the 'want' to air condition the trucks, I don't see the point. I live in an area that experiences both extremes. I drive with the doors open. In the winter, temperature hovering around -20 degrees. We stop, deliver package, get in the truck, and keep moving. In that time, the temperature of the cab of that truck has fallen so much, that you may as well not had any heat at all... (assuming that your POS truck had heat to begin with). Works the same way with AC.

I believe, that we should heat/air condition the cargo hold of the truck. That's what the company should be focused on. The company wants to say that we spend minimal amount of time in the back, I disagree. When I have to search for a piece of :censored2: package in 150+ or -20 degree truck, that's what takes the most toll out of me. And that's the door that's opened the least... Time wise.

And at the very least, if the company wants to boast that they allow us the time to take extra breaks in the extreme temps, it'll be nice to hang out in the climate control cargo area of our POS trucks

MAKAVELI

Unfortunately, as I understand the 'want' to air condition the trucks, I don't see the point. I live in an area that experiences both extremes. I drive with the doors open. In the winter, temperature hovering around -20 degrees. We stop, deliver package, get in the truck, and keep moving. In that time, the temperature of the cab of that truck has fallen so much, that you may as well not had any heat at all... (assuming that your POS truck had heat to begin with). Works the same way with AC.

I believe, that we should heat/air condition the cargo hold of the truck. That's what the company should be focused on. The company wants to say that we spend minimal amount of time in the back, I disagree. When I have to search for a piece of :censored2: package in 150+ or -20 degree truck, that's what takes the most toll out of me. And that's the door that's opened the least... Time wise.

And at the very least, if the company wants to boast that they allow us the time to take extra breaks in the extreme temps, it'll be nice to hang out in the climate control cargo area of our POS trucks
Pretty sure you need heat to keep the windshield defrosted. An obvious safety hazard.

Redtag

Part on order, ok to drive
What’s shiiet about that is this is the quality of employment Americans have come to accept from their prospectors. If we aren’t a third-world country yet, we aren’t far from it. Everything you’ve described is thoroughly unethical and very lazily regulated.

The best thing workers can do to improve his or her compensation is bargin collectively. An individual low skill worker has little to no power to negotiate a livable pay and benefits package on his own. That’s why I get irritated with people like coolslice. If there was no collective bargaining years before he was even born UPS would probably pay like fedex or even lower and he would not be enjoying the solid middle class pay and benefits he has now.

Bottom line, non union companies don’t pay people north of 36 a hour with free full insurance and a pension to deliver boxes. Yes it is a hard job but lots of people do hard jobs for a lot less at non union employers.

542thruNthru

The best thing workers can do to improve his or her compensation is bargin collectively. An individual low skill worker has little to no power to negotiate a livable pay and benefits package on his own. That’s why I get irritated with people like coolslice. If there was no collective bargaining years before he was even born UPS would probably pay like fedex or even lower and he would not be enjoying the solid middle class pay and benefits he has now.

Bottom line, non union companies don’t pay people north of 36 a hour with free full insurance and a pension to deliver boxes. Yes it is a hard job but lots of people do hard jobs for a lot less at non union employers.

I agree brother. But...

Problem is low level elected officials (locals).

To many same complaints from people on here. Those lazy useless locals hurt us. Yes its also lazy unengaged members also but it all adds up. I don't want to just blame one side because it's never just one problem.

542thruNthru

I hate that bs. Our safety is literally a non priority at UPS. From my first day on the preload when I was directed to pull a 125 lb box by myself "hurry quick before it gets passed the rollers"
To this past Tuesday when I wrote up the front tires for being worn. Today still no response in the DVIR, same dangerous donuts full of cracks and basically bald. On a rural route, all rough dirt roads that I'm covering.
I'm sure everybody else on BC sees and goes through the same crap at their building

Got this from a buddy that thought the same way you did. Not getting on you but thought it was interesting it happened right after we talked about it.

Stay safe... always..... brother.

IMG_7018.jpg

542thruNthru

Wtf? They didn't bother to actually retread the tire? They actually thought they would be sending him out like that?!

Didn't get the details exactly. All he told me was he looked at it and didn't want to deal with going to the shop and argue about needing air help.

It's that one time... then boom it happens

KoennenTiger

Didn't get the details exactly. All he told me was he looked at it and didn't want to deal with going to the shop and argue about needing air help.

It's that one time... then boom it happens

We had a guy get sent out with bald tires he had been writing up and them ignoring it. He had a tire blow on the freeway and demolish the car next to him. Mngmt pretty quickly got all our tires fixed after that.