Need Drivers

Rain Shield

My building has posted flyers everywhere begging for drivers. I know it is a tough job. I truly believe this is a reflection of our society. Everybody wants to complain, but they do not want to work for anything. Our part-timers seem to only want to work about 3 days a week. Just enough for gas, cell phone, and probably some weed.

I believe we are seeing first hand just how lazy the work force is here in the USA.

I am also sick of hearing our Union and others preach about a living wage. It is here at UPS. Put on your big boy pants and go get it.

BigBeef42

What region? Im wondering too.

When i hear of people walking in off the street and going fulltime it makes me vomit. cruel world

Sent using USPS

Rain Shield

Southern Region. I heard a couple of weeks ago that one building in the region is hiring 60 Feeder Drivers and are having to go to the street. Also know that another building needs 30 feeder drivers and will have to go to the street.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
To be completely honest, if someone doesn't go package I don't blame them. That's just me, money is just green paper to me. I could live in a card board box and be happy. Package is just a :censored2: job, other than the money everything about it is :censored2:ty. Hell why be miserable with money, when you can be happy without it? I'm in feeders so I don't have to worry about that :censored2: but honestly friend package.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
What region? Im wondering too.

When i hear of people walking in off the street and going fulltime it makes me vomit. cruel world

Sent using USPS

I don't understand this either. If the union really cared, why not demand more inside jobs?

S

selfcancelsignal

It certainly helps you learn how the whole operation works. I worked the preload for the minimum 6 months & the local sort a couple of times before going FT PC driving. We have a guy who just started off the street a few weeks ago that keeps leaving the building without all of his bulk volume for the straight truck portion of his training route, having late air, & etc. He should probably be DQ'd, but I'm sure they'll qualify him as long as he keeps showing up. His detail orientation is pure rubbish.

Sent while driving from my flip phone via T9 word.

I don't understand this either. If the union really cared, why not demand more inside jobs?
Where I'm at people think they want the job. Once they get it and see what it entails they can't believe it and don't want it.

I've seen some people qualify in the last year that are very bad. Tons of over fifty year old men just starting out from the bottom. It looks like a sad workforce.

Notretiredyet

Been sitting back watching the same thing happen in this area. We have a 75% failure rate for new drivers and they've gone thru most of the inside people who've been willing to try. Can't imagine trying to qualify with the way the numbers are now. We have people doing 22+ stops per hour running more than an hour over allowed. How's a new guy got a chance to beat that route following the methods. Word gets around fast in the hub it's not worth the effort to try.

Pooter

Going FT means 4 year progression, 10+ hour days, swing driving for 5+ years (varies) before getting a bid route. You will get abused being low seniority. Meh.

I can see why PTs don't jump on the FT wagon.

brownrod

I hated this job when I started. But I could see the future. Our center services at least 5 cities and a huge rural area. Although I started on a bulk city business route, I could see that someday in the future I'd be able to deliver nice rural routes and resi routes. I would never be a UPS driver in an urban center that services one large city. That would suck. I need to somewhat enjoy what I'm doing.

Rain Shield

Like I said, the job is tough. I am just saying that it looks like UPS is a window to see how sorry the labor workforce is in our country. We have part-timers with 50 plus absences, and just as many lates per year. No call no shows everyday. Nothing but a verbal. Never a warning letter for attendance. They usualy send them a 48 hour notice after they have not heard from them in two weeks. Heck, some show back up for work.

The sorts are over staffed by about 30% just to get enough bodies in the building. It is nuts. There are a few high seniority part-timers there every day, but the vast majority live with Momma, and only need enough to buy what they want, not what they need.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I hated this job when I started. But I could see the future. Our center services at least 5 cities and a huge rural area. Although I started on a bulk city business route, I could see that someday in the future I'd be able to deliver nice rural routes and resi routes. I would never be a UPS driver in an urban center that services one large city. That would suck. I need to somewhat enjoy what I'm doing.
Unfortunately they have screwed up even the sweetest rural routes with their ridiculous time allowances. A route you used.to be able to run an hour early without brewking a sweat now has you scrambling just to run an hour late. I know, its their numbers blah blah blah but I don't like being bugged for something I can't control.