Need Help From Package Car Drivers!

B

Bottom Feeder

Flower...take a deep breath first!! Ok, UPS sent him to driving school for a week and put him up at a hotel for that week. They have lots of money invested in him, they will let him drive again. Every driver has problems with DIAD at first this is very common. He will get lots of time to drive real soon, the reason he hasn't worked for a while is they don't need him. Summer vacations are about to kick in and he will be working. He has 90 business days to get his 30 days in to make it as a driver. When in doubt with DIAD call your sup.

Megansman

It is too late for flower's hubby for this advice but for anyone else lurking here who's thinking about driving...

Become an air driver first. Around here, the class is only a week compared to two weeks for full time drivers, and there's very little pressure compared to full time driving. You'll probably go out your first Saturday with 7-10 stops -- about 2 stops per hour. That's more than enough time to figure out where they're at, drive there safely (remember how big the truck felt and that eerie feeling of that open door right next to you?) and call the supervisor because you can't remember which button to hit.

Void, Escape, Big Arrow Up will get you out of any jam you might encounter on the board. I still have that written down somewhere...

SmithBarney

2 weeks for driver training? not here, 1 week(air or fulltime) 2 weeks for Feeders.
Really all the driving training is, is learning the DIAD, otherwise the majority of your learning will take place on road, learning your area.

tieguy

Banned
EVERYONE is lost the first week or so on their own. You can't learn it watching a movie or sitting in a class. You have to experience it for yourself and it will get easier in time. Just remember that until he retires he will be told day after day after day that he isn't doing good enough. My best advise is to develop a thick skin and a warped sense of humor and do everyting by the book. .

Yep. Keep plugging away at it. I found I stunk it up for a while and then everything finally fell into place around day 20 to 25.

beatupbrown

First take a diad home and practice on it. Then find out the route he is training on, get in his car during the weekend and drive learn the streets in and out. Figure out the block number to what street name. You need to run you rear off, do not take lunch inhale sandwiches and water and something sweet. This is a dangerous time because of the pace you have to go, and get use to the truck. If you follow the methods you will not scratch
Be careful good luck:thumbup1:

PAS'd out

This ain't rocket science
[evil]First of all beware of what you ask for. [/evil]

It has been 20+ years since I started (well before DIAD) but I still can vividly remember about 3 days in, sitting in the back of my package car, looking around and wondering just what the h*** I had gotten myself into. It took me several weeks to get to an acceptable level and about 2 months to really figure it out.

If I had to guess, DIAD is not his biggest problem. It is probably the amount of time spent in the back selecting (or looking at) packages.

Focus, Focus, Focus. He needs to know mentally where his next several stops are. If he is in a PAS building, slide his next 5 or so stops forward on he shelf they are on. If he is not, spend as little time as possible sorting and again keep packages in that 30 inch selection area. Select the package(s), get out of the car, get a signature (or DR package), get back in and get going. Keys on right ring finger at all times, ignition key teeth down on way back to car. Hate to sound like a sup, but these are some of the things needed to succeed at this game of beat the clock.

Oh by the way, work your butt off as well.

I agree with steelheader stay calm don't get frustrated,not staying calm will cause you to not do your methods which may cause an injury or accident. If your husband has been a preloader for 12 yrs. then I'm guessing he should have a good co-worker relationship with other drivers who would be willing to help him out. So get their cell #'s and call them with questions. I too recently went driving after 11yrs and have been helped out of jams by my fellow drivers/friends not only when i went full time but when i utility drove for 2 1/2 yrs. But do not forget to return the favor back to them when they need help with some stops, because the only one that is usually going to help you is another driver. When I went ft I was put into the only area in our center that I had not drove utility in so I was totally unfamiliar with the area. I came in early during my 30 days and pre-recorded all my business stops, ran my ass off on my residentials, skipped lunch until i had the route down. Try to talk to any other driver who has ran his route for any tips usually buying lunch is a good trade for info. Pre-record your call tags so you don't forget them and have to double back. A fellow driver had me write all my air on an info notice and stick it on the window to my right or anywhere that is easily visible and put star next to the ones I had ground packages for, it can be a time saver if you can get the whole delivery off with the air, if he has the time. I too went through the same thing of getting laid off, in my area if you are laid off for 5 consecutive days you are allowed to come back into the hub everyday until you drive for 10 consecutive days. (ex. If you drive for 9 days straight then laid off again you are allowed to come back inside the hub.) If he is at top scale working the preload then get asked to drive makes for a long day but a very nice paycheck. Everything he is going through is the normal crap that I believe we have all seen and been through when we go ft. So follow the methods, stay calm, make the 30 days, and then make sure to take his lunch and breaks.:thumbup1:

