Need an excuse....

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
Peak is quite easy, other then hearing all the hipe about it. I mean, you go without all that overtime pay just because your affraid of a little bit more work.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
During peak a death certificate would come in handy. They may even question that!

In 30 years with UPS I have had off for 3 peak seasons. One was for the birth of my daughter and used FMLA.
The other two I was off on workers compensation.

Indecisi0n

(was being sarcastic) I just keep hearing all these horror stories. I don't know what to expect. They tell me my truck is going to be blown out like crazy. They say I will literally be swimming on packages in the PC to find stuff. haha. I guess it will be a learning experience.

UPSGUY72

Peak is just like any other day you deliver packages. It actually easier than a normal day once you pick up your helper they do most of the leg work for you. I don't get out of the car once I get a helper unless there are multiple stops that can be delivered from one park location.

They say to sort while your helper is delivering packages I don't. I pull over take 5 minutes and sort the next 30 or more stops depending on shelf space I have open. It saves a lot of time and energy.

Indecisi0n

Peak is just like any other day you deliver packages. It actually easier than a normal day once you pick up your helper they do most of the leg work for you. I don't get out of the car once I get a helper unless there are multiple stops that can be delivered from one park location.

They say to sort while your helper is delivering packages I don't. I pull over take 5 minutes and sort the next 30 or more stops depending on shelf space I have open. It saves a lot of time and energy.

When i had my helper i use to sort while he would run packages. The area i am in the houses are far from the street so i have time to find a few next stops and set them up but like you said at one point i stop for about 10-15 mins and sort the entire truck. After the entire truck is sorted and misloads are reported then i start to del with the helper.

Backlasher

Stronger, Faster, Browner
Just tell em you need the time for online christmas shopping and thereby increasing your centers volumn.

Tell em it's your way of contributing to increaseing UPS earnings and decreasing cost in payrole.

It's for the benifit of UPS.

It's all about salespitch. Works every time. LoL.

Indecisi0n

Just tell em you need the time for online christmas shopping and thereby increasing your centers volumn.

Tell em it's your way of contributing to increaseing UPS earnings and decreasing cost in payrole.

It's for the benifit of UPS.

It's all about salespitch. Works every time. LoL.

They would rather send home drivers at top rate and work me to death. Cheap labor rules.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I agree with Over - quit.

We are an oraganization interdepentent on each other to perform our jobs.

We also develop opinions of our coworkers based on their overt actions.
The desire to call-out with no valid reason helps others develop opinion regarding integrety and reliability.

You should never need an excuse.
Tell the truth and move on.

Every center / terminal / operation employs "that person" who calls in sick Friday / Monday - eventually, no one bothers asking "that person" if they are feeling better.

"That person" has more important things to do than be at work.
"That person" doesn't care when I need to work longer to cover.

I can only wonder - Are you "that person" or if you are quickly traveling the route to be "that person."

Indecisi0n

I agree with Over - quit.

We are an oraganization interdepentent on each other to perform our jobs.

We also develop opinions of our coworkers based on their overt actions.
The desire to call-out with no valid reason helps others develop opinion regarding integrety and reliability.

You should never need an excuse.
Tell the truth and move on.

Every center / terminal / operation employs "that person" who calls in sick Friday / Monday - eventually, no one bothers asking "that person" if they are feeling better.

"That person" has more important things to do than be at work.
"That person" doesn't care when I need to work longer to cover.

I can only wonder - Are you "that person" or if you are quickly traveling the route to be "that person."

Will never be "that person." Although i do realize with how things are ran right now how people become "those people." I use to get bothered when these high seniority guys would go home and then other routes get blown out but i see the other side of it. These drivers are getting worked to the bones and where i agree going home is not a solution sometimes you just throw your hands up and want to go home and relax. Again my opinion doesn't mean much here but i think the union is slacking big time. UPS employees work too damn hard to not to be rightfully represented.

UPSGUY72

They would rather send home drivers at top rate and work me to death. Cheap labor rules.

They are asking the those driver if they want the day off and they are agreeing to it. If those drivers wanted to work they could press the issue and you could be the one not working as they would have to start laying people off from the bottom up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Will never be "that person." Although i do realize with how things are ran right now how people become "those people." I use to get bothered when these high seniority guys would go home and then other routes get blown out but i see the other side of it. These drivers are getting worked to the bones and where i agree going home is not a solution sometimes you just throw your hands up and want to go home and relax. Again my opinion doesn't mean much here but i think the union is slacking big time. UPS employees work too damn hard to not to be rightfully represented.

The union is dealing with this. Drivers who take "dead days" do not generate contributions to the pension which is why some pension plans are increasing the minimum hours needed for a year of pension credit to 2000.

Indecisi0n

They are asking the those driver if they want the day off and they are agreeing to it. If those drivers wanted to work they could press the issue and you could be the one not working as they would have to start laying people off from the bottom up.

I know they are agreeing to it but we have to ask ourselves why are they agreeing to it? Maybe because they are in physical pain from this place. When i first started and was told to call in on mondays to see if i was working i would drag my @$$ in hoping to be told to go home. At some point you just don't care about the money anymore. My body has since adjusted. Knowing in my mind you guys have been doing this for YEARS makes me tired just thinking about it. So i am sure you guys at some point want to go home regardless of the pay loss. This is where the Union needs to step in. Is it a tough job? YES but should it be as tough as they are making it? NO. People are getting hurt/killed and for nothing more than corp greed. We need to take a stand but like they say, power in numbers.

Indecisi0n

The union is dealing with this. Drivers who take "dead days" do not generate contributions to the pension which is why some pension plans are increasing the minimum hours needed for a year of pension credit to 2000.

Most people don't think about tomorrow. They go into work and feel pain that day and say to themselves "if they ask me to go home i am out of here."

UPSGUY72

I know they are agreeing to it but we have to ask ourselves why are they agreeing to it? Maybe because they are in physical pain from this place. When i first started and was told to call in on mondays to see if i was working i would drag my @$$ in hoping to be told to go home. At some point you just don't care about the money anymore. My body has since adjusted. Knowing in my mind you guys have been doing this for YEARS makes me tired just thinking about it. So i am sure you guys at some point want to go home regardless of the pay loss. This is where the Union needs to step in. Is it a tough job? YES but should it be as tough as they are making it? NO. People are getting hurt/killed and for nothing more than corp greed. We need to take a stand but like they say, power in numbers.

They are agreeing to it because they can afford to have a day off and don't mind it. This isn't a tough job. Drivers make it a lot harder than it is.