Need advice please

I'm relatively new to the working world because I mostly depended on my disability check. But I sort of know the ins and outs. My boyfriend and I started working at UPS about the same time. Today he was fired for supposedly not coming in to work. He missed about 5 days within a month due to medical reasons. Almost all had a doctor's excuse. He just go fired today. Now there's a procedure that our whole facility is supposed to go by. 1) verbal warning.. 2) a suspension without pay 3) intent to fire and 4) then you are fired. Well he was given no warning. No suspension and definitely no notice of termination.
Even if he was warned, the rest never did happen. I can't help but feel like he can dispute this decision. Shoot.. even I have called out more than he has and haven't been warned or terminated yet. All of mine were for medical reasons as well. Apparently the union steward was present for the termination and didn't do anything. Do you know any action that he or I can take? Or is this pretty much permanent.

542thruNthru

I'm relatively new to the working world because I mostly depended on my disability check. But I sort of know the ins and outs. My boyfriend and I started working at UPS about the same time. Today he was fired for supposedly not coming in to work. He missed about 5 days within a month due to medical reasons. Almost all had a doctor's excuse. He just go fired today. Now there's a procedure that our whole facility is supposed to go by. 1) verbal warning.. 2) a suspension without pay 3) intent to fire and 4) then you are fired. Well he was given no warning. No suspension and definitely no notice of termination.
Even if he was warned, the rest never did happen. I can't help but feel like he can dispute this decision. Shoot.. even I have called out more than he has and haven't been warned or terminated yet. All of mine were for medical reasons as well. Apparently the union steward was present for the termination and didn't do anything. Do you know any action that he or I can take? Or is this pretty much permanent.

How new?

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Have you worked at UPS long enough to acquire sick days? I’ve been here 20 years and never have missed 5 days. What’s with all the medical appointments and disability checks?
🧔✊

He was at his 29th day.. I'm already at my forty day mark. So relatively new I guess. But I've seen others call out far more and never get fired who had started when I started. I wasn't there so I don't know what the union rep said. But I mean. If we started about a week apart from each other with same amount of call ins.. I don't get why he's being fired and I'm not when I know I've had more call ins then he did.

He was at his 29th day.. I'm already at my forty day mark. So relatively new I guess. But I've seen others call out far more and never get fired who had started when I started. I wasn't there so I don't know what the union rep said. But I mean. If we started about a week apart from each other with same amount of call ins.. I don't get why he's being fired and I'm not when I know I've had more call ins then he did.
When you were trying to make your 30 days you should have zero days off and definitely not 5 days off..
Is this qualified, he is now done

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
He is being fired because he missed 5 days out of 29...don’t you think that’s an issue?
What’s his medical issue?
🧔✊

542thruNthru

Sounds like he didn't pass probation. So they can let him go if they want. He has no recourse.

If you can't make it to work because of so many medical reasons. Then I suggest finding a job that can better accommodate you. This doesn't seem like the one.

Have you worked at UPS long enough to acquire sick days? I’ve been here 20 years and never have missed 5 days. What’s with all the medical appointments and disability checks?
🧔✊
For one I have epilepsy and diabetes. But you can't make it on a disability check. And I'm trying to not let my health keep me back. It just so happened I had a bad flare up with my seizures in the last month. H
He is being fired because he missed 5 days out of 29...don’t you think that’s an issue?
What’s his medical issue?
🧔✊
Diverticulosis.. a flare up that was causing gastro problems. I'm only asking for opinions. Yes I think it's cause for concern but I also know it seems a little unjust at the same time. What I don't get is why aren't they following their own protocol. That protocol applies to both new hires AND senior hires. At our facility anyways.

Up In Smoke

For one I have epilepsy and diabetes. But you can't make it on a disability check. And I'm trying to not let my health keep me back. It just so happened I had a bad flare up with my seizures in the last month. H

Diverticulosis.. a flare up that was causing gastro problems. I'm only asking for opinions. Yes I think it's cause for concern but I also know it seems a little unjust at the same time. What I don't get is why aren't they following their own protocol. That protocol applies to both new hires AND senior hires. At our facility anyways.
Prior to seniority in most states he would be considered an "at will employee", one can be discharged for any or no reason at all.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD

I’m sorry for your health issues. The truth is you and bf are already on managements radar and you haven’t even cracked 40 days. Your good as gone and will soon be exiting the door as well. I’m sorry for being honest
@MECH-lift has spoken
🧔✊

🧔✊
For one I have epilepsy and diabetes. But you can't make it on a disability check. And I'm trying to not let my health keep me back. It just so happen
Well congrats for you. Unfortunately some people just aren't that exceptional. I'm sorry that neither of us measure up to you. But seriously. I get it is a lot for a new hire. And try to look past your own spectacular record. Because life actually happens to other people who have family emergencies, health dilemmas, or whatever that happen to them at really bad times. Im tired of repeating my question again an again. All I'm saying is there was no protocol followed. Others have had more call outs then him and I put together from when we first started and are still there. As I have said that protocol is to be followed by both NEW.. AND SENIOR hires. Which wasn't. I'm only just asking advice or suggestions. Not judgmental criticism. But it's whatever. I thank those for their help and replies. It was just bad timing for both of our health to spiral down. I guess he is the one who gets the boot. Thanks everyone

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m sorry for your health issues. The truth is you and bf are already on managements radar and you haven’t even cracked 40 days. Your good as gone and will soon be exiting the door as well. I’m sorry for being honest
@MECH-lift has spoken
🧔✊
Yeah I already knew I was on radar already. I was actually given a warning as to where he wasn't. But I appreciate your help and honest opinions.

542thruNthru

Where are you? What local are you?

While on probation you are not considered a employee till you make seniority and pass your probation. The company saw what the future held and decided to part ways.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
For one I have epilepsy and diabetes. But you can't make it on a disability check. And I'm trying to not let my health keep me back. It just so happen

Well congrats for you. Unfortunately some people just aren't that exceptional. I'm sorry that neither of us measure up to you. But seriously. I get it is a lot for a new hire. And try to look past your own spectacular record. Because life actually happens to other people who have family emergencies, health dilemmas, or whatever that happen to them at really bad times. Im tired of repeating my question again an again. All I'm saying is there was no protocol followed. Others have had more call outs then him and I put together from when we first started and are still there. As I have said that protocol is to be followed by both NEW.. AND SENIOR hires. Which wasn't. I'm only just asking advice or suggestions. Not judgmental criticism. But it's whatever. I thank those for their help and replies. It was just bad timing for both of our health to spiral down. I guess he is the one who gets the boot. Thanks everyone
What don’t you understand? The “protocol” is called a contract, agreed to by the company and the union, which your unhealthy boyfriend doesn’t yet belong to, therefore, he doesn’t get to use the contractual language benefited to people that pay dues and are in the union. Capece?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

What’s your disibility and why can’t boyfriend make it to work

What don’t you understand? The “protocol” is called a contract, agreed to by the company and the union, which your unhealthy boyfriend doesn’t yet belong to, therefore, he doesn’t get to use the contractual language benefited to people that pay dues and are in the union. Capece?
Gotcha and that's all anyone had to say. Thank you.
Guess you would say that about anyone who's been hospitalized then huh? Good going bruh. I'm beginning to think FedEx is underated.

Last edited by a moderator:

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You’re management team saw that he was worthless so they cut him loose before his 30 days were up
You have no recourse what don’t you understand about this?