Need advice: medical issues and sup nonsense

lonelydark

Just a heads up this is a bit long, so apologies but I could really use the advice. A little background: For the past couple of weeks I've missed some days of work (I work day shift) due to medical issues. Namely, docs thought I might have cancer. Had to go in for multiple tests and appointments, one of which was for financial assistance with the medical stuff because I haven't been at UPS a year yet and so don't have the health insurance, and I don't make a lot of money to pay for healthcare on my own via health marketplace. I informed sup of everything, was told to take the days I needed to get my appointments and health sorted out and that everything would be explained to management and it was no big deal etc.

Yesterday I went to work as normal, felt fine, left work and a few hours later I went out to a restaurant and fainted. Was taken to ER and they ran some tests, found the cause, and I was given a prescription and instructions to take it easy for a day. So I called in to work today and texted sup as a courtesy (which I've always done) and explained the issue.

Cut to tonight, I just got a text from sup stating that my preload manager is concerned with "all of my absences" and that they can't keep "moving other people around to accommodate me". And that it's getting to be warmer out and the "building is going to be hotter" and I need to think about if I am capable of still working for UPS. And that if my absences continue they'll have to do a fit for duty exam.

I feel completely blindsided. It's not as if I've been taking days off to :censored2: off. I've been going to doctors appointments trying to get this stuff taken care of. As for moving other people around to accommodate me, that was literally one time right after I had my biopsy so I asked to be moved to a less intense work area so I didn't tear the incision open, as I didn't want to miss any more work. And as it happened where I was scheduled to work was overstaffed and I would have been moved to the other area anyway. And heat has never been an issue for me. I've never complained about it and it's not a contributing factor to what's been going on with me.

I feel like I should go into work early and talk to the preload manager and explain things. My question is- should I? And how should I go about it? I literally just got the call today for my biopsy results- no cancer. And the prescription I got will take care of the root issue behind the fainting. So basically I've got a clean bill of health and can finally go back to work as normal and my sup messages me with this. Any advice would be appreciated. Again, sorry for the long post.

Brisket

When will you have a year in? I believe they are well within their right to have you sent for the fit for duty exam. Can't have you fainting around the line. You could get hurt or God forbid worse.

I would have said try FMLA but I don't think you have been there long enough yet. Someone will correct this if anything is not true.

lonelydark

Thanks for the replies. I'll definitely be saving the text and not telling management :censored2: from now on. I'm going to go in early and ask my stewards advice and go from there.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Just a heads up this is a bit long, so apologies but I could really use the advice. A little background: For the past couple of weeks I've missed some days of work (I work day shift) due to medical issues. Namely, docs thought I might have cancer. Had to go in for multiple tests and appointments, one of which was for financial assistance with the medical stuff because I haven't been at UPS a year yet and so don't have the health insurance, and I don't make a lot of money to pay for healthcare on my own via health marketplace. I informed sup of everything, was told to take the days I needed to get my appointments and health sorted out and that everything would be explained to management and it was no big deal etc.

Yesterday I went to work as normal, felt fine, left work and a few hours later I went out to a restaurant and fainted. Was taken to ER and they ran some tests, found the cause, and I was given a prescription and instructions to take it easy for a day. So I called in to work today and texted sup as a courtesy (which I've always done) and explained the issue.

Cut to tonight, I just got a text from sup stating that my preload manager is concerned with "all of my absences" and that they can't keep "moving other people around to accommodate me". And that it's getting to be warmer out and the "building is going to be hotter" and I need to think about if I am capable of still working for UPS. And that if my absences continue they'll have to do a fit for duty exam.

I feel completely blindsided. It's not as if I've been taking days off to :censored2: off. I've been going to doctors appointments trying to get this stuff taken care of. As for moving other people around to accommodate me, that was literally one time right after I had my biopsy so I asked to be moved to a less intense work area so I didn't tear the incision open, as I didn't want to miss any more work. And as it happened where I was scheduled to work was overstaffed and I would have been moved to the other area anyway. And heat has never been an issue for me. I've never complained about it and it's not a contributing factor to what's been going on with me.

I feel like I should go into work early and talk to the preload manager and explain things. My question is- should I? And how should I go about it? I literally just got the call today for my biopsy results- no cancer. And the prescription I got will take care of the root issue behind the fainting. So basically I've got a clean bill of health and can finally go back to work as normal and my sup messages me with this. Any advice would be appreciated. Again, sorry for the long post.

First.
Congratulations on the good news of no cancer.
And just to play devils advocate. Any manager would be concerned about being able to properly staff his location. They have nimbers they must meet also regardless of what you have going on, and to me would be derelict in their duty if they didn't inquiry as to your ability to still do the job. From a physical standpoint and psychological standpoint if you did have cancer. Every one (sic) is replaceable out there and at some point most will be replaced. Don't take it personally they have to staff and know who will be there and who won't