DS

Fenderbender
You guys are all really great and encouraging...which is what I expected from fellow Teamsters/Drivers.
Thanks so much!!!!!!!
I can even begin to explain how much all of this information and encouragement helps.
Well its been a couple of weeks now Ms Flower of Fire...
hows he doing?You can be honest with us...
Is he working the drive thru at wingdings?
Or is he coping with ups well?

Cole

1 day isn't enough to disqualify him, and 120 was probably too much to be let go with on his 1st solo run. Tell him to stay calm, because once you start panicking things got get away from you. Tell him to call a fellow driver if he's having problems with the diad, or deliveries etc...

He'll get it once he gets the smalls things in order etc...

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
i think that's enough with the tips. he should find out by now if he's making the cut or not. i heard 7 guys went to 4 different centers in my building, so far only 1 guy is hanging? is the job getting tough now??? or maybe they are just out of shape?

Flower of Fire

Hot Little Package
Well...after doing 3 more weeks on the pre-load Jim (my husband) has driven for 4 days in a row. Whew! Thought it would never happen!
All of your tips have proven very valuable and the most valuable was keeping in close contact with fellow drivers.
His first day back he was with an on-car sup, next day on his own...well for half the day. Mid-way in the sup came on car to help him to get done on time. But the next two days he did okay himself with about 120 stops. He went in at 8:30am and got done at about 5-ish.
I asked him how his times were and he said he didn't know because he doesn't look at the sheets. Which may be a good thing since he gets discouraged so easily. I know he's been busting his hinder so I'm sure he's doing okay.
He does tell me how hard of a time he has organizing and planning ahead and remembering everything. He's always been more of a physical worker than a mental one. But that will become second nature, I'm sure.
:) Again I thank all of you for your words of wisdom and encouragement!
I'll keep you posted as 30 days draws near!

trickpony1

I'll make my suggestion again.......
Fix him several sandwiches, sports drinks, bananas....whatever he likes to take with him.
He can refuel while he sorts his next few stops, gathers his thoughts and plans his next hour or two.
do whatever it takes (excluding having an accident) to make his thirty days.
Good Luck :thumbup1:

tieguy

Banned
I'll make my suggestion again.......
Fix him several sandwiches, sports drinks, bananas....whatever he likes to take with him.
He can refuel while he sorts his next few stops, gathers his thoughts and plans his next hour or two.
do whatever it takes (excluding having an accident) to make his thirty days.
Good Luck :thumbup1:

good advice for the majority of his 30 days. May not be any good if he has to go on a qualifying ride to make his thirty days. at that point he would be expected to take his hour lunch.

SmithBarney

30 day qualifying ride, is basically a final evaluation if your doing the job well..
(their last chance to fire you)
I was lucky and didn't have to take my 30th day ride(they forgot what day I was on... so I qualified by default)
Granted if you do a good enough job, it doesn't really matter.

over9five

Staff member
"Granted if you do a good enough job, it doesn't really matter."

Agree with that. They don't ride with anyone who's doing a good job on their 30th day.

Fullhouse

Down here it's 30 consecutive days from the first day. Same route also. If he dosent make it there will be a reason to greive that decision. We had that happen one time before, where a new hire was not put on for 30 consecutive days and then he got disquailfied. Filed on it, got a sec chance at the job and earned it!

M

Midwest Upser

Wondering who actually had the final ride at day 30 during training?? I didn't have one and most of the guys in my center didn't either. One gal did and made it......think they really felt they needed her though.